doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Noble Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 05/16/08 05:11 PM
About a week ago Roy Eckrose had a stroke. I talked to his wife this morning and he is not good. Roy is in the hospital and will be for some time. He can not speak and has lost control of the right side of his body.
My prayers are with Roy and his family.
Bob
Posted By: PeteM Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/16/08 05:29 PM
I am sorry to hear this. Roy is good people. I will keep him and his family in my prayers.

Pete
Posted By: Montana Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/16/08 05:56 PM
I will be thinking of his work. My heart goes out to him and his family. He'll be in my prayers.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/16/08 06:03 PM
Roy was always saying that his hunting and shooting days are over, I never dreamed that this is what awaited him. May he have a speedy and full recovery and may God bless his heart.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/16/08 06:05 PM
A good friend and a great researcher. Roy, you are in my prayers.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/16/08 06:38 PM
God bless Roy and his family.
Posted By: Chris Schotz Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/16/08 06:43 PM
Roy is a great person. I'm very sad to hear of this. He has gone through a lot this year. I sure wish him a speedy recovery.
Chris
Posted By: C. Kofoed Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/16/08 11:52 PM
Very sad news.

Roy, get well soon, we are all pulling for you.

C.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 12:10 AM
Dear friend;
May God guide the healing hands of those that care for you.
May you fight with the strength that we all send to you.
May your loved ones be comforted.
John
Posted By: battle Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 12:13 AM
Roy.......God bless you and family!
Posted By: King Brown Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 12:32 AM
I looked forward to his reports. He's been a valuable member of the board. I didn't know him, never met him. He seemed like the person you'd like to have around. Let's hope there's enough muscle and tissue and juices to pull him through.
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 01:16 AM
My prayers are with Roy and his family....

Roy is a good man...His auction reports arrive monthly on schedule and they are truly a labor of love for him and an invaluable resource for the SxS community.

I wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to getting his next Double Gun Auction Report.
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 01:27 AM
I had the great pleasure of meeting Roy at the Las Vegas show this year. I am very sad to hear this news and hope he makes a complete recovery. All of his friends in the Lefever Arms Collectors Association are pulling for him and praying for him.

Rich
Posted By: Harry Sanders Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 01:28 AM
Get well soon Roy.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 01:50 AM
I also have never met Roy except through the board here. He has definitely been an asset to this board. Roy may you have a speedy & complete recovery. Unfortunately so many of us here are not so young anymore. I myself turned 70 this year, but still have reasonable health So Far.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 02:26 AM
This is indeed sad new. We will put him on our prayer list and hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 02:54 AM
All the best to you Roy. Better days are ahead I am sure. Kurt
Posted By: RMC Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 03:22 AM
Roy and family, This DGBBS is a family of prayer warriors, and all that is needed is a call to prayer. Roy is in our prayers. Randy
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 03:26 AM
Roy,
May God's hands continue to assist you in your healing. My thoughts and continued prayers are with you..-Doug
Posted By: Peter A. Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 12:39 PM
Roy,
You are in our thought, may your recovery be quick and complete. I really enjoy your reports.

Peter A.
Posted By: J. Stephens Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/17/08 12:54 PM
Roy...Get well soon! We are all thinking of you and you are in our thoughts and prayers! Jeff Stephens
Posted By: RWG Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/18/08 02:00 AM
Roy, we're pulling for you buddy. Get well soon good friend.

Anyone have an address for sending cards to Roy and his family? Do they need anything?

Russ
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/18/08 05:31 AM
So sorry to hear about this! Hope you get well soon, Roy. Our prayers go out to you ol' buddy. God Bless!
Posted By: Sliver Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/18/08 03:29 PM
Get well soon!
I don't know Roy but for one thing, I have derived great info from Roy's auction reports. I thought that was a very tedious, time consuming job, to gather all that info. My prayers are with you.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/19/08 08:11 PM
Sad news. I hope and pray for Roy's recovery.

Bob Noble, if you get an update, let us know.
Posted By: tw Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/19/08 08:45 PM
I too am greatly saddened to hear of this development for Roy and for his family. Prayers are forthcoming for a sound and solid recovery.

I hope that someone will think to take a copy of the photograph he shared w/us of he and his grandaughter fishing to his room to brighten it up for him.

