doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jakearoo Fox Price Check Please - 05/01/08 05:56 PM
Greetings Mates,
I met a young man last summer in Montana who wanted to buy an old double. We had some discussions and apparently he has recently acquired a Fox. I am pasting from an email he just sent me:

I just picked up an A.H Fox A Grade in great condition. The gun was built in 1906, all original wood, ejectors, original double ivory beads, 85% bluing, very little case hardening, and not a single ding, scratch, or scuff on the wood or the steel. It is chambered in 12 GA. and has 30" Krupp fluid-steel Full/Full barrels. The wood is highly figured maple and completely original. The butt pad is after market--just an old waffle pad. I bought it at a gun and knife show for $1,100. I do not want to sell it but I do want to get some idea of its value. Can you help?

So, I throw it to this group of experts. Thoughts?

Best Regards, Jake
Posted By: Laxcoach Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/01/08 06:11 PM
"highly figured MAPLE"?
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/01/08 06:17 PM
Good luck. I have been waiting on approximate value of Winchester Mod. 21 since 29th of april.
All I know is that ejectors add about $250 to the price of basic A.H.Fox and with that "curley maple" this one does not sound ordinary to me. Why, with them double ivories it might be one of the kind 'Pigeon Special'.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/01/08 06:18 PM
Herr klunkermiester prefered the old A grade engraveing over the newer. You can check Roys auction reports on the home page to get a good idea of what like guns are going for. I would question maple stock but anything can happen in the gun world.
Posted By: Silvers Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/01/08 06:41 PM
Just a few thoughts. The gent in MT said the gun was built in 1906 and it has ejectors. Does it have the 1st or 2nd gen ejectors? The second gen system was patented in 1911 by Frederick Russell. To be sure many earlier guns were retrofitted by Fox with the Russell ejectors, but in my mind at least the presence of 1st gen ejectors would made it less valuable if he (or you) ever want to shoot it extensively. Parts are essentially non available. Also, the condition of the bores wasn't mentioned in the email you copied. Early Fox guns may be seen with significant corrosion. Again that may not matter to a collector but it certainly would to many potential buyers. Finally, 85% barrel blue and not single ding, scratch, scuff, etc. on the wood doesn't sound right to me. I would have to see a "factory letter" from John Callahan, or if its serial number is absent in the records, a statement from one or more recognized Fox authorities attesting the maple stock is likely original to the gun. Silvers
Posted By: M D Christian Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/01/08 07:08 PM
I don't think Ansley Fox would put a maple stock on a gun.. I'm guessing a restock, worth about $200 less than he paid for it..MDC
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/01/08 10:44 PM
Pictures would help. Also it would be helpful to know the markings and serial number so we could tell whether it is a PAC gun or an A.H. Fox gun. I want pictures of that maple stock.
Posted By: baydog Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/02/08 01:55 AM
That highly figured maple could very well be a nice piece of walnut. It may have the rays in it like tiger of fiddle back maple and been mistaken for maple.
Posted By: jmc Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/02/08 11:46 AM
I'm hoping the young man found an early A-grade in high condition with its original stock that happens to be nice walnut and mistakenly stated it was 'maple' which is so rarely seen on these guns. I'm also hoping for some good pics as it also a very early A.H. Fox gun and I'm interested in whether it has the original ejectors. Glad to have another Fox guy in the fold...

-jmc
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/02/08 09:08 PM
Well y'all, Most of the things posted I have told him. I agree that it is unlikely maple. At least, if it is original. I am trying to get a description of the bores.

I have invited young Josh to join our merry band. He certainly seems to have the basic conditions in him to catch our disease.

Does anyone care to hazard a guess on value?

Regards, Jake
Posted By: Researcher Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/03/08 12:33 AM
If he just bought it, there has been an arms-length-transaction, and that is what its is worth. An early style A-/AE-Grade 12-gauge is the most common graded Fox in existance, and 30-inch is the most common 12-gauge barrel length. In an early gun I'd prefer extractors to the G.A. Horne patent ejectors.
Posted By: M D Christian Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/03/08 11:04 AM
It.s nearly impossible to price it, not knowing for sure about the stock and bore condition. Like I said earlier, if it's a maple replacement, it isn;t worth what he paid for it. If it's a factory walnut, and good bores, it's worth in the $1800 area. MDC
Posted By: George L. Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/04/08 02:51 AM
Never, Never, Ever seen a graded A.H. Fox with anything except European Walnut. If that's what it is and the bores are good I would say $1,600 - $2,400 would be a fair price.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: Birdawg Re: Fox Price Check Please - 05/04/08 02:27 PM
At the time of last purchase it was worth $1100. It may appreciated if he gets more information out to the world.
It is nice to know you made a good deal but the only monetary value you receive from a gun is after you no longer own it.

Find out more about the details of the gun, enjoying it for what it is will bring you more value if you like the gun. The same can be said if you want to trade of sell it.
Still decent fox guns are hard to find in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Thank God for Al Gores internet;)).
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com