doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dubbletrubble I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 06:54 PM
So how many fine old guns do you figure are in those piles? I think I'm gonna be sick.

Posted By: Franc Otte Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 07:45 PM
yes,that is a horrible sight man....i'd sure liked to have had a half hour to rummage thru em.
It took me a bit to realise they were guns..i thought they were huts with strange looking shingles...bummer
franc
Posted By: JM Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 08:07 PM
Anything of collector value was probably removed and quietly wound up in the private collection of some high level government official.

Some are more equal than others in countries like that.
Posted By: Jeff Mull Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 08:33 PM
Few to none......you can be sure that pile was carefully picked over more than once.

Jeff
Posted By: Robe763 Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 09:20 PM
where is this taking place
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 10:08 PM
There's got to be at least 1 in that mountain that would look good in my safe.

Looks like it might be taking place in Southern California! Well, we're not quite there ...yet!
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 10:17 PM
Looks like they are burning up their old WWII surplus now that their AK47s have arrived.
Posted By: Geno Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 10:30 PM
what's the story?
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 10:49 PM
I don't know the story. I think it is Obama's minister with the torch. I too think there HAS to be at least one in there that would fit in my safe. Looks like it could be in Africa. I think they are all Victorian era double rifles and drillings.
Posted By: Stallones Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 10:59 PM
Looks like Obama's Deputy of Defense to me. A Frightning view of the future.
Posted By: Geno Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 11:13 PM
Quote:
Victorian era double rifles and drillings

Oh, Man!
I have to say commy were smarter here. They confiscated good guns from ordinary people and gave these guns to commy bosses.

My friend' grandpa got pair of best English guns and when the war has began he been forced to put his guns to militia (police) and been promissed he'd get his guns back after the war.
After the war he went to the police again to take his guns back, but officer told him, Sorry, it was terrible war and your guns disappered. Plz, take 2 other guns (not the best of cause).
In several years he been invited for the hunting with some commy boses and recognized one of his English guns in hands of one boss.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 11:21 PM
I was just kidding Geno. Sad to hear about your friends Gpa's guns. I hope we don't soon have to do the same.
Posted By: James M Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 11:31 PM
This is some backwater African Country where guns aren't necessary since the citizens are very efficient in dispatching each other by hacking with machetes. The point being made by some left wing government here is if we could just get rid of all those nasty guns everyone would become friends and sit around campfires singing Cumbyya and exchanging hugs well; at least until the machetes came out.
Oh and I will add after reviewing the story; another "gun free" zone. IMO: That's that same thing as issuing licenses to kill.
Oh and Lowell IT'S A RIGHT! At least here in the USA. I don't know where you live but I fully expect the Supreme Court to affirm the fact the owning firearms is an individual right sometime this year.
"Number of groups"? That's called profiling here and is illegal and unless someone has a criminal or mental health record they are legally within their rights to own firearms.
Jim
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/28/08 11:49 PM
Burn baby - burn.
Imho, not everyone has the right to be armed!
I can think of a number of groups that I would like to see disarmed.
...and whats next, African AIDs patients at the stake - why not, just as deadly eh! Its nature's way ol'boy.

Posted By: eeb Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 01:09 AM
All of you guys are wrong. Don't you recognize the District of Columbia Chief of Police?
Posted By: tw Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 01:10 AM
I think this may be the link to the story ..

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0dGuaIo4BUaEN
Posted By: keith Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 02:10 AM
I am also reasonably sure the pile was picked over before the fire. Thirty yrs. ago a local gunsmith/gunshop owner told me the guns on his racks were all junk and then showed me his personal collection. All heavily engraved doubles, drillings, veirlings, cape guns etc. He told me he was an armorer in the German army in WWII. Part of his job was to crush the bbls. and receivers of guns that the Nazis' confiscated from the towns they conquered, and then the scrap was sent back to be made into tanks and U-boats. He said he crushed a lot of real good guns, but the really really nice one were stashed and smuggled to the U.S. after the war when he moved here. Unbeleivable stuff, and probably rusting away now as even then there was fine dry rust forming on many of them, and it would keep a guy busy for a year to clean and oil them. The guy was an absolute nut and trips to his shop were always entertaining...like the time a 5 yr. old kid got away from his Dad and found a loaded Mauser machine pistol behind the counter and was waving it around at the customers. Memories.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: tw
I think this may be the link to the story ..

