doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/20/08 01:14 AM
Had to go look at a Fox with a friend. He decided right off to pass as the gun was too heavy. Nice gun he said. I was looking at another gun when he passed it to me. Seller said the he wanted $1000.00 for the "Fox Model BHE". Well when I looked at the gun I just about fell over. I had to agree it was heavy as heck. It was as nice a HE grade as I have seen in a long time. Not the model B. Told the guy I was with he should buy the gun. He laughed and said it was too heavy for him to want to carry it and if I liked the gun I should buy it. I did. Counted out the greenbacks right on the spot and took it home.

For a long time I have been looking for a nice HE and now I have it for less than a fourth of what I expected to pay for one in this type of condition. As I was driving home I had a thought that the seller made money on the deal and I got a heck of a deal. Guess it does not get much better than this. Explained to my friend what the gun was and what it was worth. But to him a eight plus pound gun is too heavy to carry and that is all that he cares about. He is happy, I am happy and even his wife is happy because he did not buy another gun. My wife understands that a one more gun can keep the old guns company. Plus the boys seem to be taking a real interest in doubles. Life is good.
Don't leave it on the fender, and drive around. This happens, believe it or not.

Congrats.
Best,
Ted
Sometimes good things happen to good guys.
This is such a time.
Best,
John
Stories like that, are what keeps guys like me in the "Treasure Hunt". Recently those deals seem to be few and far between ... but I keep looking. Congrats on a sweet new gun.
Posted By: Silvers Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/20/08 02:07 AM
Congrats Jon on the Fox find. I've been looking for a decent HE for a while now so I can appreciate your find. Out of curiosity, what are the barrels and chokes? Any mods to the buttstock, etc.? Silvers
Posted By: Birdawg Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/20/08 02:15 AM
Congratulations! I would be happy to find one in decent condition.
Nothing wrong with an eight-pound double in the blind. Good goin'.
KYJon M.McIntosh& self have been talking about just how many "HE"s have come to light since he wrote the FOX book. Would like to know if its a 2.3/4" or a 3" chamber.I have just made chamber castings of an orig. 2.3/4" lengthened by Savage to 3'. and an original 3"..some difference, mostly in the polishing of the finished chamber.cc/dt
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/20/08 03:11 AM
Wow! Good gun at a great price. Good for you, Jon.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/20/08 03:12 AM
By the way, I thought you were from Kentucky. What is the red state?
KY, what is the serial number of the new find?
Instant karma is goin' to get you! Perhaps a BIG find deserves something a little bit more in the way of a gentlemen's transaction.
Giving a chap 1/4 of what a gun's worth!
Is this a dog eat dog world?
Where's the humanity!
Posted By: builder Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/20/08 01:45 PM
Yes, we all go to the car dealer and give him what it says on the sticker?
You give whatever they are asking when you buy a house?
I wouldn't have broadcast, and made such a todo over paying 3/4s less than the gun's worth.
Don't sound good.
Every item is WORTH what someone is willing to pay and what someone is willing to take. Worth has nothing to do with value.
There is a vast ethical difference in paying what is asked and in offering a low ball figure to someone that has no knowledge.
Seems to me that this deal was a win-win-win situation.
Best,
John
Posted By: tw Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/20/08 04:15 PM
First, congratulations! Hope that you might share further information, like choke measurements, &c.

Second, I agree w/John's assessment.

If it is a 3" chambered gun, does it have 'not warranteed' stamped on its bbl. flats? My understanding is that all factory 3" HE's received that ugly birthmark.
Wow, nice! Do we get to see pictures of it?

He payed the asking price, what more can you expect?

Alex
Maybe his wife needed an operation, and he was un-insured?
Could be, that 1000.00 went for a hip replacement.
In that case, every penny helps.
You guys are ridiculous-the man paid the asking price for something, whats the difference what you experts think its worth! Its worth what was paid for at the moment, hell even the guy before the buyer passed on it, and likely some other folks.

Unbelievable!
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/21/08 02:09 AM
For those who think that I stole the gun grow up. I paid the asking price. Seller was an adult. I did not beat a widow or orphans out of a gun they knew nothing about by telling them it was not worth very much. He was reselling the gun so I am certain he paid less. To his eyes it is just another heavy Sterlingworth. Which it is in most ways when you get right down to it. Plain stock, very little engraving, just a Sterlingworth with bigger barrels and a slightly beefed receiver. Worth more only because of the lack of numbers of them made.

For the five bbs members who have sent me emails trying to buy the gun it is not for sale.

The barrels are 32" long, chambers are 3". Choked .045 and .044. Gun is 9 pounds , 6 ounces. Stock had been cut and a pad added so I suspect the weight is just about what it started at. It is stamped not warranteed.
KY Jon: Mista' Buck would have been proud of you. It sounds like you got a fine gun at a great price. As you stated, you paid the seller's asking price with no negotiating. The seller was at least somewhat knowledgeable about guns and he was re-selling it at a profit. That's a level playing field if I ever heard of one. Methinks the naysayers e-mails smite of sour grapes (like they wouldn't have bought it had it been offered to them). Congratulations, messages like that keep us all looking.