His contributions here have broadened all our understanding of what the market is actually doing and we are all in his debt for that.
Posted By: bay Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 05/19/08 11:15 PM
Get well soon. Thoughts & prayers your way.

-brian
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/18/08 02:46 AM
The debilitations caused by stroke are frustrating and seem insurmountable at first but you will get through this. Take it easy but keep the faith - the healing will come. Wishing you only the best in your recovery. It will come, slowly at first but recovery will come.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/18/08 03:59 AM
Make it a good fight Roy, you have it in you.

best wishes, Rob
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/18/08 04:10 AM
I don't know your friend Roy-Dean, but as Hemingway took the words from Irish poet John Dunne- "No Man Is An Island" for one of his better novels- I'll add my thoughts and prayers for this friend of yours. Off Topic- but as you are near Boston- our Celtics are again "Champions" !! RWTF--
Posted By: M D Christian Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/18/08 10:35 AM
May God speed your recovery, Roy.... MDC
Posted By: JayCee Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/18/08 11:14 AM
Get well soon Mr. Eckrose. You are in my prayers.

JC
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/18/08 02:31 PM
I just talked with Roy's wife, Janet, and he's moving to a nursing home for more rehab. If any of you want it, Roy's mailing address is 3214 Windsor Lane, Janesville, Wisc. 53546.
Posted By: Don Hardin Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/19/08 12:46 AM
Roy we want you back at our table again. Have always admired you and your work. Get well!!
Posted By: GregSY Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/19/08 01:09 AM
I wish you'd change the title of this thread.
Posted By: RWG Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/19/08 01:19 AM
Thanks Daryl. I'll get a card off this week. Russ
Posted By: RGS022 Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/19/08 03:50 PM
Roy,
Get well soon. I had a stroke at 51 and it took a long time to recover. Attitude is the hard part. Don't give up. The stroke screwed up my emotions, I cry over stupid things and get ferociously angry over others, and I have to fight it every day.
God Bless You, Roy. You will be in my prayers.
Posted By: erik meade Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/19/08 06:57 PM
More prayers
Posted By: brad eckrose Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/20/08 12:21 AM
Dear Doublegunners,

My name is Brad Eckrose. I'm sitting here with Roy reading through your heartfelt posts. We thank you so much for your prayers and wishes. Your concern has gladdened us, as well as brought tears to our eyes.

I agree that we should change the name of the thread! Any ideas?

Thanks so much again,

Brad & Roy & Jan
Posted By: Chris Schotz Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/20/08 01:11 AM
Brad,
Tell Roy to get up and on his feet soon. I have a bunch of work for him to do. Plus he's missing all that fishing and soon it will be grouse season.
Roy, All my best to you for a speedy and full recovery. I miss your posts and the auction report.
Chris
Posted By: Jeff L. Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/20/08 01:42 AM
Brad & Roy,

Of course you don't know me from Adam, but I'm out here hoping and praying for your rapid recovery and return to the great outdoors.

Sincerely,

Jeff Loth
Posted By: GregSY Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/20/08 01:44 AM
"Roy's reloading"
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/20/08 12:28 PM
Roy-
We miss your knowledgeable posts and your expertly compiled auction reports. Our continued thoughts and prayers go out to you for a progressive and productive recovery. We all are awaiting your next post...
Posted By: M&M Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/20/08 02:08 PM
I'm another you don't know from the man in the moon, but I don't think it matters. Get well soon.

Milton
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/20/08 02:43 PM
Roy, I had my stroke 3 years ago at age 57. The recovery and learning to use body parts that don't seem to work correctly can be depressing, but the rehab pays off. Other than numbness in my left hand and a little general weakness on my left side, I'm now about as good as I ever was.

You have a lot of "friends" on this BBS you've never even met, and we're all pulling for you...Geo
Posted By: Tomball Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/20/08 11:08 PM
I am into my 15th month of recovery from a subarachnoid brain hemmorhage(also a stroke). I am doing great but still have some issues. Never give up, keep the faith as the rest of us have.

My prays are with you.

Benny Kirkham
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/21/08 01:34 AM
Roy, we all miss you and pray for you a speedy recovery! Bobby
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/21/08 02:07 AM
Roy we all wish you a speedy recovery. Keep working and it will come. Jon
Posted By: DMacLeod Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/21/08 10:48 AM
Roy, Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery. Like others have said; Keep a positive attitude.
Posted By: builder Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/21/08 06:56 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family. I know our prayers will help you along and brace your family for the fight ahead.

