doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gunut Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 02:15 PM
or just another clunker????

AA 8210461
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 02:40 PM
Maybe we need more information, a link?
Posted By: rabbit Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 02:50 PM
An Auction Arms enter it yourself link. It's a 10 bore Bonehill hammer damascus missing a firing pin. Knocked off at 275$.

jack
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 03:08 PM
All that I can tell from the bad photos is that is was a nice gun at one time and the stock needs lots of work.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 03:18 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8210461

The photos are terrible and out of focus. The seller has no history. There appears to be a gap between the barrels and the receiver. So besides replacing the hammer, the gun will have to be put on face and needs some stock work.

Pete
Posted By: gunut Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 03:41 PM
Agrre the pics are bad but...Looked to me like the action was tight...lever looks pretty much centered....even though the seller has no feedback he took credit card for payment...wood looks like it needs some sprucing up.....Just wondering if I made a mistake not bidding on it....275 sounds more like what a worn out JABC goes for...Not what a Named British made 10 bore goes for....
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 04:20 PM
The buyer got a very nice gun for that price, IMO. The pictures do suck and the description, as well. However, this was a very fine gun and even with a bit of money spent fixing what it needs, would still be a bargain. I especially liked the sellers answer about the bore condition: "it appears to be dirty but I think it would clean up nicely" That's like being "allegedly dead! It's either dirty or it isn't. Why didn't he clean the da*n bores himself?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 07:24 PM
The ad says he did clean the barrels up and they cleaned up nicely. Wish I'da bought it...Geo
Posted By: dblfever Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 07:57 PM
Classic example of a seller costing himself a fair amount of money with poor marketing.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 09:06 PM
I don't think they did.
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 09:21 PM
The heel and toe caps look very nice. It probably had a number of things wrong with it and you would have had to spend thousands to get it back to shooting condition. Well, maybe not, but pretend and you will feel better!
Posted By: James M Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 09:52 PM
IMO: If the gun is on face the buyer got a good deal here. Everything else I see can basically be corrected with some sweat equity.
Jim
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 10:21 PM
JL, the seller didn't want to clean guns "character" away.
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/17/07 10:51 PM
Yes, the cleaning would have removed the patina.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/18/07 12:11 AM
First it is a 10 bore which depresses its value by 2/3-rds. This may offend the ten bore fans but they are rarer than the 16 bore fans and we know that the 16 is a dead bore so that makes the 10 a really dead bore. Same gun in 12 bore is worth more. Second when the seller mentions dirty bores, I know that is a code word for pitted barrels. Third if a seller can not afford a decent camera and can not take decent pictures he does not need to expect any substantial money for his wares.

If the seller wanted more than a few hundred dollars he would have had one of the following. A reserve more than $500.00. A set of photographs which would have been in focus. Description which did not contain code words for a basket case. No mention that this is a wall hanger.

I think that the final price paid is a fair price unless the gun is a real basket case. In this case the buyer is taking a real chance because the listing is so poorly done. I have taken several fliers at gun with this level of poor description and lousy photographs. So far I am seven for seven in better than expected guns. But some day I am going to get a real nasty surprise. Hope I remember the good days and just get past the surprise.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Did someone steal this gun????? - 09/18/07 12:27 AM
I think the seller stated that he considered it an "over the mantle" gun.

jack
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com