doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jerry6stl Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 12:54 AM

CABELA's currently has a sale on turkish Charles Daly SxS's in either 12 or 20 gauge -- for $369. They come with three choke tubes, 28" barrel chambered for 3" shells, a single selective trigger, machined engraving, and a thin rubber recoil pad. Typical boxlock design with a push-rod forend release. Looks very similar to the HUGLU. It seemed like a good buy, and looked well made, so I bought one. While not a high quality item, I thought it would be a suitable rainy/snowy day gun, or a loaner.

When I took it out to a sporting clays course on Saturday, I discovered it "doubled" about 20% of the time -- firing both barrels at once.

CABELA's took it back for a full refund with zero hassle. They said I was the first person to return one; but they had only been on sale for one week.

I don't know if the trigger problem was unique to my gun, or whether their quality control is lacking. I didn't feel like messing with another one from the same maker. The problem could probably be repaired by a competent smith, but was disappointing on a brand new shotgun.

Jerry Goldstein
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 01:29 AM
Cabela's knows what they're worth. You won't get much gun for $369, in a SxS or O/U. You can't even buy a decent pump or autoloader for that money. Doesn't matter what name is on it. Crap is crap, even from Cabela's. I'm happy you got your money back.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 01:36 AM
Hi Jerry:

I won a Turkish Huglu / CZ SxS 28 gauge single trigger at the Quail Unlimited dinner a couple of years ago. It doubled right out of the box.

I am not picking on Turk guns. I am sure they can and do turn out a good good for a good price.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 01:47 AM
OK, Mike, are you saying that you don't want a gun that doubles ? Some folks need them.
Posted By: C. Kofoed Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 02:21 AM
I have a new Turkish-made Smith & Wesson side by side to test. It had a few cosmetic issues to start but seems very solid and two levels up from the Huglu/CZ guns. They now offer double triggers too. So far I'm quite impressed. Good shooting.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 02:39 AM
I shot a borrowed Daly single trigger 28 ga. double for the first time at the Lake Oconee S x S sub-guage events a couple weeks ago. Never had fired it before the shoot and it performed flawlessly. No doubling or failures of any kind. I was impressed with the function of the gun, but it may not have been as low a grade gun as ya'll had. It was won at the NWTF "Turkey Shoot" in the S x S event a couple years ago.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 11:33 AM
Clair, I had one of those too. My only serious complaint was trigger pull, which was somewhere north of 9#. Fit, finish etc was very good. Of course they also cost 2-3X more than a CZ! Mine was a ST gun. Wonder if they've straightened out the trigger issue (which both Bruce Buck and Phil Bourjaily also commented on). Would've liked it better with two triggers.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
OK, Mike, are you saying that you don't want a gun that doubles ? Some folks need them.

I am not going to take any ribbing about my shooting from a guy that bought a three barreled shotgun.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: C. Kofoed Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 06:52 PM
This gun has excellent, under 4 lb, triggers. I see some of the single trigger guns online for $1600 to $1800.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 08:42 PM
I've seen those prices too, Clair. If they hold in that range, I think they may have a market. The only hump they need to get over is the fact they're made in Turkey. A lot of people are happy with their $800 (or less) Turkish sxs; S&W and Kimber are gambling that there will be a market for better guns from Turkey. Time will tell.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/26/08 09:32 PM
The first Huglu/Cz I bought was a 28 with a single trigger. It never did work well, doubling, not shooting at all, and finally the lower rib came loose. I got my money back, and bought same gun, double triggers. It has had thousands of rounds through it wih nary a burp. I bought this year, because of steel regs, a 12 bore. So far so good, after a couple of hundred rounds. IMHO a lot of gun for the money.
Posted By: chux Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/27/08 01:42 PM
I have a cz 28ga ringneck that I shoot over my dogs and went on a hot dove hunt last year, never a problem, have over 1k rounds, has never doubled or failed to go bang.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/27/08 02:07 PM
How do some of you guys look in the mirror and shave every morning?? I wouldn't own one of those huglus or ha-za-zas or o-boo-boos or whatever the heck they're called unless I had at least one Ruger Red label or CSMC in my gun cabinet.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/27/08 02:17 PM
I have a beard.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/27/08 03:12 PM
Oh, okay then, that's cool
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Turkish Charles Daly SxS - 03/27/08 03:15 PM
I am a contractor.

Best,

Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com