doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rabbit Another Parker neighbor - 02/25/08 10:17 PM

Meriden 12ga 30 damascus. Double underlug and wedge crossbolt in rib extension. Patent July 1907 on the rib; "HRF" (tube maker?) clearly visible both barrels fwd. of flats. Numbers match; bit of bright case left side under the fence. Extractor gun; figured stock; fairly tall dimension at 1 1/2-2 5/8. 14" frnt trigger to rear ribbed buttplate. Pretty solid old thing; forend a wee bit loose but no lateral play open and locks up like 1907. I think these bores are going to clean up just fine altho the gun is filthy. Ends of chambers looks very good; no corrosion ring. S/N 52xxx. "D30" adjacent serial on water table. Excellent even trigger pulls and nice rounded pins. Screws in sideplates are hauled down too much and out of time but slots there and elsewhere are pretty decent. Any info as to grade and market value heartily welcomed. I just had to bite on this old feller.

jack
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/25/08 10:23 PM
Rabbit, there should be another number on the receiver flats. Maybe 52 or 53 ?
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/25/08 10:26 PM
Daryl, "52" on right side water table; only serial on flats.

jack
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/25/08 10:28 PM
Jack, that is your grade. They went up to 58 in the catalog, but could be much higher on special order.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/25/08 10:32 PM
Thanks Daryl. I take it this is lower end of the grades--maybe one step up from field grade?

jack
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/25/08 11:03 PM
Jack: could you please post an ultra close up of the 'HRF' (maybe chalked?), which should be H.R.F. of Heuse-Riga Fils http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20h/a%20heuse%20gb.htm
That mark has been found on an Ithaca Flues model.
And may I add the pic to the 'AJ Aubrey and Meriden Fire Arms' album? Thanks!
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 12:18 AM
Doc Drew: I have several other fotos which I took quickly after rushing home this evening but I did not include the HRF stamp in the shot of the barrel flats. I prefer to photograph outdoors; tomorrow evening I'll try again and post if successful; perhaps a few others also. Thanks for the Littlegun link; I'll check it out You certainly may add any foto you wish to your Meriden album. In the meantime, I have a question. Is it the case that Meriden continued to import damascus tubes until the First World War and that the interruption of supply put paid to their operation?

jack
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 12:36 AM
I am a fan of Meriden Firearms and that looks like a pretty nice example.
That bird, however, must be hopping as it can't possibly be engaged in sustained flight. And all this time we thought the Parker Bros. G-grade owned the option on "flying turnips."
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 01:07 AM
Jack: so far we've identified Belgian maker's marks on Sears/A.J. Aubrey/Meriden Fire Arms Co. from Jean-Baptiste Delcour-Dupont/Canons Delcour, Henri Pieper, Heuse-Riga Fils, and Lucient Clement. The latest Sears catalog that I've seen is 1909, so I don't know how long Damascus barrels were offered. Pete M is collecting serial number information, but we have no way of connecting those numbers to the date of manufacture.
The manufacturing facility was sold to New England Westinghouse in 1916, possibly because Westinghouse had just received a contract to produce Mosen Nagant rifles and bayonets for Russia. Some guns were produced in another facility on Center Street in Meriden until 1918 when Sears announced that the Meriden Fire Arms Company would discontinue the manufacture of sporting guns.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 01:29 AM
I believe there are Parker "footballs" on Ithaca Flues guns also.
All Meridens I had previously seen were field grades and shot to a faretheewell. Given the condition and functionality (assuming Riga Sons barrels can be trusted up to 5000psi) I think I got a reasonable deal for 3C.

jack
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 11:34 AM
Neat gun and nice example ol'Rabbit.
I've only seen one Meriden gun, a lower grade it was too and yours in way better condition. Seems you made a good deal.
Btw, I like the stylized birds!
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 01:49 PM
I really like the scroll.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 01:58 PM
Nice looking flinte. The wood/metal junction looks bit "frosty". I hope the guts aren't in horrendous shape.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 09:47 PM
For Drew's pictorial record:

Meriden 12 ga barrelset w/ H.R.F. stamp
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 10:03 PM
Lowelly, Meriden field grades usually look like they were built at the cast-iron stove foundry. This one has some potential because it has more than a remnant of robust good health. Course all frogs and vintage doubleguns has good pints and bad. I'm up to four damascus doubles now. Shot the other three with nitro; only one of them with black. Gun is 8 lb. even and barrels appear at first glance to be heavy like those on my SAC gun so may shoot this one eventually but will do a bit of plumbing the depths with Ye Olde Walle Theekness Gage and maybe ask Orlen to take a looksee before I do. Got to do something about the "travelling" forend also. Maybe some weld on the forend lug.

jack
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 11:01 PM
Rabbit, your Meriden has that certain rustic thing going for it!
I think it was a country doctor's gun?
There is no Brit tier system that I know of for American guns.
So heres my American rating system.
(1st tier) above the fireplace it goes.
(2nd tier) behind the mudroom door it's propped.
(3rd tier) under the bed springs it stays.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 11:35 PM
On BV alone, there sure as hell is an American tier system!

jack
Posted By: HIGH$TRAP Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 11:53 PM
Them aint birds, thems flyin turnips.But I like em, specially on my Parkers ;>) Bob
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/26/08 11:53 PM
Could be - coud be at that olden Rabbit, but all in all, thats an interesting piece you have. One day, I can only hope your post a pic of the Meriden and SAC...together!
Maybe with a Chesapeake Bay duck decoy stuck in there, somewhere?
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/27/08 12:56 AM
If you'd been privileged to read the paean to rafted ducks riding the swells on the south coast sent to me by a friend of yours and mine, you'd think of that larded football as normal.

Lemme see, Parker? That rings a bell. You heard of that one, Lowell?

jack
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/27/08 02:03 AM
We're all just one step away from Parkerville.
Something about old farts and 'em!
Nothing special mind you, its just killing time at the PGCA table.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/27/08 02:10 AM
Thanks so much Jack. I've got the HRF on the 'Belgian Maker's Marks' album, and the lockplate on the 'A.J. Aubrey and Meriden Fire Arms Co.' album http://www.picturetrail.com/revdocdrew
Please e-mail me at revdoc2@cox.net with the rest of your name so I can make the appropriate attribution
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/27/08 03:16 AM
May have some better pix of lockplates, Drew. Put a chunk of coke can (.003") in the front of the forend slot tonite. Stopped forend from shifting. May make it permanent by soldering shim there rather than messing with the lug.

Jack Gilmore
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/27/08 03:25 AM
Thanks again Jack. Drew
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/28/08 03:04 AM
Here's the other duck, Doc.

Posted By: james-l Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/28/08 07:05 PM
Jack what the H*** is that thing on the right lock? I am surprised HJ has not logged in on this.

Jim
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/28/08 07:11 PM
Got it Jack, and thanks.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/28/08 07:50 PM
Jack,

Nice gun. Please send me the complete serial number to XX
Already have a couple of 53XXX guns, this is the 1st damascus in that numeric series.

The list is still too short to begin making guesses about dates. I will say, this one appears to be closer to being produced shortly after AJ Aubrey left the company.

As Drew stated, the barrels were made by Heuse-Riga. If memory serves, they also provided the barrels for the Colt 1883. As best we can tell at the moment Gough was doing some engraving for them. So those may his turnips

Pete

Posted By: sweep Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/28/08 09:10 PM
I can only guess what that duck is saying to you. That makes me smile. I like it. Very nice gun. I have a plainjane Meriden 12 gauge. I don't use it much, it shoots more like a rifle than a shotgun lol.
Posted By: Jeff Mull Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/28/08 09:13 PM
Parkers had flying turnips, this gun had a flying beet on the left dise but this???? OMG!

That duck on the right has to go on the list of all time great ducks.

Jeff
Posted By: rabbit Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/28/08 09:54 PM
Maybe the canary was sick that morning? Maybe the engraver was working piecework (which ones don't), slipped and recovered. s/n 52246, Pete.

jack
Posted By: PeteM Re: Another Parker neighbor - 02/29/08 01:14 AM
Jack,

Thanks. Check your email, I sent you some things.

Pete
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com