God be with you,
Milt
Posted By: chopperlump Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/22/08 03:15 AM
Roy, my fellow Nitro Special guy, I'm hoping you're well soon! You don't know me from Adam but the brotherhood of gun lovers is stronger than most family ties. I know you're gonna be up and about soon. We all have missed your knowledgeable posts! Best to you and yours, Chopperlump
Posted By: Montana Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/23/08 12:24 PM
Roy, Brad, and family, please keep us posted. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Major mojo from Michigan.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/23/08 03:27 PM
Report for today is that Roy is speaking in sentences better and that is good news.
Posted By: RGS022 Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/23/08 04:00 PM
That's terrific news. It's a big morale booster to be able to communicate. Take your time Roy. Be positive. It will come.
Posted By: Montana Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/24/08 08:04 PM
Great news. Being able to communicate and tell there is progress is terrific.
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 06/25/08 12:47 AM
Roy, I just talked with a colleague at work who had a stroke in February - complete paralysis of his right side and total loss of speech. His speech has completely returned and he is now about 90% recovered on all counts. Every day he is getting better. I was really encouraged to hear his story. Keep up your progress. You will get there too. All the best,
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 07/04/08 03:16 PM
A note from Janet, Roy's wife, says that Roy is doing a bit better each day, with lots of things still to accomplish. More words are coming and he's able to play with his grandson a bit. A wonderful 4th to you all and sometime during the day, reflect on what it means.
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 07/04/08 04:13 PM
That's great news, Daryl. Happy July 4th to everyone.
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 07/05/08 12:08 AM
Yesireee... Can't wait for Roy's next post!!!........
Posted By: RGS022 Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 07/05/08 02:48 PM
Great news Roy. It takes time. Stay positive. I've been there. God Bless you and your family.
Posted By: brad eckrose Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 07/22/08 05:51 PM
Just a quick lunchtime update. A lot has happened since I last posted.

Roy continues to make incremental progress, small steps. He uses a lot more words now, but the apraxia causes the wrong ones to come out or puts them in the wrong order, making communication difficult. Communication is our number one priority right now!

Roy's son & his family visited over the 4th. I took Aunt Janet (AJ) over to the rehab center to meet them there and we all watched the parade. Good fun and the grandkids kept everyone entertained.

Roy's brother (my dad) came up from Florida the following week and we rented a wheelchair van and took him for his first jaunt away from the nursing home. We went to a local park, watched some kids swimming and fishing, and a dog splashing around. He drank in the fresh air and trees and open sky. It was a good ride. We stopped at a local Italian deli for some ice cream and gelato. A short but refreshing outing back to the world.

He had a brace fitted for his bad leg, so he can do more walking therapies. We've seen him start to use that leg and are encouraged that it will eventually be able to support enough weight so that we can take him on some outings that don't require renting the special van.

Jan and daughters and local friends have been frequent visitors, keeping his spirits up and taking him for walks and keeping him up-to-date on everything. His sisters-in-law came to visit last weekend and made sure he was fed well and often!

He has read this board many times and we are working on ways to enable him to communicate. Therapy is a long road. Being a family of techno-geeks and engineers, we are hoping technology and some ingenuity, insight, and inspiration will help us find or build the right tools to assist him. We've made a tentative start with an on-screen, mouse-driven keyboard, but we're still a long way from composing sentences.

This is also where you can help. In your vast experience, as tinkerers, nerds, and as caregivers yourselves, if you have seen any assistive technology, or heard of a program that works, or know how to make a home more accessible, or know how to retrofit a GMC Trailblazer that can make it handicap friendly-- email me or post it here. No idea is too small. Anything at all is welcome.