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0dGuaIo4BUaEN

Yes I believe you are right.
Posted By: Sliver Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 03:04 AM
I can see a couple of Purdeys and H & H. Only one Boss!
What a shame.
It reminds me of the communists burning all books that were not into their ideology.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 05:06 AM
Equality of all "men" is a stupid bedtime story....perhaps at the time when one of them lucky speramtozoans fertalizes that ovum....and even at that time it's debatable.
Posted By: LGF Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 07:27 AM
As a conservationist in Africa, this pic brings joy to my heart. Firstly, I doubt very much there are any decent guns in there; mostly ancient military rifles. More important, western Tanzania has a godawful poaching problem - all the wildlife is being eaten. These guns were most likely being used for large scale meat-poaching, and their destruction is saving tens of thousands of animals. Northern Kenya is awash with AK's, and as a result there is no wildlife left. This has been the story in one African country after another. And the gangs in Nairobi who used to be armed merely with pangas (machetes), now have AK's, too. Traditional livestock raiding is still a way of life here in northern Kenya. Until twenty years ago, a raid entailed a lot of hooting and hollering, and only occasionally someone hurt by a spear. Today the AK's often leave a few dozen dead behind - women, children, old men. As Lowell says, not everyone should be armed.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 07:56 AM
They sure are stacked in a very neat order. It looks like there might be something holding them up and the whole stack might not be all guns.
Posted By: JM Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 09:35 AM
Originally Posted By: LGF
As a conservationist in Africa, this pic brings joy to my heart. Firstly, I doubt very much there are any decent guns in there; mostly ancient military rifles. More important, western Tanzania has a godawful poaching problem - all the wildlife is being eaten. These guns were most likely being used for large scale meat-poaching, and their destruction is saving tens of thousands of animals. Northern Kenya is awash with AK's, and as a result there is no wildlife left. This has been the story in one African country after another. And the gangs in Nairobi who used to be armed merely with pangas (machetes), now have AK's, too. Traditional livestock raiding is still a way of life here in northern Kenya. Until twenty years ago, a raid entailed a lot of hooting and hollering, and only occasionally someone hurt by a spear. Today the AK's often leave a few dozen dead behind - women, children, old men. As Lowell says, not everyone should be armed.

No one would deny that stopping poaching would be a good thing. However, burning the guns does nothing to stop the poaching because the guns are not the cause of poaching. When the governments begin to address the reasons for poaching, rather than the means, then poaching will decline.

People who commit these acts will have no difficulty getting guns no matter how many laws are passed or how many guns are destroyed.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 11:01 AM
I bet it's harder to bring down rhino or jumbo with spear, bow or an ax eh?
Posted By: cadet Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 12:17 PM
If you rummage around the 'net a little you'll see similar images from Australia: claws on the ends of cranes in scrap metal yards crushing grandpa's rabbit guns in their thousands; that was after the death of a thousand cuts though, when the individuals who were forced to surrender them were invited to see them first individually crushed to make them irrepairably disabled (because in earlier times a lot of surrendered stuff was not disabled and was waylaid on the way to the smelter. Infamously, the Port Arthur massacre was commited with such surrendered and rebirthed guns).

Much good stuff was quietly rescued, but a lot was scrapped too.
RG
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 01:05 PM
Good people deserve good guns, and so it goes - breeding shows.
...and some I do not trust with a butter knife!
Posted By: Bob Rowley Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 02:06 PM
That should be the poster for the Democratic agenda
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Good people deserve good guns, and so it goes - breeding shows.

I breed some real good dogs. Start by picking carefully and get pups with great pedigrees and then only breed the ones that grow up superior.
I never thought to be so selective in breeding people. How does one go about doing that Lowell? Jake
Posted By: cadet Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/29/08 10:17 PM
I think some bloke had a few ideas about human pedigrees in the 1930s; Germany I think it was. Something about an Aryan super race and "lebensraum" for them to live in? Sounded quite idealistic and utopian really, but it got quite embarrassing when he saw how fast black guys could run (and I suspect he had a sneaking admiration for the way yellow guys could overrun, too). Same bloke had some really neat ideas on the registration of guns, too. Philospher of sorts - Albert Hiller? His name escapes me for the moment...
RG
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/30/08 01:15 AM
Happened here also
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...xJMXUpY#PPP1,M1

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Actually, Edmund Burke never said this, but a fella named James sorta did:
"Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

I'm afraid many of us would end up WAY in the back of the Eugenics line

Posted By: tw Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/30/08 01:45 AM
This happened a year ago and it was a staged publicity event; the pic of the folks previously cheering instantly fleeing at the sound of the burning ammunition going off, if that's what it was, speaks for itself. It did not look like that many people were in the crowd.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/30/08 12:23 PM
If I have to go into the details of how "breeding shows," ol'Jake - I'd be wasting my time!
Posted By: Yogi 000 Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/31/08 06:20 PM
Oh jeez, that picture sure looks like such a PHOTOSHOP hack job.

Those rifles seem suspended against gravity. There are no wires binding them together or anything to give them support.

Look at the black rifle on the very edge in front. It is levitated. That picture sure looks fake.

I think someone faked this photo and then planted it to try to rile some people up.

Caption could just as well read: NOT a real photo, just propoganda, guys. FOX (FAUX) News.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/31/08 06:23 PM
Last I knew AP didn't shop there images.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: I think I'm gonna cry! - 03/31/08 07:22 PM
That picture is only about 450 pixels x 400. I don't know if wire can be seen at such low resolution in a picture taken from the distance that one was shot at.

It doesn't appear fake to me.

Best,

Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com