doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MtnGun Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 09/28/07 06:47 PM
Will these digest a steady load of 3dr. traploads? Guns is in excellent condition.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 09/28/07 08:41 PM
I would hesitate to do so.
All my Lindner and Schuler SBTs are about the same age as your Flues, but I shoot RSTs in them.
The Flues is not as strong as the Sextuple lock Lindners and that is one reason not to do it.
Second is that care must be given to the wood.
The low pressure loads are kinder to them and therefore sensible to shoot.
If the gun were an NID, I would shoot SAAMI loads all day.
Best,
John
Posted By: MtnGun Re: Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 09/28/07 08:58 PM
The buttstock is new. Thanks for you answer John.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 09/28/07 09:20 PM
MtnGun:
That is a good thing from a shooting point of view.
Out of interest, why was the gun restocked?
Best,
John
Posted By: MtnGun Re: Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 09/29/07 12:40 AM
Am not sure why it was restocked. I bought it that way. Semi finished, very fancy Walnut stock. I reload some loads using PB, that are under 8,000psi. Do you feel that is low enough?
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 09/29/07 01:28 AM
Lock up and barrel strength were not the reason for change to NID.
bill
Posted By: MtnGun Re: Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 09/29/07 01:42 AM
Bill,
Tell me more.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 09/29/07 01:42 AM
Bill:
I am aware of that but the walls of the other guns do not have a history of cracking. Granted it is the small gauge Flues that had this problem.
My thinking is that SBT guns had a lot of use. In most cases they were really put to the test because of the reason they were bought in the first place.
It is also not the barrel that concerns me but the long years of stress on the metal of the guns and the wood.
As the one in question has been restocked, I wondered if it had cracked from too many SAAMI loads over the years. If this be the case, then the metal may be a tad weak.Flues were simply not built to handle that pressure. Opinion, I know, but that is mine.
I would be interested in what your thoughts on the reason for dropping the Flues and introducing the NID.
For what it is worth---I have a deep appreciation for Ithaca guns and have owned many. At one time, I collected grade 4 Flues. Beautiful, elegant and about as nice as one could want in a shooting stick.
Best,
John
Posted By: Muskylew Re: Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 10/03/07 02:55 AM
stick to the superposed and quit messing around with that old beater.
Posted By: MtnGun Re: Question on Ithaca Flues SBT - 10/03/07 03:42 AM
OLD BEATER! That is the gun Im going to run 50 straight with Loren. By the way, I didn't shoot tonight.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com