A quick story on point: Many, many years ago an old friend and gunsmith, Vanderbilt Kirkland, brought out a mint Parker Trojan 20 and offered it to me for $850.00. Smart me I said: "How about $750.00 cash?" He quietly said: "No, it's $1,000.00" I bought it for $1,000.00. He told me and the moral of this story is: "When someone offers you something that you really want and at a very, very fair price, BUY IT!"

Best Regards, George
Sounds to me KY, while "driving home," you had to rationalize the deal!
People want to be treated fairly - let's see who bad raps unsavory dealers - both in past and future posts.
A bit green-eyed LG?
Mr Jon has the right to crow about a rare gun and the low price paid. His shoe leather, gasoline, and time spent to find such a bargain aren't inconsequential. It's all part of the old gun game.
Posted By: Silvers Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/21/08 01:06 PM
Ky Jon, congrats again on the gun. It sounds nice. I'm happy for you. Silvers
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/21/08 01:23 PM
I note that John said he was looking at another gun, while his friend was looking at this one. I did not get the impression he was scamming some poor widow out of her late husbands treasure. Perhaps the seller from whom he bought it is the one who should be ashamed, but he didn't seem to know what he had, so may not have been intentional. Obviously someone didn't know at some point, but I don't see how you can default KyJohn on his find.
Posted By: James M Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/21/08 01:42 PM
I just spent 2 days at a gun show. Many of these "instant gun appraisal experts*" were wandering about with firearms priced right at full retail". I used to try and tell them that if anyone at a gun show wanted to pay full price they'd go to a retail establishment where they would also get some type of guarantee to go along with it. When you're buying a gun from an individual it's usually "where is as is" and often hidden defects are discovered after the purchase has been made. What may seem like a steal at the time of purchase may very well not be in retrospect. When you're buying 75+ year old guns as many of us here do you are taking this kind of risk and this has to be factored into the finances involved in the transaction.
Jim
*This means they just looked on the Internet or elsewhere,found the most pricy example of their gun and regardless of condition, priced theirs at that level or higher.
Posted By: Weston Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/21/08 03:03 PM
Lowell,

How should the transaction have been handled?
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/21/08 03:46 PM
Jon,
Congrats on a nice find.

LG,
Next time I run across anything that I want that is offerred for less than "market value", I'll consider offering the market value.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/21/08 03:56 PM
Hell, I can prove he didn't pay too little. I wouldn't have even given a grand for it!
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/21/08 07:03 PM
You didn't beat a widow and orphans out of a gun by telling them it wasn't worth very much? Phew!! You're a lot better man than I am. Then again, I've got Mad Cow. Ya know?.............Denny Crane
Lowell, Is it really that amusing to you to try to create discord in our friendly bunch? Funny thing is, lots of folks rise to the well worn bait. Jake
Well Lowell,

What is the proper way to handle the situation? I'm curious as to the answer.
Hey Jimmy , have you thought,by chance ,about a career in the "Field" of Veterinary Law???
I think you'd do well
franc
I guess I'm just remembering how it felt after being taken!
Prolly some of you can too?
Great find....post some pictures.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/22/08 07:02 PM
Can you make me a loan of your lucky charm, KY? and your strong-nosed friend to go with me?

jack
Posted By: rabbit Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/22/08 07:04 PM
LG, you should check those "ill health forces sale" ads. Some of these guys aren't all that sick!

jack
I can't count the number of guns I have bought at X minus Y price after telling the inquiring seller that his gun was worth X and if he got his stars properly aligned, the gun could bring X plus Y to the right buyer. Some sellers just want to be "done with it" and don't mind doing a favor for a friendly buyer. By the way, KY hasn't shared the serial number with those who may help him with his "research". KY, what is the serial number of your new prize?
LG, You are carefully avoiding the repeated question about how you think the situation should be handled. Oh yea. I remember. The point is controversy. Jake
Like a who dunit Jakearoo, after the deed is done, all one can do is give his humble opinion on the done deed.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/22/08 11:48 PM
I recall wanting to sell a pristine 6" blued Python so I could get my K80. I looked at all the comps on the major gun websites and how long they'd been there. I priced my gun below the lowest gun and it sold within days. The guy buying it didn't offer me "market".
I can't wait to see a picture of it.
I'm surprised they even let you have a pistol in California!
What....will the neighbors say?
Could be timing, wrong firearm at the wrong time and place.
It happens.
5 pages...and still no pictures of the gun ?
j0e, your a visual kinda guy!

KYJon has prolly been bullrushed by many of the Gunshop BBSers to sell his new found Fox and is just lyin' low until the feeding frenzy ends.
You're the guy from "The Show me State"....I just like to "see" what the fuss is all about.

I'm a "Show n Tell" kinda guy. With my reading skills pictures are nice to fall back on.
Posted By: Mike B. Re: Big find on the Fox front. Life is good. - 01/24/08 11:03 PM
WHO
"WHO" is this guy "Lowell Glenthorne"?

Fox
"WHO" is this guy "Lowell Glenthorne"?

g
Been busy this week so only now enjoying this topic with interest. It got me re-reading McIntosh's book on Fox HEs and the opportunity to learn more.
Also reminded me of a couple things I heard years ago, -

"Buyer beware", or I guess seller in this case,

and "Dont count your money at the table"
MikeB, I guess you were trying to make a point?
Who - who - who is Lowell Glenthorne is all I can make-out!
Were you trying to post a picture of an owl ol'boy?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com