doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nitrah Westley Drop lock copy - 11/05/23 06:11 PM
I was offered a Jap copy of a Westley droplock in game gun configuration, 28" barrels, single selective trigger. Stamped Tokyo on water table . 2 1/2" chamber gun. Stock checkering was worn and a few dings in wood but otherwise in decent shape. About $4K. Another friend collector told me to run away.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/05/23 06:22 PM
There were some excellent Japanese gunsmiths, and the quality MIGHT be equal to an original WR but even if it is consider the struggle you would face if try to re-sell it.

Yours friend’s advice is sound.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/05/23 11:29 PM
4k sounds steep for a copy of a WR droplock of unknown quality when there are serviceable originals on GI for around 13K retail, which is probably already steep.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/06/23 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
4k sounds steep for a copy of a WR droplock of unknown quality when there are serviceable originals on GI for around 13K retail, which is probably already steep.
Not for the original subgauge guns.
Posted By: mc Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/06/23 12:38 AM
There is a Westley Richards on this site guns for sale around 7000
Posted By: mc Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/06/23 12:39 AM
Is this Japanese gun a small bore?
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/06/23 02:14 AM
The BC Miroku Model FE is a H&H clone manufactured in Japan. At the time Miroku was manufacturing SXSs, this was their top of the line model. Were I to have an opportunity, I would buy a Miroku Model FE regardless of resale difficulty and enjoy the pleasure of shooting a very nice shotgun the remainder of my shooting days. The Japanese built some very nice shotguns that never reached the American market to establish themselves for the value they represent.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/06/23 03:57 PM
A friend had a Tokyo copy of a WR droplock. It was a very fine gun in every way.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/06/23 08:24 PM
It is a 12 bore. If it was a 20, I probably would have jumped on it
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/06/23 10:03 PM
Look at Hill rod and gun archive. They had one a couple of years ago, might have the sales price listed.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/07/23 12:59 AM
I don’t believe I have ever handled a crummy Japanese double shotgun. The Spanish could have learned a few things from them.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/07/23 01:47 AM
http://www.hillrodandgun.com/archivepicture.php?id=12435

It was listed for $2200 and apparently had unshootably thin barrels at .009.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/08/23 02:20 PM
I’ve seen and handled a French made drop lock BLE. The guy who owns it didn’t even know it had hand detachable locks! I noticed that guns action was void of any screws or axle pins, then I noticed a small cover plate release that was visible when the forend was removed. Hmmmm. He was pretty surprised when I pushed in the cover plate release to access and remove the locks.
I cannot remember the maker of the gun. It was of very good quality. I don’t think he paid over 1k for it either. He purchased it from Cabelas when Cabelas used to wheel and deal in double guns. Those were the days.
Posted By: Bluestem Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/08/23 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by LeFusil
I’ve seen and handled a French made drop lock BLE. The guy who owns it didn’t even know it had hand detachable locks! I noticed that guns action was void of any screws or axle pins, then I noticed a small cover plate release that was visible when the forend was removed. Hmmmm. He was pretty surprised when I pushed in the cover plate release to access and remove the locks.
I cannot remember the maker of the gun. It was of very good quality. I don’t think he paid over 1k for it either. He purchased it from Cabelas when Cabelas used to wheel and deal in double guns. Those were the days.

I distinctly recall Postoak's look of horror when he saw you holding several pieces of his new shotgun in your hand. That look was quickly replaced by an ear-to-ear grin when you revealed that he had lucked into something special. Another fond Flatwater memory.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/11/23 03:56 PM
Take a look at the Merkel droplock , here.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...lat&Number=637314&gonew=1#UNREAD
Posted By: postoak Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/17/23 03:06 AM
LeFusil & Bluestem that was certainly a surprise !

I bought that gun for less than 800 dollars as I recall.

Based upon research I learned that the Belgian maker ARMAF was a consortium of earlier makers, and that the drop lock was of mine was originated by the maker J. Ronge about the same time as Westley Richards version.

Week after next I am taking it pheasant and quail hunting in western Kansas.

Good to be remembered old friends !
Posted By: Bluestem Re: Westley Drop lock copy - 11/17/23 01:34 PM
Good to hear from you, Postoak, and that you are still shooting that gun. I heard that there may be one or two pheasants left in Kansas, but so far it is just a rumor. Quail numbers are decent, though. Good luck!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com