doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 05:18 AM
Looking at the upcoming Holt's Auctions and comparing a few guns with ones in my collection I have found I have fallen for several makers without knowing it. I have several examples of W. R. Pape's, J. Blanch and Joseph Lang and see several others in the upcoming auctions that I would love to add to my collection. All box locks and hammer guns. Guess I have never become a true side lock fan and still see box lock and hammer guns as great guns to own and shoot. The interesting thing is what a high quality they put out mid grade guns they are. I have found they are very well made and a real bargain.

For less than a grand, in many cases less than $500.00, you can buy an excellent gun by one of these three, where you would be lucky to buy a worn out major name maker's gun for less than a grand, several grand to be honest. I know most makers could make a gun to suit every buyer request, to what ever they were willing to pay for. My three favorites all seem to give quality on a fairly consistent basis and with better engraving than I expected. I wish I had not wasted so much time lusting for one of the big three names. I missed a lot of great values I am sure. Do you have a lesser known maker favorite like Dougall, Powell or Boswell? Who are your lesser known favorites.
Posted By: SKB Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 08:53 AM
I picked up a nice CS Rosson BLE out of Holt's not long ago, used it on Blues last fall with good results. I really like it, pretty gun, well made and I shoot it pretty well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: susjwp Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 12:25 PM
I am partial to both Blanch and Lancaster. Most of the Blanches I have seen were nicely appointed and well executed. I am particularly fond of of the older back action with their house style vine engraving. They come every so often. Similarly with Lancaster. That odd mutton-chop side lock and engraving is well done. I asked the late Jack Rowe to examine one before he retired and I can remember his comments, innovative but flawed design, that single spring, but well appointed engraving. I bought it and still shoot it, occasionally. There are others but those two I still look for at Holts and other auctions.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 12:27 PM
My Daniel Fraser steel barrel hammer pigeon gun is my favorite. Proved at 1 1/4 ounces.
Posted By: SKB Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
My Daniel Fraser steel barrel hammer pigeon gun is my favorite.
Fraser is not a lesser maker....Best quality Scottish, through and through.
Posted By: SKB Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 12:40 PM
Another is Edward Paton....a superb maker who finished gun for Boss in the 1870's, I have a wonderful screw grip double rifle by him.
Posted By: trw999 Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 01:10 PM
There are some wonderful gunmakers lurking under the radar, as it were. One of my particular favorites is the firm of John Harper. There were three Harpers, Grand Father, Father and Son. All were immensely respected Birmingham gunmakers, respected not only by their Black Country peers, but also most tellingly by the best London makers.

In fact, Harpers made up many of the Robertson named Boss boxlock ejectors, the majority of Frederick Beesley's boxlocks, as well as those sold by Wilkes, Churchill, Woodwood and Pape.

Tim
Posted By: Chantry Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 02:11 PM
I have a Charles Boswell hammergun with the Lancaster underlever that is a very nice gun and a number of other guns by known and unknown makers, but I guess my favorite right now it a J. Burrows hammergun that was #2 of a pair that had been re-stocked at some point. Re- chambered and re-proofed for 2 3/4" , probably in 2000, I can use whatever ammo is cheapest and shoots great.
Posted By: Skeeterbd Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 06:12 PM
I have a J Blanch box lock ejecter 12 bore from 1896. It is easily one of the best handling guns I have. Definitely a great maker, much undervalued.

All the best

Skeeterbd
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 06:23 PM
Toby Barclay at one time was maintaining a database of Blanch guns on his web site. Believe he abandoned it after awhile - he was very meticulous in compiling information about the guns - perhaps too much so. He discussed this last fall at the Vintagers in Pennsylvania.

http://www.jblanchdatabase.co.uk/
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
I picked up a nice CS Rosson BLE out of Holt's not long ago, used it on Blues last fall with good results. I really like it, pretty gun, well made and I shoot it pretty well.

That's a nice looking gun Steve. What gauge?

I have never shot a blue. Definitely need to do a trip for that someday. Sooner than later too.

I like my two Cashmore's more than of my other double. One is a 32" Hammer gun, the other is a 26" Paragon. I shoot both equally well, though one is close to 8# iirc, and the other is 6# even. Both have about 3" of drop and a whole bunch of cast off - probably just under an 1"
Posted By: SKB Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 07:58 PM
The Rosson is a 12 bore, pretty engraving too. I'll try for better pics at some point.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 08:23 PM
Brent, can we see pictures of your Cashmore? A friend has a couple of unusual Cashmores and is interested in those pigeon guns.
Posted By: Roundsworth Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 08:26 PM
My present grouse gun is a very plain 16 bore double hammer gun by Arthur Howell. It has 28 inch barrels, choked cylinder and improved modified. The stock even has 1/4" inch of cast off.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 09:07 PM
Brent, can we see pictures of your Cashmore? A friend has a couple of unusual Cashmores and is interested in those pigeon guns.

Certainly. They are not so unusual, however. I think I know the pigeon guns you are referring to, and I have momentarily forgotten their name. Very striking and different.

This is actually a Christchurch gun and quite plain. But it is very well made and fits me well. I also like the hammer design/layout.

