doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: grogel Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 04:49 PM
Just some random vintage double photos for your enjoyment.

OOPS! sorry, thats not a double Jane is holding
Posted By: Dennis Wolfe Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 04:56 PM
I like them and tks for posting. I am an interested buyer if they are for sale.

denwolfe@sbcglobal.net
Posted By: grogel Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 05:50 PM

Posted By: battle Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:00 PM
The 5th. photo.........isn't it interesting that everyone is utlizing a sling.
Posted By: CJO Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:10 PM
Those are some wonderful old pictures, but every time I look at some of the old sporting art I can't help but notice the poor muzzle control..... many of those shotgunners of old had pictures taken with the muzzles pointing at their heads while others like the guy on the second last picture front row on the grass with the old double shoved in his buddy's stomach.
I wonder how many of those guns were actually loaded!

CJ
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:15 PM
Posted By: Researcher Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:17 PM
Great old pictures. Thanks for sharing.

That picture with the guns with slings looks Bavarian to me. Note the hats and the gun with the cheekpiece.

That shot of the five trap shooters, three seated, looks like Mark Arie on the right end seated. Our left as looking at the photo.
Posted By: Montana Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:18 PM
Great photos although I'd have to wonder how those short barrels worked given what we all use now...
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:18 PM
Battle- I noticed the same thing - slings and checkpieces appear to be standard for the group in the photo. Looks like it may have been an outing of local schutzencorps <g>. The fifth guy in from the left looks to be fresh off the boat.

Ken
Posted By: grogel Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:20 PM
Im not hocking anything, but the last group are all available as reprints from the MN Hist Soc. For a very small fee. Check you local/State, you may be suprised.

The 2nd from last , in the 2nd group, is the St.Paul rod and gun club, early 1900s. I still go and shoot a couple of clays there from time to time.
Posted By: Bret Adams Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:26 PM
Great pictures! Thanks for taking the time and posting them. I agree, the slings look european. I wish the guns had been displayed clear enough to identify more of them.
Posted By: grogel Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:27 PM
The numbers of birds I see suprises me

Like this one of "snipe" from 1895 in MN.

Reminds me of hunting with my friends dad in S.D.
He says, "we used to hook a cable between two trucks, drive throught the fields, shooting from the back of the trucks. Get a limit , take em home and go for more."
Then he says," you just dont see birds like that any more"

Gee, I wonder why?

The other thing my searching for old hunting photos has made me wonder. When did we as men stop wearing great hats?
Posted By: Kerryman Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:38 PM
The studio photos look very posed and might even be doctored; they have a sort of wrong-head-glued-on-body look. Most photographers of the 1870-90's era had costumes and sets ready for the purpose. I have a c 1877 photo of my kinsman wearing a buckskin suit! Some of the posed shots also suggest that - the sitter above with the dog is not even holding his gun (he looks scared of it!), but has a hand on the dog.
K.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:42 PM
Notice something.
Steve Hutton and I had a good chat about drop on old American guns. He suggested that men always wore hats and had to hold their heads high to see down the barrels. Thanks seems to be upheld in the pics of Americans.
Interesting.
Best,
John
Posted By: gjw Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 06:50 PM
Thanks so much, wonderful photos!

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: nialpatrickmac Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 08:08 PM
Originally Posted By: C. J. Opacak
Those are some wonderful old pictures, but every time I look at some of the old sporting art I can't help but notice the poor muzzle control..... many of those shotgunners of old had pictures taken with the muzzles pointing at their heads while others like the guy on the second last picture front row on the grass with the old double shoved in his buddy's stomach.
I wonder how many of those guns were actually loaded!

CJ

Don't worry about it. It was all a long time ago.
npm
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 08:16 PM
Not one open gun in the group. Good old days, tho... a duck lodge I used to frequent had scrapbooks dating back the 1900's... pile and piles of ducks...
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 08:24 PM
I suspect that group with all the slings and cheekpieces is a European photo. Look at the size of the rabbits - appear to be more hare than cottontail to me.
The forth picture down, did that lady shoot a Condor?
What a tasty bird for an old California Christmas!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 09:58 PM
Tasty, Lowell? Yes, maybe, but you would have to unwrap her first. She seems pretty bound up in her clothing. Might be worth it!
Posted By: CJO Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
I suspect that group with all the slings and cheekpieces is a European photo. Look at the size of the rabbits - appear to be more hare than cottontail to me.

Big "Jacks",...shot one 13 lbs couple of years ago here not too far from home.
There is a gang of Hungarians that have a hunt club here that chase those things in snow shoes when the weather turns bitter. I was invited to go along a couple of times,...they shoot 4 or 5 every time they're out and they look just like that in the pictures, slings and all!.... only difference is they're wearing orange

CJ
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 10:53 PM
Great photos.
I'm sure some were staged maybe even with market hunters kills.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 11:03 PM
Nice to see somebody besides me collects old hunting and shooting photos. I've been picking them up for years.

I think that lady has a crane, not a condor. I've got one of a rough looking old gal holding up a buzzard and a jack rabbit, one of my favorites.

Destry
Posted By: grogel Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 11:25 PM
I have many more but most have the savage 1899/99 as subject matter, a few of my fav..

But they are a little off topic here.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/04/08 11:55 PM
I think that's what the old gal with the buzzard is holding oddly enough. I'll have to look when I get home.

