doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ducks Rx Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/07/23 04:55 AM
Clay Shooters Supply is advertising Game Bore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells. Loaded with 1 oz lead shot travels @1225 fps with fiber wads. Anyone know what Pressures (psi) might be?
$179.99 and $9.99 flat rate shipping
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/07/23 01:33 PM
Not disclosed in the brochure
https://gameboreus.com/files/brochure.pdf
or the website
https://gamebore.com/cartridge/game/regal

There is a contact https://gamebore.com/contact
If they share, please let us know.
Posted By: Ducks Rx Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/07/23 03:06 PM
Tried the website contact address, however would not accept my email attempt. I emailed Clay Shooters Supply to see if they may have this information. Currently awaiting a reply. update Clay Shooters Supply only has same info as Game Bore lists on there website with Zero

info regarding pressures
Posted By: HistoricBore Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/07/23 05:27 PM
Over here we don't worry about all these pressure issues. Mostly all the 2.5" loading are reasonably mild, and sound like they are subsonic when fired next door to you.

I tend to prefer Hull cartridges to Gamebore, but they both are fine.

HB
Posted By: Tim Cartmell Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/07/23 10:55 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that Gamebore Regal was a re-brand of the discontinued Gamebore Pure Gold cartridges. If I remember correctly when I bought Gamebore Pure Gold a few years back, it had a pressure rating that was just under 8000 psi. I think it was around 7800 or 7900 psi at about 1200 fps (for 12 bore, 2 1/2 inch, 1 ounce loads), the paper case cartridges were less, maybe 6500 psi. But it looks like the Gamebore Regal is pushing 1425 fps now? So maybe they have changed the recipe?

Anyway, it seems that Diggory Hadoke endorses the Gamebore Regal cartridges for use in pre-war vintage English shotguns. So they must be okay. Cartridges for Vintage Guns

_____
TC
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/08/23 11:17 PM
I purchased some of the Gamebore EVO 2 1/2" shells last summer. 1220 FPS, they were pretty "HOT" to say the least. In fact I had to give up shooting them that day because the pressure was so much I couldn't open the gun after shooting the first shot at each station.
They were felt wads, not sure if that had any effect on the way they performed.
Shot one box, sold the other nine boxes.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/09/23 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by PALUNC
I purchased some of the Gamebore EVO 2 1/2" shells last summer. 1220 FPS, they were pretty "HOT" to say the least. In fact I had to give up shooting them that day because the pressure was so much I couldn't open the gun after shooting the first shot at each station.
They were felt wads, not sure if that had any effect on the way they performed.
Shot one box, sold the other nine boxes.

The Gamebore Evo 21g 12 bore loads are very considerably 'hotter' than the equivalent Hull Cartridge CompX 21g cartridge. I much prefer the Hull Cartridge product.
Posted By: greener4me Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/09/23 09:53 AM
I recently read a comparative test of different British game cartridges, and although not a recent comparison, the Gamebore shells were at the hotter end for pressure of those tested. If anyone is particularly interested I can send on a copy, albeit the cartridges under test may no longer be marketed or perhaps sold under a different "name".
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/09/23 03:13 PM
I shot two boxes of Gamebore Regal shells last week at trap. They were pretty punchy and the report was not the "softer" sound one might expect from fiber wads.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/09/23 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by HistoricBore
Over here we don't worry about all these pressure issues. Mostly all the 2.5" loading are reasonably mild, and sound like they are subsonic when fired next door to you.

I tend to prefer Hull cartridges to Gamebore, but they both are fine.

HB

You probably don't worry about it because you have a greater selection and greater availability.
I bought a case and the recoil was pretty snappy. I called Gamebore USA and the 1400 fps is measured at the muzzle and not the usual 3 feet from the muzzle, which is around 1200 fps. The Gamebore Rep. assured me it was suitable for vintage shotguns. I bought some RST and it had slightly less recoil, but not that much.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/11/23 04:21 AM
Like Mike, I bought a flat of these this summer. Way too hot for a vintage gun or Damascus barrels. The pressure must be way up there. If you are used to shooting RST, these will feel like a magnum.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/11/23 08:25 AM
I get the impression that the people who develope Gamebore `s 2 1/2" loads have never used a s/side game gun at all ! They`re always `hot` compared to other makers .
Hull Cartridge `Three Crowns` are probably the kindest loading here in UK.Hth.
Posted By: HistoricBore Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/11/23 12:49 PM
I have just used up 50 Hull Three Crowns paper case 2.5" cartridges that I was given. They were at least 40 years old, and all functioned perfectly, bringing driven pheasant down cleanly.

