doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC One for you old timers - 12/04/23 12:31 PM
Posted By: susjwp Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 12:40 PM
Very nice. Holts, Nick I think, posted a video similar last year shooting muzzle loaders.
Posted By: ed good Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 12:56 PM
cool...
Posted By: Vol423 Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 01:26 PM
I can't believe that silly ponytail on that old fart! I wonder who he is trying to impress, Himself?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Vol423
I can't believe that silly ponytail on that old fart! I wonder who he is trying to impress, Himself?

Why in the world do you care?
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 02:17 PM
]
Posted By: David Williamson Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 08:05 PM
Very enjoyable, thanks for sharing.
At least the guy with the pony tail could.
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Vol423

as i heard it,... some men's hair turns gray, and some men's hair turns loose....for myself, i spent more time trying to figure out what he was saying than admiring his ponytail...

best regards,

tom
Posted By: ed good Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 11:22 PM
back in the eighties there was a healthy competition between ml shotgun shooters in arkansas and missouri...

anybody else here remember those days?

the reighing inter state champ was a crop duster pilot...

his winning gun was an english made gun by cook...

first and only cook i ever saw...

i came upon it at an auction in ct...

my friend from arkansaw claimed he could not miss with that gun...

wonder what happened to him and his cook doublegon...

an back then, seems like every ww greener ml that passed thru my hands went to ark or mo...
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by graybeardtmm3
[quote=Vol423]I can't believe that silly ponytail on that old fart! I wonder who he is trying to impress, Himself?

as i heard it,... some men's hair turns gray, and some men's hair turns loose....for myself, i spent more time trying to figure out what he was saying than admiring his ponytail...

best regards,

Tom

]
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: One for you old timers - 12/04/23 11:40 PM
hell, when nick and the loader were speaking the cc was functional....when the rest of them were speaking for 30-40 seconds - the "translator" was offering 2 or 3 words...

tom
Posted By: tw Re: One for you old timers - 12/05/23 02:43 AM
Great to see those gents having a bloody good time w/some old iron kept in high condition being put to its intended use. Thank you for sharing that w/us!
Posted By: Hugh Lomas Re: One for you old timers - 12/05/23 02:50 AM
The Gent with the Pony Tail is speaking German most of the time. As he adresses the camera he speaks native German, when talking to the loader etc he speaks English.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: One for you old timers - 12/05/23 04:54 PM
[quote=ed good]back in the eighties there was a healthy competition between ml shotgun shooters in arkansas and missouri...

They may still be going strong. Back in April I was passing through southeast Missouri and came on quite the black powder rendezvous going on along the St. Francis river above Wappapello.

(BTW beautiful Ozark country that.)
Posted By: CJO Re: One for you old timers - 12/07/23 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Hugh Lomas
The Gent with the Pony Tail is speaking German most of the time. As he adresses the camera he speaks native German, when talking to the loader etc he speaks English.

First thing he opens with:

“ A very big part of the hunting tradition we now surround ourselves with comes from the British Isles and British hunters”

He’s speaking Danish Hugh…

CJ
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: One for you old timers - 12/07/23 02:50 AM
I loved it. Having shot clays, doves, and pointed wild quail with a 16b m/l doublegun I can relate to much of it.

Did you notice the loader blowing down the bores before loading, in one sequence? There are at least two logical and important reasons to do so. First, when you blow down the bores from the muzzle, and you see smoke exit the nipples, it ensures that they're indeed open for the next shot, and not clogged. Secondly, the moisture from your breath helps to extinguish any remaining smoldering embers that could possibly be in the bore from a previous shot, and would set off the powder charge about to be dumped down bore. An accidental discharge of powder alone could very well result in singeing the loader's eyebrows, or even damaging his eyes. Not to mention soiling his undies.

As to the ponytail criticism, get over it. He is expressing himself in his own way, and not harming anyone in the process.

I enjoyed that video, Mike!
Posted By: Fudd Re: One for you old timers - 12/07/23 03:03 AM
"What is that?"

"Percussion cap. Ye've done this, have ye--"

"Yeah, yeah."

Love it.
Posted By: damascus Re: One for you old timers - 12/07/23 07:55 PM
I did find myself suppressed by the remark that one of the contributors made about the length of the hair by one of the men in the video. I can only assume that person prefers military short back and sides hair cut though less genius he may have Male pattern baldness. Now one thing in common we Brits have with our German cousins is a strong historic military re-enactment enjoyed by many. So to give him the benefit of the doubt he may be a member of that group like myself, now this may come as a bit of a shock, that yours truly has hair as long or may be longer than his also I have in a pony tail or top Knot and is not grey with no dye involved, even though I would like to see my seventy fifth birthday again . Yes I am a member of the "sealed knot" society (just google it) the re-enactment is from British history the Cromwell era and long hair was the norm in those times. Now every three years I have my hair cut off and I donate it to a charity "Little Princess Trust" who provide wigs for young girls who have lost theirs due to cancer chemotherapy. Well you "goby fart" you know who I am referring to, a bit of advice "engage brain before opening ones mouth" and never judge a book by its cover.

Ernie aka Damascus
Posted By: Steve Nash Re: One for you old timers - 12/08/23 06:13 PM
As someone with a long silver ponytail, I have to say something...

Great to see people enjoying themselves with old guns. Put someone in the group with a pin-fire, firing three or more shots to everyone else's, and it would take you back to the 1850s. It is easy to see the part horror, part jealousy, that some would have felt to the new invention!

Thanks for posting the video.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com