doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 03:22 AM
My registration has not been cleared by the admin at the Fox site so I'll put this up here first.

I have always thought that the beavertail on this gun was not original, and obviously the extension is not. At some point I posted pictures of it minus s/n and several folks commented that the work looked 'factory'. When I posted the s/n I was told that it was too early and could not be done by the factory. What say all of you? Original (minus extension)?

Posted By: Brian Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 03:56 AM
doesnt look like any of my factory beavertails. But a letter would clear up some of it. Obvioulsy the extension aint right!!!!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 01:39 PM
I like it. Obviously a PA gun. Is it for sale?
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 01:47 PM
Looks like a DIY project, not factory.
bill
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 02:04 PM
Weatherby perhaps, looks kinda rakish for a Fox.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Brian
doesnt look like any of my factory beavertails. But a letter would clear up some of it. Obvioulsy the extension aint right!!!!

I will be getting a letter this time around.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 02:18 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
I like it. Obviously a PA gun. Is it for sale?

Why do you say PA gun? I found it a long way from PA traded it to a gentleman in Wisconsin and eventually got it back.

For sale? No, this time it stays in my safe for a while.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 02:19 PM
Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
Looks like a DIY project, not factory.
bill

I have always thought it was a replacement. Can you tell me how it differs from factory Fox BT's?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 02:24 PM
PA trap and pigeon shooters are fond of "working on the wood" and using Miller Triggers. Their guns are easy to identify even when far removed from their state of origin.
Posted By: Geoff Roznak Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 02:54 PM
The trigger (we've never been able to ID it as a Miller for sure) is serial numbered to the gun.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 03:04 PM
Geoff,

Did you take any pictures of the trigger when you had the buttstock off the gun?
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/13/07 07:16 PM
I think the checkering and the concave top section of the barrel divider (on the inside) look like factory work.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 10:36 AM
The raised spine does look like it was run with a moulder or scraper--pretty sophisticated cf. to Lowell's rifle stock cap on the end. Perhaps it is Penn. Crude combined with Fox. But if it's half factory, the transition to the iron is about the nastiest thing I've seen.

jack
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 11:49 AM
I know nothing of Foxes...but I say it's non-factory.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: rabbit
But if it's half factory, the transition to the iron is about the nastiest thing I've seen.

jack

jack,

There have been some repairs under the iron (soft, punky wood replaced & new screw), and the 'nastiest' part appears to mostly be dents from 80 years of handling.

I am not arguing that it is original, I had never thought it was. Just seeking out opinions. The checkering and concave section on the underside of the forend are what folks pointed at as being 'factory'. Hopefully the eventuall letter will clear things up.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
PA trap and pigeon shooters are fond of "working on the wood" and using Miller Triggers. Their guns are easy to identify even when far removed from their state of origin.

Murph,

Did Miller usually s/n the triggers to the guns? Why do PA shooters get so much 'credit' for working on their guns as if the rest of the shooting community shot bone stock guns?

Are they getting even for the Kentucky Rifle?
Posted By: Geoff Roznak Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 03:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
Geoff,

Did you take any pictures of the trigger when you had the buttstock off the gun?

Sorry, didn't take the time.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 03:59 PM
I have no particular expertise with Fox guns to draw from, but there's something about the forend wood that differs from the butt that makes me thing the forend is not factory. The grain is more open or not filled as much, gouges in the barrel channel, the wood is proud of the FE metal while not on the butt, and that funky shape...looks very 50's-60's, much like my restocked LC Ideal.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 04:48 PM
Chuck,

It may be the shadows in the pictures, but there are no gouges in the barrel channels. All pictures were taken with a flash which may have an affect on the wood 'color'. I don't think the finish on the FE or buttstock is original, but it is consistent.
Posted By: Rd Show Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 06:05 PM
I Believe the reason the wood looks proud is because it comes up above the center of barrels, couldn't be any narrower than the widest part of the barrels.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
the wood is proud of the FE metal while not on the butt,

I missed the 'proud' part of your post earlier. In the pictures it does look that way, and in fact I wasn't sure, so I pulled the gun out to double check.

I flares out quickly due to the size of the forend but at the metal/wood junction it is not proud.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 09:05 PM
From the Fox site.

Don posts here also so I don't think he'll mind me quoting him.

