doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good Cheek Rests - 01/21/24 06:08 PM
So why did the Germans build guns with cheek rests and no body else did?

ah like erm...

the gun just feels better against my cheek...

an it provides a solid anchor point, so ah naturally keep my head down, which is supposed to keep me from shooting high...

ah think...

watt bout you?
Posted By: mc Re: Cheek Rests - 01/22/24 12:34 AM
So what kinda gun you trying to sell?
Posted By: keith Re: Cheek Rests - 01/23/24 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by mc
So what kinda gun you trying to sell?

mc, I'm guessing Ed may, at some point, try to sell a German shotgun that has a cheekpiece on the stock.

I have ESP about things like that. It's amazing how often my predictions come true.

And if Ed advertises that German gun in the For Sale forum here, I'm all but certain that he will pay Dave Weber the $12.00 fee for successful sales done as a result of that ad.

No ESP is needed to predict that, because Ed reminds buyers of the guns he sells to let him know if they saw his ad here... so Dave gets paid.

Nothing wrong with that, right? Don't you think that's a lot better than the guys/gals who do continual Free Advertising of business ventures in their Tag-Lines... and don't pay Dave when they make a sale?

I know low-class sleazy behavior when I see it, and don't need my ESP to know it either. What do you think mc?
Posted By: mc Re: Cheek Rests - 01/23/24 03:51 PM
I think decaf keith.but EDD should pay more for putting us through his crap.Dave Webber is a grownup and I'm sure capable of handling his business.but I thank you for being so concerned for Mr.Webber you are a true humanitarian,and I thank you.Mark
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Cheek Rests - 01/23/24 04:32 PM
I always felt that if you advertise on this website you should pay for advertising, whether you sell the gun on here or not. You're using his website to advertise and he should be compensated for that. I also agree with some of the other websites who tell you that if you're going to sell a gun on this website, you should not be able to do it without posting pictures to show the gun. It is bad enough to buy something off of the internet, but you should at least be able to look at pictures of it before you buy it. But, that's just me. Have a nice day.
Posted By: ed good Re: Cheek Rests - 01/24/24 12:34 AM
say, jimmy, this thread is not an advertisement for anything...

to see advertisements for guns for sale go over on the for sale forum...

take a look, if you like or not...
Posted By: ed good Re: Cheek Rests - 01/24/24 12:34 AM
now, about dim german cheek rests...
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Cheek Rests - 01/24/24 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by ed good
say, jimmy, this thread is not an advertisement for anything...

to see advertisements for guns for sale go over on the for sale forum...

take a look, if you like or not...
I realize that nothing is for sale on this thread. But, people made comments about guns for sale, advertising and another person talked about Dave getting $12.00. I was just making a comment about the advertising methods. So, please continue with the cheek rest discussion. I find it extremely educational. smile
Posted By: SKB Re: Cheek Rests - 01/24/24 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by mc
I think decaf keith.

I'm thinking a quaalude would be more appropriate for billie.
Posted By: mark Re: Cheek Rests - 01/24/24 11:45 AM
I like cheek rest. But a lot of the market doesn’t.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cheek Rests - 01/24/24 12:34 PM
I have never cared for cheek rests on a shotgun. It is my belief that, even on a rifle, they are there mostly for aesthetics. They perform no basic function that cannot be achieved with a properly designed buttstock which does NOT have a cheek rest. In his great book, Stock Fitter's Bible, Rollin Oswald goes into great detail explaining why each part and dimension of a shotgun's stock is important. Nowhere have I found that he gives shotgun stocks with cheek rests even a casual mention, which is telling.

However, if one really likes that style of buttstock with a cheek rest it certainly cannot hinder anything in the way of good shooting, as long as the stock with it fits the shooter properly. Having shouldered several shotguns with cheek rests in my lifetime I've never found one that felt right for me. And, if I cannot mount the gun with my eyes closed, getting a good cheek contact with head upright, then open my eyes and find I am looking right down the rib, I will not be able to shoot it well.

