doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tudurgs Raising a wood dent - 01/21/08 01:11 PM
Have come across a Citori 20 Ga. Superlite from the 1970's. Metal is 100%, and wood is good except for a 5" furrow on the left side. Wood fibers aren't broken, just dented. Will the steam iron/wet cloth technique work with the original finish? The finish isn't the thick plastic type, rather a flat matte.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Raising a wood dent - 01/21/08 01:26 PM
You shouldn't have any problem --- give it a go.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Raising a wood dent - 01/21/08 01:58 PM
That flat matte finish could still be an epoxy finish. Unless you remove it your not going to be able to raise the dents. Been there and done that on a Citori just as you've described.

Regards,
Ken
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Raising a wood dent - 01/21/08 03:57 PM
I had a 12g version from around the same period as your gun. My recollection was that the finish was unfilled in the grain and maybe even not completely sealed. If this is the case, steaming with finish on may work. However, be prepared to have what finish is on there to become milky and take the impression of the fabric. That said, it may still be workable without removing all the finish. I believe it is not a catalyzed finish. The problem with the field grade Citori's is that they all seem to have been stained. If you elect to remove all the finish and refinish the buttstock, it will require restaining before finishing. I believe the finish is reproducable with something like a few thin coats of Tru-Oil.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com