Originally Posted By: "DGKaas"
The rear portion of the fore end is without question factory Fox, IMHO. The shaping and the grooves in the rib channel are the giveaways.Miller triggers are often serialed to the gun. PA trap and pigeon shooters are often associated with Miller trigger simply because Elmer and his sons, Howard and Delbert frequented shoots major and minor in their home state for 75 years and sold a lot of trigger there.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 10:07 PM
I mistook a stain or grease spot on one of the pictures as the Miller stamp. Looking back, I realize that wasn't what it was. However, the configuration of the trigger installation is very similar to a non selective Miller trigger. Don K. would know.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 10:09 PM
Murph,

The trigger is selective.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/14/07 11:19 PM
Utah, take a look back at the thread on my Ithaca NID single trigger. http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...age=3#Post59426

Some of the best research sources on this site provided their input on Miller, Howland, and Ithaca triggers. Also there are some drawings of the triggers which may help you ID yours. Drop that triggerplate and lets see it.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 12:35 PM
I thought there was some question about the source of the trigger (Geoff Roznak's post Oct 13}. If it has the crudely stamped RSL marking on the top tang, there is no doubt that it is Miller.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 01:35 PM
Murphy,

Yes, the tang is stamped as you mention, which is why I have always identified it as a Miller.

When in Geoffs possession the gun was apart for the forend repairs and a general check-up by a 'smith of good reputation and experience. As I remember (Geoff can correct if I am wrong) the 'smith did not think the mechanism looked like the Millers he had seen.

I won't drag this thread to far off topic since I won't have the time to pull the buttstock/triggerplate for the forseeable future.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 01:44 PM
Mike,
What was revealed as significant (to me at least) in the Ithaca trigger thread is that all three, Miller, Howland and Ithaca triggers have top tangs marked RSL and have identical function and nearly identical form. I have no idea on what makes/designs of single triggers were installed by Fox since I'm delinquent in re-reading my Fox book for this info.

Are you thinking that your gun has a post delivery single trigger?
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 02:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Mike,

Are you thinking that your gun has a post delivery single trigger?

Yes.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 02:32 PM
The only Fox I've held that I thought had a factory single trigger, had a notch out of the side of the upper tang where the selector came thru. I can't recall if it was in place of the safety or was in addition to the safety. I just recall thinking I'd have to weld up that notch if the single trigger couldn't be made to work on that old dog.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 02:40 PM
Chuck,

I think that is the Fox/Kautzki(sp?) trigger you describe.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 02:45 PM
That sounds like an Infallible Single Trigger, not a factory Kautsky. Maybe someone could post a picture of a factory Kautsky trigger to clear the air.
Posted By: FOXIST Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 07:43 PM
Utah The rear portion does look Fox and the stock wood sure looks to match the forend.I have not handled any Philly guns with what I consider factory beavertail forends but yours sure does look close. I think the beavertail did not appear in the catalog until 1930 but Im sure Fox would have made a beavertail before that if the customer had specified it. The reprint 1930's catalog I have list a "English Beavertail" with the large schnabel and a "Trap Style beavertail" with fuller proportions. Is it posible that the gun in question originally had a English type beavertail that a subsequent owner did not like and removed the schnabel and added the new tip? Just a thought! What vintage gun are we talking hear? late 20's early 30's? I am also posting a picture of a Fox-Kautzky single trigger showing the selector location. Paul
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 08:33 PM
FOXIST,

Per the list on this site the gun was one of the first made in 1927.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 09:25 PM
Chuck and Utah, there is a picture of a factory Fox trigger. Any selector up off the tang next to the safety means a Lancaster Infallible and not a factory Kautsky trigger.
Posted By: FOXIST Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/15/07 11:26 PM
Utah I think a factory letter is the only way to know for sure. Going by serial# while 90% of the time is close can sometimes be misleading. I Hope you find the answers you are looking for in the letter. Keep us Posted. Good Luck!! Paul
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Fox AE Forend --- Original? - 10/16/07 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the information.

If I can round up an envelope and stamp I'll mail out a request for a letter from the small town I am spending the week in.

I posted this on a few sites and from the information I recieved my bet is the following.

BT Forend is original, trigger is not.

We'll see what the letter says.

Thanks again,

Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com