doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 03:05 PM
After weeks of above-average temperatures, winter roared back here with abandon last night. We had planned a little get-together with friends for a post-Christmas game-dinner so I was out shoveling my driveway (which is very steep). Things got bad slippery pretty fast and I fell. I knew when I landed that I was in trouble. We went ahead with the dinner but cut the evening short as I was starting to suffer a bit too-much (the Old-Fashioneds weren't helping). Headed up to the local hospital emergency room (this one seemed to justify the real thing) and sadly...it did. Broken tibia and fibia with surgery planned for pins and screws in my left leg. So -much for winter pheasant this year, eh?
Posted By: SKB Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 03:08 PM
Oh no! So very sorry to hear that Lloyd, heal up fast and well.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 03:10 PM
Ouch,

So sorry to hear that Lloyd.

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery,

Parabola
Posted By: Philbert Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 03:11 PM
So sorry to hear that. All the best for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 03:14 PM
Sick to hear this, Lloyd. This “blow” has been a bad one and now this fall. So sorry. Our family has used Parker Adventist a number of times over the years. You’re in good hands. 🙏
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 03:16 PM
Lloyd,
Sorry to hear of your fall. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Karl
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: dogon Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident & injury from it.

Living in the area, I can sure relate to the crazy weather we've been having. I shot a round of sporting clays last Thursday in a tee-shirt with temps in the low sixties, three days later I had the show shovel in hand and I-70 was closed in both directions out of Denver with blizzard conditions. Go-Figure!!

Hope you have a complete & speedy recovery!!
Posted By: ed good Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 03:58 PM
bummer...
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 03:58 PM
Prayers for a speedy recovery, Lloyd. Dang...
JR
Posted By: Researcher Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 04:16 PM
When the first flake falls I don't step out the door without my studs --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 04:44 PM
Good luck Lloyd. I know what it's like. I had shoulder surgery right after Thanksgiving last year. Trying to make up for it this year. Find a fitness/therapy plan you can work on in the meantime.
Posted By: MattH Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 04:46 PM
A speedy recovery to you!
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 04:52 PM
Ouch! I can feel that pain from here. Hope you have a speedy recovery Lloyd. Due to various surgeries I have had to say "maybe next season" now for three years. It gets reealllllly old!! Good luck with your recovery.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 04:53 PM
Getting old ain’t for sissies.
Posted By: Porkskins79 Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 05:37 PM
Hate to hear that! I can relate. I got into a mtn biking accident at the beginning of dove season in 2020. Took 13 pins to fix my fractured shoulder and torn tendons. Haven’t been right since. Hoping for a speedy recovery for ya!
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 08:17 PM
Best of luck with the surgery.
Posted By: Skeeterbd Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 08:37 PM
Wishing you a very quick recovery

All the best

Skeeterbd
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 09:11 PM
Sorry, Lloyd.

Every year, it seems, there is a roadblock that goes up in our perfect season wishes. You commented to me one year, “how many seasons do we have left”, advice I’ve done my best to take to heart.

I’ve made the decision that I am going to retire in 2 1/2 years. Your advice is a factor.

Heal that leg. We have miles to go before we sleep.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: GLS Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 10:06 PM
Damn, Lloyd. Wish a speedy recovery and a better new year. Gil
Posted By: gjw Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 10:12 PM
Wishing you a very speedy recovery!

Best Regards

Greg
Posted By: skeettx Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 10:16 PM
Lloyd,
May you heal quickly and it be complete
Mike
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 10:22 PM
So sorry for your accident. Will also be praying for a speedy and complete recovery. Best wishes my friend.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 10:44 PM
Thank you for all the kind words Folks, I sure appreciate it.

Ted...

None of us ever know. Seasons spent afield are clearly finite. I don't think anyone fully considers their increasing fragility until they realize that they're done. The ability to cover ground efficiently and then be effective in your weapon of choice are the barriers, and at some point you simply can't get over them. The physical limitations stack up to where a point of no-return is reached.

