doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Snipe Hunter Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 05:44 PM
Can someone tell me what the marks on the water table and barrel flats mean.

I understand the 20-76 as twenty gauge and 3" chambers. The second symbol is an "X" in a shield which I believe makes 1952 the year of manufacture. Is that correct? Next is a "2" in a pair of crossed guns and last is a "BP" over an oval in a shield.

The first thing on the barrel flats is an "S", then a degree symbol, then a "1". Next is 1250 but from the spacing I can't tell if it is all one number or a couple of different numbers. After that is "VCS". Below that are the same symbols on water table followed by the proof load.

Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 06:08 PM
The S 1 on the barrel flats is the date code, built in 1974, much later than you thought. I suspect the VCS stamp maybe identifies the actual maker, but it's not in my list. The other marks, including the one you thought was the year code, are standard proof marks. I am sure someone can add to this, but that'll get you going as to the date at least.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 06:18 PM
SH, here is a reference page, but VCS does not appear in the listings of manufacturers (actual or defunct ["Extinguished"]).

http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones.html

JC
Posted By: JayCee Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 06:21 PM
Here is another you can browse.

http://www.9mmlargo.com./

JC
Posted By: james-l Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 07:00 PM
Sniper, the 1250 is the barrel weight in grams, usually there is a stamp, Gmos after it. I think it just didn't stamp good, . If you look at the action flats, the makers code is in front of the serial#. It will probably be in the site from JayCees post.
Jim
Posted By: Snipe Hunter Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 07:33 PM
Thank you. The "X" in the shield that I thought represented the manufacture date is the late Eibar house proof. The maker is Jose Uriguen and as Jim noted the initials are just in front of the serial number. Jim is also correct about the "Gmos". The "G" is light as are parts of other letters. It actually looks like the guy pulls the wrong die out and stamped it "gmcs".

Skip
Posted By: devrep Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 07:52 PM
ok, how about mine, looks like an L3, which would be 2018 per the spanish year of proof codes. or an L8 which would be off the scale.
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 07:57 PM
What's Victor Sarasqueta's middle initial?
Posted By: james-l Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 08:33 PM
Devrep, the stamp on the lug is not a year code, it is usually stamped on the front part of the left barrel flat. there is something stamped below the chamber/gauge mark, but I cannot make it out will probably be a letter and number.

JIm
Posted By: JayCee Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 08:38 PM
Devrep, agree with Jim. In this case it is "T", i.e. 1949.

Don VĂ­ctor didn't use any middle initial (probably didn't even have one).
His guns are marked with a running hare flanked by his initials VS

JC
Posted By: devrep Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 08:41 PM
I will look closer when I get home, suspect this gun is no more than a couple of years old. thanks guys.
Posted By: cloffe Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 08:52 PM
devrep, the serial number on your gun is 35-03-119-07 which means that it was made by the company number 35 (Aya is number 16), 03 means that is is a sporting gun, 119 is the manufacturers serial number and 07 is the year it was made, 2007.
Posted By: devrep Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 09:02 PM
wow, didn't know any of that. this must be something new. my 1980 uggie 410 is 178014 without the dashes between the numbers.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 09:11 PM
Cloffe, well done!

You reminded me of something I had read (and archived) in an AyA catalogue:

In 1995, the Spanish proof house implemented a new system of serial numbers.
Now, each gun has a serial number that consists of four sets of digits, separated by a hyphen. Each set of digits has a distinct meaning.
The first is the gunmaker code. The second set designates the type of firearm*. The third set, which may run to three or even four digits, is the chronological number assigned by the gunmaker in a given year, and the fourth set of two digits shows the year of manufacture.

(The codes from 1995 onward were assigned but never used)

* Although it says firearm it should say weapon, because the codes include bows (08) and crossbows (09). The list assigns 03 specifically to "escopeta", shotgun.

JC
Posted By: devrep Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/12/07 09:21 PM
neat. you guys are an encyclopedia for cryin out loud.
Posted By: Kerryman Re: Spanish Proof Marks - 12/13/07 01:51 PM
Great posts, very informative. Thanks to all.
Km.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com