doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tfnaaf Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 02/19/24 11:58 PM
Looking for any information that someone may be able to provide on my Hollenbeck 3 barrel. I know it's missing 2 screws. One that's a Phillips head that I had that is temporary and the other is on the top that's missing. It has a replacement buttplate, and also a small dent in the left barrel (should be fairly easy to fix the dent). As you should be able to see in the photos that I hope show below, that it seems to be missing something. What exactly I'm not a 100% sure. The rifle barrel fires fine after cooking. On the other hand the 2 shotgun triggers seem to have zero spring tension. This I'm assuming is the main issue with the gun. From what I can see there has to be something missing. What I'm hoping for is that either one of you happen to have some photos of what it should look like, or better yet some dimensional drawings of what's what (lol like they exist anymore). Thanks in advance!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Posted By: skeettx Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 02/20/24 07:09 PM
Welcome on your first posting

Posted By: Tfnaaf Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 02/21/24 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by skeettx
Welcome on your first posting

I'm assuming from your post none of my images are visible? Please educate me on what I missed 😀 And thank you on the welcome. I've been a longtime reader. Just never had anything worthy of a post lol.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 02/21/24 01:21 AM
Click on any of the picture links above, move the cursor below the picture and hover over BB Code
Click on Copy and paste here.

Posted By: Tfnaaf Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 02/21/24 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by skeettx
Click on any of the picture links above, move the cursor below the picture and hover over BB Code
Click on Copy and paste here.

Thanks for the information! Is there a limit on photos per post? Seems like I can only post 10 pictures?
Posted By: Tfnaaf Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 02/21/24 02:41 AM
A few more photos of the gun...

Posted By: Carl Baird Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 03/08/24 01:02 AM
Hi, I have several Hollenbeck drillings but I’m not a smith. Do you know what caliber the rifle is, sometime you can find the caliber stamped on the lugs or barrel flats.
Looking at the internals it appears(and I’m guessing) the springs are missing for shotgun hammers.
You need to reach out to a gentleman named Tom Archer. I personally think he is the most knowledgeable person on everything Hollenbeck/Syracuse/Three Barrel and Royal Gun Co.
Carl
Posted By: Researcher Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 03/09/24 12:02 AM
The old factory ledger, I have a copy of, lists 738 as a Three-Barrel Gun Co. 12x12x.32-40 with 28-inch Damascus barrels, and half-pistol grip stock, shipped on 12/20/06 H.S.B.&Co. (Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & C0. in Chicago). It appears the Damascus barrels of 738 have been blued over. The Three-Barrel Gun Co. added the 0-grade to the line and beginning with serial number 654 the 0-grades comes to dominate the ledger. The 0-grade isn't in the little 1905 pocket catalog of The Three-Barrel Gun Co. but is in the 1906-07 catalog with either Damascus or Imported Steel Barrels. The 0-grade was only offered in 12-gauge and .32-40 or .30-30. By the 1908 The Three-Barrel Gun Co. catalog the 0-grade is listed with Crescent Steel Barrels.

The Feb. 13, 1900, patent date on the watertable of your gun is for Frank A. Hollenbeck's Patent No. 643,601 which covered the bolting mechanism used on these double and three-barrel West Virginia guns as well as the double gun produced by Baltimore Arms Co. The lock mechanism of the three-barrel guns was covered by Frank A, Hollenbeck's Patent No. 753,492 granted Mar. 1, 1904. I've never seen that date stamped on the guns, and Hollenbeck Gun Co. was headed into receivership by then.
Posted By: John E Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 03/09/24 01:25 PM
There is a slot cut in the frame like Hollenbeck's earlier Baltimore Arms and Syracuse Arms doubles. A bottom plate slides into this slot and the V- mainsprings are trapped between this plate and the hammers. The hanging sears should have springs between the sears and the top of the frame.

This link shows assy of a Syracuse double:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...;Main=43923&Number=548904#Post548904

A disassembled Baltimore Arms double:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=397066&page=2

The drilling should be similar to the doubles but not the same.
Posted By: Tfnaaf Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 03/11/24 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Researcher
The old factory ledger, I have a copy of, lists 738 as a Three-Barrel Gun Co. 12x12x.32-40 with 28-inch Damascus barrels, and half-pistol grip stock, shipped on 12/20/06 H.S.B.&Co. (Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & C0. in Chicago). It appears the Damascus barrels of 738 have been blued over. The Three-Barrel Gun Co. added the 0-grade to the line and beginning with serial number 654 the 0-grades comes to dominate the ledger. The 0-grade isn't in the little 1905 pocket catalog of The Three-Barrel Gun Co. but is in the 1906-07 catalog with either Damascus or Imported Steel Barrels. The 0-grade was only offered in 12-gauge and .32-40 or .30-30. By the 1908 The Three-Barrel Gun Co. catalog the 0-grade is listed with Crescent Steel Barrels.

The Feb. 13, 1900, patent date on the watertable of your gun is for Frank A. Hollenbeck's Patent No. 643,601 which covered the bolting mechanism used on these double and three-barrel West Virginia guns as well as the double gun produced by Baltimore Arms Co. The lock mechanism of the three-barrel guns was covered by Frank A, Hollenbeck's Patent No. 753,492 granted Mar. 1, 1904. I've never seen that date stamped on the guns, and Hollenbeck Gun Co. was headed into receivership by then.
Thank you for the detailed information. That helps a lot on my searching of information on the gun. THANK YOU!
Posted By: Tfnaaf Re: Hollenbeck 3 barrel questions - 03/11/24 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by John E
There is a slot cut in the frame like Hollenbeck's earlier Baltimore Arms and Syracuse Arms doubles. A bottom plate slides into this slot and the V- mainsprings are trapped between this plate and the hammers. The hanging sears should have springs between the sears and the top of the frame.

This link shows assy of a Syracuse double:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...;Main=43923&Number=548904#Post548904

A disassembled Baltimore Arms double:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=397066&page=2

The drilling should be similar to the doubles but not the same.
Thank you for the I formation! When I get home I'll follow those links and see where it takes me!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com