doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC English side by side pigeon guns - 09/26/23 06:54 PM
I see that some English Best Quality pigeon guns seem to be selling. Is there a real market now for these guns? What would people be using them for?
Asking since I have two at this time.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/26/23 07:47 PM
Clay pigeons for a guess ,the ideal gun for s/side comps.High pheasants also, being heavy they can fire heavy loads and lots of them.
Posted By: teeny350 Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/26/23 08:22 PM
Charlie @ British Sporting Arms just sold one of my pigeon guns over the summer. I used it for driven birds, S x S events and weekly sporting with the local "old men".

Two barrel set / 1938 Purdey Pigeon Gun purchased in 2009 and gently refreshed/re-stocked by Keith Dennison Thomas in 2012.

I will miss that gun, but have several others that have been safe queens to long!
Posted By: eightbore Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/26/23 09:02 PM
There are many sporting clays courses that prefer a modified and full combination. How about shooting pigeons with a pigeon gun? That's what my pigeon guns are used for. They are comfortable with full 1 1/8 ounce trap loads. Many of my pigeon guns have also been safe queens, but I try to use them as much as possible. My search for a late, high condition, Purdey hammer pigeon gun with 1 1/4 ounce proof has been going on for decades, now the search is over. The Guyette and Deeter auction in Maryland this month had a major selection of pigeon guns, mostly Parkers, that should satisfy many collectors. By the way, my Purdey came out of a small local gun store, 25 miles from home, not from a big name auction house.
Posted By: eeb Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/26/23 09:24 PM
The sleepers are the Continental guns that have all the bells and whistles but don’t have the name of a British best. The second and third tier British makers also make quality pigeon guns at a fraction of the top tiers.
Posted By: eightbore Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/26/23 09:49 PM
I agree with eeb 100%. Any big pigeon gun of high quality is a great choice for a shooting gun.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/27/23 03:41 PM
A couple of years ago at the Southern I picked up a 1906 Purdey pigeon gun. It has been re-socked very nicely. You can tell the previous owner was a pigeon shooter as there were some small things done to it. Weighs 7lbs 12oz.
Last Southern I picked up a 1897 Joseph Lang & Sons hammer pigeon that had been sleeved very properly to 32". It's been at my Gunsmith since then getting re-stored back to proper condition. Coming home in the next couple of weeks.
Problem is finding a case for 32" barrels is impossible. I may end up selling it. BTW it weighs in at 8lbs 3oz.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/27/23 05:02 PM
What type of case do you want ? Oak/leather, mahogany, oak, leather/canvas
Posted By: PALUNC Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/27/23 06:14 PM
would prefer a vintage English leather case. But beggars can't be choosey
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/27/23 10:35 PM
Have a good Manton and Co. leather case that measures 32 1/8" wall to wall. $430 plus freight.
I have a 32" Leg of Mutton. It measures 33" so could handle a 3rd fastner with no problem. It's in pretty good shape.

Joe in Charlotte
Posted By: susjwp Re: English side by side pigeon guns - 09/28/23 07:10 PM
Why not have George Pitelko make one fitted precisely to that gun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com