doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: battle need a project??? - 03/31/08 01:43 AM
If i was a good stocker maker!
http://www.forthehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=96124635
Posted By: Researcher Re: need a project??? - 03/31/08 01:47 AM
DT/CC should be able to fix that up in his spare time!
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: need a project??? - 03/31/08 01:59 AM
The buggy rifle he has is even better. "In relic condition"
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: need a project??? - 03/31/08 02:13 AM
Not one of the better ones MADE FOR Beesley from Prudey's and needing some metal + wood RundR. Some folks haven't a grain of shame. That buggy thing belongs in a dumpster!
Posted By: KY Jon Re: need a project??? - 03/31/08 02:39 AM
After making a lug for the lower rib I guess you might as well put the gun back on face. That is if you do not have to take a detour and have to relay the lower rib. IF that does not take you 40 years like the last owner then you can learn how much fun it is to inlet a side lock gun from a square blank. Number three on the things I like to do list. Number two is mention my wifes weight and number one is scratching my eyes with barbed wire.

But to be fair it is just now getting over priced. $50.00 is about what I want to invest in a good door prop. How about you?
Posted By: Norm Re: need a project??? - 03/31/08 03:32 AM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Number two is mention my wifes weight and number one is scratching my eyes with barbed wire.

Jon, you sure you have those in the right order?
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: need a project??? - 03/31/08 07:18 AM
Ken Hurst, here is a project for you when you finish that 1894 Remington!!
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: need a project??? - 03/31/08 12:31 PM
I almost went for, it but, the same reasons Jon used came up & scared me off.
Posted By: eightbore Re: need a project??? - 03/31/08 02:13 PM
The gap in the breech is scarier than the missing stock.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: need a project??? - 04/01/08 03:16 AM
All right, I confess. I would rather mention my wifes weight after I had a few minutes to rub my eyes with barbed wire. Happy now.

If that was a Fox it would be about a B/C grade, Lefever a late style E grade. Point is that the winner might end up putting several thousand dollars or several hundred hours into a gun of mid level value at the best of times. Farm all the work out and you could easily end up with $4,000 or 5,000 dollars in the gun before you are done. Maybe much more than that if the barrels are a problem.

Now at 200 plus dollars it is getting into decent money for a project gun with major problems. What ever you do you will have a gun with a new forend with no matching wood and/or metal to the original gun. On top of that this is the potential money pit that we are often warned about avoiding. The best project guns you might get a dollar out for each dollar invested. This one will return maybe fifty cents on the dollar if you are lucky.
Posted By: eightbore Re: need a project??? - 04/01/08 12:23 PM
Project guns made from wrecks or from scratch are usually so personalized that interest beyond the builder is sometimes elusive. My present project is for me, future value on the collector gun market is quite secondary in importance. However, in the distant future, good taste and good workmanship will win out and even my projects will sell for big bucks. However, identifying the craftsmen, filers, engravers, stockers, by name, will make a good effort quite collectable, although maybe not next year.
Posted By: Jeff Mull Re: need a project??? - 04/01/08 02:30 PM
I love the screw in the top lever...I can't decide whether it is early "Ace" hardware or the later "Servicestar" design.

Jeff
Posted By: scattergun Re: need a project??? - 04/04/08 03:44 PM
My question is, could anyone make a replacement stock for this?
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: need a project??? - 04/04/08 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: scattergun
My question is, could anyone make a replacement stock for this?

The short answer to your question is - absolutely. The big question I have with the gun is the condition of the barrels and their wall thickness. Screws and parts can be made but a bad set of tubes can make the project cost to high to make restoration have any economic sense IMHO.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com