The irony of last night was that it was our Christmas game dinner (featuring grouse, elk and walleye offerings) something that my wife and I do for old hunting and fishing friends. I toughed it out so I could participate before finally heading off to hospital. I didn't want to miss it for essentially the same reason....you never know.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your fall, Lloyd. Good luck on the surgery. Let things heal, then get back after'em...Geo
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 11:00 PM
Lloyd,
Thankfully you've had a good season this past Autumn, and you'll be looking forward and planning next year's getaway. When I hit health roadblocks, looking forward to next year keeps me optimistic. Having something to look forward to really helps!
My best wishes to you,
Karl
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 11:03 PM
Lloyd, Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. You need to make the Vintagers dinner in February.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/27/23 11:27 PM
Lloyd, I’m sorry to hear of your accident. Easy to do. I tore my rotator cuff as a result of a fall on ice about 10 years ago. First real injury or health problem I had ever had. Now they are piling up. As someone else noted, getting old ain’t for sissies. Lol.

Good luck and I hope the surgery goes well.
Posted By: keith Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/28/23 12:32 AM
Ouch, that really sucks Lloyd. And being out of commission for probably 6 to 8 weeks is never a good thing either. I hope your surgery goes well, and that you have a speedy recovery. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/28/23 01:02 AM
at 74, i have come to believe that everything in life is temporal....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_too_shall_pass

we should enjoy the pleasant and happy times, and be willing to persevere the unfavorable and sad - neither is permanent.

as arlo gutherie sang..... just waiting for it to come around again...

sorry to learn that you drew the short straw....make the best of it, and look forward to better days.

best regards,
tom
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/28/23 01:49 AM
Best wishes for a quick and painless recovery!
Posted By: old colonel Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/28/23 01:54 AM
I wish you well.
Posted By: Woodreaux Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/29/23 02:28 AM
sorry to hear this as well. Praying for speedy recovery and unexpected blessings in the time spent off your feet.
Posted By: limapapa Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/30/23 02:53 AM
I feel your pain. I lucked out and slipped at the top of our drive and only landed on the back of my head--nothing there to hurt. Sorry you'll miss our Polar Bear Trap shoot. We'll all be thinking of you. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. Mike
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/30/23 03:14 PM
Lloyd,
Shooting can provide a therapy if you are able to just get out there. Sometimes life is just too short not to get out there! This I know!
Karl
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/30/23 05:00 PM
Karl:

Bless you! Looks like we both had the same "deal" bestowed upon us. Same leg even. Mine is a two-tone lightgrey-darkgrey "walking boot" that comes up to my knee. It works great for everything except sleep (racing ski-boots aren't any bigger or heavier). Confirmed the need for the surgery yesterday but need to get some swelling down first (aren't all newly broken things usually swollen?). Anyway, go back in early next week to set the date. Liked my doctor and his crew (which helps, at least for me).

As to shooting therapy, we've got a "new" old gun here that needs to be checked out and I've got to go down into my "magazine" to select the appropriate loads for that task. My boy will have to do the honors but I'll be in the truck cab watching closely. Santa Claus also brought me a flat of 12-bore 2 1/2-inch hammergun shells from RST for Christmas that will work in my son's new gun as well. Serendipitous!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These were 16s from a few years ago now (pre-COVID), but the latest box looked much the same. The selections weren't quite as vast as they were then (the webpage was mostly sold-out and my selection was one of the last options available), but it makes for a welcomed gift when you can't think of anything else to tell your wife to get you.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/30/23 07:09 PM
lloyd,
Several years ago after undergoing a soft tissue repair of my left shoulder, and waiting a few weeks, I went out on the sporting clays course with my friends and shot some clays one armed/right handed with my 20 ga. Merkel to good effect. It felt really good!
Be aware that it takes 4-6 weeks for soft tissue recovery, but 8-12 weeks for bone. At our ages, sometimes because we can, doesn't mean we should!
Karl
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Wouldn't you just know? - 12/31/23 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Karl Graebner
At our ages, sometimes because we can, doesn't mean we should! Karl

My thought exactly, when I saw your bare toes out in sub-freezing temps! grin

Heal quickly, my friend.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com