This is the Paragon with a nice hidden third fastener
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 09:23 PM
I agree on the Cashmores. Many made for the U.S. and Australian market. Had a wonderful, cased, Cashmore Imperial sidelock, and have a Cashmore Nitro, 3” engraved on every visible part, even under the forend. Similar gun used to win the Great American Handicap at the turn of the last century. Whitworth barrels and fine delicate decoration.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 09:26 PM
The most interesting Cashmore. I believe this is what your friend may have, eightbore.

[Linked Image from vintageguns.co.uk]
Posted By: eeb Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 10:13 PM
I second Cashmore. My 1894 hammer pigeon takes a backseat to no one
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/20/24 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by eeb
I second Cashmore. My 1894 hammer pigeon takes a backseat to no one

A picture please?

I'm surprised at the Cashmore enthusiasm. I figured they were probably not that well thought of, as much as I love mine.
Posted By: Tamid Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/21/24 01:25 AM
I have a WM Sumners sxs with a Scott back action, crystal cocking indicators and lever cocking. A wonderful gun to shoot. Made some where between 1875 and 1887 in 41 Old Wall Street, Liverpool. Very well balanced and floats up to sight acquisition. Exceptionally nice to shoot.
Posted By: Tamid Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/21/24 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof

Certainly. They are not so unusual, however. I think I know the pigeon guns you are referring to, and I have momentarily forgotten their name. Very striking and different.

This is actually a Christchurch gun and quite plain. But it is very well made and fits me well. I also like the hammer design/layout.

What does the screw on the side of the forearm do?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/21/24 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tamid
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof

What does the screw on the side of the forearm do?

There is one on each side. They anchor the ejectors in place in the forearm. This was my first ejector gun, and I also did not know what they were initially. Not all ejector guns have such a screw, but many do.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/21/24 01:53 AM
Looking back I have seen a lot of Scottish makers and they all seem to be finished to a high standard. Some have been driven hard and are well worn but they all have quality builds. Pity so few are as nice as the round action and better yet the side lever round actions. One of those is coming up in the next Holt's auction. 20 bore with I think a 3-5,000 estimate which if sound as it looks will top 10,000 I expect.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/21/24 09:11 AM
My friend does not own a Nitro, but does own a couple of unusual Cashmores.
Posted By: damascus Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/21/24 01:42 PM
I have always thought one gun maker who could be classed as as the largest ghost gunmaker of the British Victorian era who deserves a lot of credit is this one.

His locks and actions can be found on many top London and provincial manufacturers. so his name can appear on all of the Major gun parts, barrels actions and locks only having the so called maker of the gun name displayed on the top rub or the lock plates of the gun.
I have a "Adams" hammer gun with his name on the outside and Brazier's name on everything but the stock.
I feel that Brazier was content to play second fiddle as long as the was making a comfortable living ghost working.
Posted By: SKB Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/23/24 11:43 PM

Better picture of my Rosson.
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/24/24 04:38 PM
I have a 10 Gauge Tipping & Lawdon hammergun that is very nice. Pics in the New Toy thread a few weeks ago. Not English but I seem to have a thing for Henri Pieper or Bayard (same thing sort of) hammer guns, they are becoming an accumulation if not a collection
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/24/24 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by SKB

Better picture of my Rosson.

Rosson had a specific patent issued for a self opening mechanism, applicable to boxlocks and sidelocks, if I am not mistaken.

Is this one of those?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/24/24 05:53 PM
Brazier’s name can be found on many guns. I have a Needham needlefire bolt action double that is marked with Brazier on the interior. Also, had a John Dickson hammer gun that was a conversion and marked Brazier Patent. That gun is shown in the Dickson book.
Posted By: SKB Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/24/24 06:01 PM
This is not one of the Rosson self-openers.
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/24/24 06:15 PM
In the early pinfire days, Brazier offered guns on his patent that were signed on the exterior lockplates
and stamped on the receiver flat.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/25/24 11:55 AM
Nice condition Rosson. I collect guns made in Derby and Derbyshire. I have a few examples made by Rosson senior in the Derby shop. Charles Stanley Rosson was his son who opened an outlet in Norwich. Other good, but seldom seen Derby guns are by Robert Lisle, Frederick Gates, John Fry and William Ellis. A trick with Rosson guns in dating them; and that applies to both the Derby and Norwich ones, is that the first two numbers of the serial number are the year date. Lagopus.....
Posted By: SKB Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/25/24 12:29 PM
Good to know! Thank you very much.
Steve
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/26/24 04:31 PM
You know something? If it weren't for people like you gentlemen, we would probably never hear about a lot of these. Thanks! We truly learn a lot from all of you!! Good Luck!!
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/26/24 10:04 PM
I usually leaf through every catalogue Scotarms publishes on line (mostly parts and actions) as a curiosity. There are invariably a dozen names I've never heard of. It's a fine hour.
http://www.scotarms.co.uk
Posted By: lagopus Re: Lesser name gun makers. - 03/27/24 05:19 PM
This is an interesting British auction site to peruse; https://www.wilson55.com/auction/de...rguns-arms-and-militaria/?au=493&g=1 They often have some interesting stuff for sale. Lagopus.....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com