I understand that the MD / CEO / owner of Hull has been in the USA a couple of weeks ago "on business" ....

HB
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 12/11/23 05:00 PM
You can still get "Three Crowns" in 28 gr and 30 gr. Around GBP 510 per 1000

You can get Imperial Game in 26, 28 and 30 gr. Around GBP 415 per 1000

You can also now get Imperial Traditional Steel Hydrowad in 28 gr - (in theory anyway). A steel load for 2 1/2" chambers up to 1/2 choke. I say 'in theory' because no one local to me keeps any stock and I want to buy a box or two to try before committing to a larger quantity. Around GBP 540 per 1000

https://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/game-hunting-cartridges/imperial-traditional-steel-hydo/
Posted By: Tim Cartmell Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 01/13/24 05:48 PM
I noted on the Gamebore website that the Regal cartridges are labelled as being moderate recoil.

I contacted the Canadian Kent cartridge distributor and they confirmed with Gamebore UK that the Gamebore Regal shot shells are loaded to the same pressures as their old Gamebore Pure Gold cartridges. See attached 2 1/2 inch cartridge thread discussion (2015). The Gamebore Pure Gold, 2 1/2 inch (12 gauge, 1 ounce) cartridge pressures were recorded as being 7832 psi and 6526 psi for the he paper hull version. "Various 2_1/2 inch loads for damascus"

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the Gamebore Super Game High Bird cartridges are for recoil? I see they are labelled on the UK Gamebore website as being low recoil.
_____
TC
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 01/13/24 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Cartmell
I noted on the Gamebore website that the Regal cartridges are labelled as being moderate recoil.

I contacted the Canadian Kent cartridge distributor and they confirmed with Gamebore UK that the Gamebore Regal shot shells are loaded to the same pressures as their old Gamebore Pure Gold cartridges. See attached 2 1/2 inch cartridge thread discussion (2015). The Gamebore Pure Gold, 2 1/2 inch (12 gauge, 1 ounce) cartridge pressures were recorded as being 7832 psi and 6526 psi for the he paper hull version. "Various 2_1/2 inch loads for damascus"

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the Gamebore Super Game High Bird cartridges are for recoil? I see they are labelled on the UK Gamebore website as being low recoil.
_____
TC

That is exactly my understanding as well. Not surprising as it comes from the same source. I know CJO uses Kent Regal regularly in the vintage gins he's shooting. I have a bunch of the Regals and a bunch of RST. I tend to use the Regal when hunting as the recoil from a few shots at wild birds tends not to register. I did the same with the old Gamebore Pure Gold.
Posted By: Tim Cartmell Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 01/14/24 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by canvasback
That is exactly my understanding as well. Not surprising as it comes from the same source. I know CJO uses Kent Regal regularly in the vintage gins he's shooting. I have a bunch of the Regals and a bunch of RST. I tend to use the Regal when hunting as the recoil from a few shots at wild birds tends not to register. I did the same with the old Gamebore Pure Gold.
canvasback,

Have you ever tried the Gamebore Pure Gold or Regal, 2 1/2 inch, 12 gauge traditional paper hull cartridges that supposedly have the lower pressure rating of ~6500 psi? I was wondering how they were for felt recoil? My experience is limited to the standard Gamebore Pure Gold cartridges at ~7800 psi.
_____
TC
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gamebore Regal 12 ga 2.5 in shells - 01/14/24 09:15 PM
Tim. I've used the Pure Gold paper. In fact I still have a few boxes. Mt recollection is they are a bit softer that the standard Regal/Pure Gold, but not as soft as RST.

I have not bought any Regal in paper but would if they were available.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com