doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: devrep been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/18/07 11:05 PM
so, for a small frame 28ga, straight stock, splinter, double trigger, 28" (or longer) bbl, fixed choke sxs at a particular price point (2.5K give or take) would you choose:

bernardelli
ugarthechea
aya
antonio gil
Posted By: fishrising Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/18/07 11:14 PM
Used AOC Ugartechea. Why? Because that's what I ended up with! Seriously, buy the gun for the gun not the name. The AOC that I saw was very well put together from all aspects.

Here are some pics of mine, not the best pics, but the only ones I have on the web right now (the AOC is the boxlock on the bottom of each pic, the other 2 guns are Arrietas):

Posted By: Joe Bernfeld Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/18/07 11:26 PM
I agree with fish, buy the gun, not the brand name. In this case, and for the same price, they all make comperable guns. I have 4 (and 1/2) 28 gauge shotguns and I love them all. 2 Parker repros w/26" bbls (I've only shot one of them since the other is new!), an Ithaca ICD w/28" bbls (my favorite length), and a Garbi w/28" and 30" bbls. The 1/2 is half of a Beretta 687EELL 20/28 (28" bbls)ga set which I shoot best and which is also the heaviest. As you can tell, I love the 28 ga, and I use it mostly for doves, quail and ruffed and blue grouse.
I guess I'd lean towards AYA or Bernardelli for no good reasons at all!
Joe
Posted By: eightbore Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/19/07 12:01 AM
The boxlock basic Uggie is a bargain. I see them at less than $1500. Saw a mint one last year at a show for $1200, should have bought it. What's not to like?
Posted By: Replacement Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/19/07 04:56 AM
Do you mean P. Bernardelli or V. Bernardelli? The VB's are excellent guns, but scarce, and parts will be a real problem if it ever breaks. The PB's can be a real bargain; mine is a DT/English/splinter with 28" barrels and oil finished wood; $325 brand new a few years ago on the closeout after Cape Outfitters closed. I like the M/F chokes, which are difficult to find in a lot of the Spanish/Basque guns currently imported; most seem to come with very open chokes. You won't find a Parker Repro at your $2500 price point, but if you do, grab it and don't look back. Of those you listed, I'd probably lean toward the AyA, but would buy the first really good gun I found that fits me. One advantage of the AyA is that there are more than a few floating around with 29" barrels.
Posted By: KMcMichael Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/19/07 11:28 AM
I have the Ugartechea model 30. They are solid guns. I shoot mine pretty well.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/19/07 12:12 PM
Be sure to fondle Battista Rizzini side-plated 'Artemis' O/U before taking the final plunge!
Posted By: devrep Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/19/07 02:25 PM
I listed the "names" only to elicit opinions as to quality of manufacturing. I have a sidelock uggie in 410 so am familiar with that brand but know nothing of the other 3 except that they are available in the features and price I am looking for.

fishrising, nice wood on that uggie!
Posted By: Rocketman Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/19/07 02:40 PM
devrep - you will be hard pressed to find actual differences in quality within a given price range. The world has shrunk, there is not a lot of labor in most guns, and labor prices in gun factories/shops are pretty uniform. The days of low cost Brit/Belgian/Austrian/Italian/Spanish/French/German labor are history.
Posted By: devrep Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/19/07 03:21 PM
here are some for sale:
uggie 28ga, 29" bbls, cyl/im

antonio gil 28ga, 28" bbls, mod/full

bernardelli 28ga
Posted By: Geoff Roznak Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/20/07 02:59 PM
Where are those guns for sale?

Or are they just guns that are available on the market new right now?
Posted By: devrep Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/22/07 04:09 PM
Geoff, sent you a pm.
Posted By: devrep Re: been thinking again about a 28ga - 10/31/07 01:18 PM
my choice arrived yesterday. grade 5 28ga 29"bbls, 14 1/8" LOP, 2 1/2" DAH, DT, 5lb 9oz, .004 rt/.014 left, pretty basic wood. Almost a clone of my 410 but not quite as fancy.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com