DLH
Posted By: eightbore Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 12:23 AM
A Savage 99 in .22 Hi Power is a great buzzard gun. At over 100 yards and a stiffly constructed bullet, there is almost no damage to the tasty meat. Nothing worse than a buzzard with a lot of meat destroyed by a high velocity lightly constructed bullet. I can carry thirty or forty .22 Hi Power rounds in the front pocket of my jeans. Never can tell when you are going to run into a real buzzard convention.
Posted By: Stallones Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 12:51 AM
This is my Granddad Walter Bishop on the right, in 1929 near Conroe,Texas with his first Deer. He was using a borrowed 16 ga Browning Auto
[img][/img]
Posted By: eeb Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 01:35 AM
Amazing. No one is wearing RealTree camo.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 02:54 AM
I think the condor in question is a crane. Even 100 years ago everyone knew that lead levels in Condors made them unsafe to eat. Do you think that lead concerns are new? Do you really believe that Al Gore invented this internet and discovered Global Warming all by himself? Old news just rehashed again.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 03:17 AM
The Crest and Gun courtesy of cc/dt

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 03:34 AM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I think the condor in question is a crane.

Looks more like a Great Blue Heron to me. I love these old pictures; wish I had some to share... Keep'em coming...Geo
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 04:01 AM
Jane had a very nice double.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 04:18 AM
Amen, brother...Geo
Posted By: grogel Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 04:54 AM
As I find more that contain doubles Ill stop in and share them, Here are a few more that dont stick to the subject matter of the forum. Lurking and learning, Gary

Just noticed she had a gun;)

By the way, BIG fan of the Loon Lake Club!!
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 05:19 AM
Thanks to revdocdrew for posting the photo of 'The Good Old Days" Responsible Gun-Owners drinking a Pint(or 2) Smoking,Shotgun on Arm,Not 'Broken",Dog lying at their feet.Times long past...Never to return. BUT,of course, you can still use the Guns.Lots of History in the Weapons. Fabulous collection of Photos....cc.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 05:36 AM
That top one is great, check out that little hammer gun. Almost looks like a 28 gauge Crescent hammer gun that a friend has. Do you have the original of that? If so, what kind of format is it? I mean cabinet photo on board, or just a snapshot?

The third from the bottom is one I got outbid for on eBay awhile back. You dirty dog! *wink*

Destry

P.S. To Murphy - You're as full of shit as a Christmas buzzard, errrr goose I mean.
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 06:30 AM
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/05/08 02:38 PM
grogel,
I can't even imagine what those guys in the tent with the Moose smelled like! Whew!
Posted By: mark Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/06/08 12:00 AM
These vintage images reminded me of my new corperate spokesperson.

Mark

http://www.mbabllc.com
Posted By: Parker22 Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/07/08 02:36 PM
GROGEL,

I have a question regarding one of the pictures you posted above.

Would you e-mail me @ vholmes22@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Vince
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/08/08 12:53 AM
Another pic courtesy of cc/dt
John Dukes, Rat Catcher 1950s, Paddington,London
This Gent shot dozens of rats in the Paddington area all around Purdey's factory after the War ended 1945 thru the late 1950s. That little dog was a "Killer" on rats, cats, and bridge pheasants.

Posted By: crossedchisles Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/08/08 02:09 AM
Thanks rdd, I forgot to point out that John Dukes always used a Joseph Manton DB Flintlock for his Killing Rodents along the "Grand Union Canal". He would be in the Irongate Pub most days, 5.30pm to 8.pm.always had that Manton Double with him loaded,not primed, He had the dog tied to it and a chair-leg.Carried a;Straight-Razor on a leather lace around his neck.His stories of "Cutting the Hun in the Trenches '(WW1)with his razor would make the Scotch Eggs stick in my throat"!But Pints of 'Best Bitter' would settle everything back down. Thanks for all those(These) Grand Photos......crossed chisles'
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/08/08 03:32 AM
Grogel, I sent you a PM. I hope you got it.

Regards,Dean
Posted By: grogel Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/22/08 08:47 PM
Skeetshooters, 1937
Posted By: KMcMichael Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/22/08 09:55 PM
I find it amazing the way that those guys dressed up to shoot skeet. How times have changed! Now you see shorts Tshirts and flip flops.

All my ancestors ever seemed to use in photographs were mules, axes and crosscut saws.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/22/08 10:32 PM
The guys in Grogel's post are the ones who should have taught us about eye and ear protection.
Posted By: grogel Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/22/08 10:54 PM
KMcMichael , I thought the same thing about the dress. Thought this photo had kind of a gangster feel. Every time i look at it , the guy standing on the leash looks more like John Goodman.
Posted By: JM Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/22/08 11:56 PM
Could you imagine the reaction of the firearm-phobics today if someone walked around London with a gun to shoot rats even if they were employed by the government to do the job?

My how times have changed, and not for the better.
Posted By: Bret Adams Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/23/08 07:51 AM
Who can identify the skeet guns? Are both O/U's Rem 32's? 2nd guy, a Rem 31 w/Cutts? 3rd guy a 20 or 28 M12? or is it a 42?
Posted By: Salopian Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/23/08 07:53 AM
Guys do walk round London & Birmingham today killing rats.
Normally has something to do with a drugs deal.
Posted By: marklart Re: Stopped by to share some photos - 02/23/08 02:59 PM
Apparently back then, if it flies it dies. Sad.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com