In America the cheek rest has it's origins in the muzzleloading rifles of the 1700-1800 era. They were often built with a crescent shaped buttplate which was not intended to be fired from the shoulder pocket as we do with modern guns today, but the buttplate was intended to be placed just outside the shoulder joint, almost on the upper arm itself. This required more wood to be left on the cheek side of the buttstock to give cheek support for good, and steady aiming. I competed for many years in NMLRA patched roundball competitions at the state and national level, and I can assure you that every successful offhand rifle shooter used that stance and mount when shooting m/l rifles with a hooked buttplate. THAT is the reason it was commonplace in early America. The sideways stance required to shoot a m/l rifle this way also gave a battlefield advantage, a narrower target for the enemy. Pistol duelists on the frontier adopted this sideways stance for the same reason.
Posted By: Licensed to kill Re: Cheek Rests - 01/24/24 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I always felt that if you advertise on this website you should pay for advertising, whether you sell the gun on here or not. You're using his website to advertise and he should be compensated for that. I also agree with some of the other websites who tell you that if you're going to sell a gun on this website, you should not be able to do it without posting pictures to show the gun. It is bad enough to buy something off of the internet, but you should at least be able to look at pictures of it before you buy it. But, that's just me. Have a nice day.
To be fair, I was "perusing the site and noticed that an "Edmond Good" is a multiple donator to the site. Assuming that this is the same "Ed Good" posting here, its would appear that he DORS contribute financially to the site (while others do not). Just an observation from a newly.
Posted By: Licensed to kill Re: Cheek Rests - 01/24/24 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I have never cared for cheek rests on a shotgun. It is my belief that, even on a rifle, they are there mostly for aesthetics. They perform no basic function that cannot be achieved with a properly designed buttstock which does NOT have a cheek rest.
I can not comment regarding more modern rifles, but I can say with some conviction that that does NOT apply to period flintlocks. The cheek rest on a period flintlock serves a purpose and is very comfortable to shoot compared to one without. However, and this could be significant, the cheek rest on late 18th early 19th century flint rifles were not designed like that that we commonly see on more modern rifles. They are concave and tend to roll UNDER the cheek rather than just pushing the cheek out. For many years I built period flinters and would never dream of making one without the period correct cheek rest. Interestingly, even then, cheek rests were not common on shotguns though. It is also noteworthy that these same flint rifles that pretty much ALWAYS sported a cheek rest also were made with cast, 1/4" being not unusual, something I don't think is all that common on rifles of more recent vintage. For the record, I also do not care for a cheek rest of any kind on a shotgun.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Cheek Rests - 01/24/24 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill
To be fair, I was "perusing the site and noticed that an "Edmond Good" is a multiple donator to the site. Assuming that this is the same "Ed Good" posting here, its would appear that he DORS contribute financially to the site (while others do not). Just an observation from a newly.

Great!! Although, I was not referring to any SPECIFIC person in my statement. I just liked the way some other websites won't let you post the sale of a gun without posting pictures, (which Ed always does, by the way). And also, I always feel that if someone advertises on any website, or through ANY business, they should pay for that pleasure. Dave has always been gracious enough to not make people do that. So, I was not even looking who was posting, actually. I just saw the topics of gun sale, advertising and $12.00, and thought I would throw my thoughts out there on the matters. Please continue. I am truly enjoying the thread. smile
Posted By: keith Re: Cheek Rests - 01/25/24 12:45 AM
Great!! Although, I was not referring to any SPECIFIC person in my statement. I just liked the way some other websites won't let you post the sale of a gun without posting pictures, (which Ed always does, by the way). And also, I always feel that if someone advertises on any website, or through ANY business, they should pay for that pleasure. Dave has always been gracious enough to not make people do that. So, I was not even looking who was posting, actually. I just saw the topics of gun sale, advertising and $12.00, and thought I would throw my thoughts out there on the matters. Please continue. I am truly enjoying the thread. smile

Jimmy, there are a number of guys who post gun sale ads here without pictures, or even a link to pictures. But it appears that Ed does provide links to GunBroker or Guns International, where his guns are also listed. So it only takes me a simple mouse click on that link to see multiple pics of his guns. Now, that could be a real problem if I had some sad dystonia malady that caused me to flinch when I click on a computer mouse. Don't laugh. It's a real mental condition.

I agree with your thoughts about guys who advertise guns or services on this or any website. Dave is gracious enough to not require any fee for ads for items that do not sell. But he has made his feelings known about people who advertise their for-profit businesses here without any compensation. Yet we still see people doing continual Free Advertising in their tag-lines, or offering to sell guns, gunsmithing services, and other items in other forums, without any mention of an intent to pay Dave. This back-door approach should tell us something about their integrity. I hope I am never so low and desperate that I feel the need to cheat Dave out of $12.00 by doing something that I know is wrong.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Cheek Rests - 01/25/24 06:59 PM
I realize that Ed posts pictures of his guns by putting the website of them on here. I was actually applauding him for doing that. But I understand what you are saying. Thanks.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com