doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: baydog Fitting hard Buttplate to Stock - 02/04/08 02:24 PM
How do you fit the hard plastic type butt-plate to the stock? I have fitted the rubber type before but not the plastic type. Is it done with a disk sander like with the rubber type? My only concern was the plastic(or what ever it is made out of) overheating from the sanding disk.
Thank you
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Fitting hard Buttplate to Stock - 02/04/08 04:22 PM
When you grind it, take it easy on the pressure. When you get close, go to a file. Then switch to a sanding block.
Posted By: james-l Re: Fitting hard Buttplate to Stock - 02/04/08 09:50 PM
If I might add to Chucks post, someone sugested using metal duct tape on the stock instead of masking tape for the final fit. I tried it and it really works well. The tape thickness is only 5 or 6 thousands and is much more resistant to tears and such

Jim
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Fitting hard Buttplate to Stock - 02/05/08 09:23 AM
Re-asking the same question: when you sand with the metal duct tape, will it stick to the stock and take the finish off? I always thought that it was pretty sticky. Won't the sand paper go through the metal tape? Or the masking tape?
Posted By: james-l Re: Fitting hard Buttplate to Stock - 02/05/08 06:18 PM
Jimmy, It didn't bother the finish on the gun I used it on. It had an oil finish, your results may vary depending on the type and condition of finish. I use a fine mill file for most of the final cut down and fine sandpaper just to clean up the file marks. It helps if you glue the sandpaper to a block and be careful. The rough work is done with the plate off of the stock.

Jim
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Fitting hard Buttplate to Stock - 02/07/08 03:03 AM
I usually put a pad on a gun by doing the main part on a belt sander. Then, when I get close, see how it fits, then take it off, sand a little, then put it back on to see how it fits. Over and over. I have always been afraid of putting tape on one for the fear of pulling off the tape and peeling off the finish. I am presently putting one on a Grade 5, Model 12 and would hate to pull off part of the finish when I was done. But, I'll give it a try. Thanks.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com