All for now,

Brad
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 07/23/08 01:30 PM
Brad-
Thank you for the update on Roy's recovery..It is encouraging to know that Roy is steadily progressing and that he also is checking this site.... We miss his inputs..
I have very little experience with what technology is out there to aid Roy as he recovers, but I'm sure there are many on this board that does...
Please continue to give us updates on Roy until he can do it himself...God Bless You all....
Posted By: Montana Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 07/23/08 02:00 PM
Only thoughts come from work with MS patients and with Bill Wise: What seems to help are the large track-ball type mouse set ups and big key boards. I read something about a keyboard created by lights projected on a table. No idea if still available though.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 07/26/08 04:25 AM
Brad, I can't offer any suggestions just my thoughts and prayers for a swift recovery, but any updates on how Roy is progressing???
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 07/26/08 01:16 PM
Roy you are still missed here and I know many have prayed for you.You sir are to damm young to give up so keep the good fight going for yourself and your family.Sure I myself miss the auction reports and your Nitro Special knowledge but its not near the love your family has for you and their desire to have you back.I believe between family God and self will you have the power to be home pestering folks by time the ducks fly. God Bless
Posted By: Roy Eckrose Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 08/01/08 03:10 PM
Not a lot to report yet as far as new progress. He moves his bad leg a little more and I've finally seen him control some movement in his arm with a lot of effort.

Progress in speech has slowed and that is a little disconcerting for him. So he has his good days and bad days.

But, I'm happy to report that yesterday was a good day, because we had the PTs teach us how to do a vehicle transfer so we don't need to rent a special wheelchair van to take him out.

For those who know Wisconsin, we took him to some of the local public hunting areas near Footville and Orfordville to help us who were normally passengers (and who didn't pay close enough attention) get familiar with the area. He directed our travels by pointing his index finger and we did find at least one of our old pheasnt hunting spots on leased farmland. He had a great time getting out in the country, driving with the windows open on a gorgeous summer day. Made all that Physical Terrorism, I mean physical therapy worth it!

We're looking into some touch screen laptops and software that may help with communication. It is difficult because all of us are at scattered distances throughout the state, so long visits require planning and long drives.

We are coming up on our normal Labor Day bass fishing adventure over which he presided as the Top Chef, and in which he is the hall of fame for catching the most 20+" smallmouth bass. We're in the planning stages of arranging a cookout with fish on the grill... and perhaps, if we're lucky... permission to take him to the Wisconsin River with the Grandkids to at least be part of the experience. There are a lot of logistics involved with transferring him to a respite facility near the river, so those details are being investigated. I hope we can pull it off. But if not this year, next year for sure.

BTW He learned the grilling technique from some folks in the Dakotas, (perhaps on this board?) when they were walleye fishing there. I handed over the chef's hat ever since he learned the secret of butter, foil, beau monde, lemon pepper and lawry's seasoned salt!

You all may remember him posting a picture from the newspaper of him and his granddaughter with some rather large smallies. It is quite an event and means a lot to him and to us.

That's the update for now. I'm off to investigate the YMCA aquatic center and see what it would take to get him some aqua- or hydro- therapy, because he used to love swimming so much.

Thanks for all the wishes and I'll keep you updated.

Brad
Posted By: Chris Schotz Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 08/02/08 01:41 AM
Roy/Brad,
Thanks for the update. I sure you can get Roy out fishing, I know he looked forward to it with the grandkids. I think he enjoyed that more than being with the gang in Las Vegas! I sure do miss Roy's reports. I'm glad to see there is improvements, a slow process, but well on the way to recovery. You'll be up and running before you know it.
Chris
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 08/03/08 02:19 AM
Roy/Brad-
Thanks for the update...We're all waiting patiently for Roy's return to the board...-Doug
Posted By: Montana Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 08/06/08 05:30 PM
Good news is always welcome. Keep us posted. Sounds as though Roy has a good support staff there.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 08/21/08 03:06 PM
We hope to hear from Roy, soon. Our prayers are still going out to him for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: Norm Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 09/03/08 06:36 PM
Still thinking of you Roy.
Posted By: brad eckrose Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 09/03/08 06:58 PM
All,

It's been about a week since I've been to visit Roy. He is in good spirits and is getting more use out of his leg. Still not great progress with his arm yet, but it seemed a little less painful when I saw him last.

Speech recovery has slowed somewhat, but it's a very interesting process to communicate. It's a mixture of animal/vegetable/mineral mixed with 20 questions, mixed with understanding the parts of speech, mixed with reading body language. So you figure out if he's trying to make a statement, ask a question, or raise a topic. Then you try to narrow in on the subject, (person, place or thing) then predicate if it's a statement or query if it's a question. Lot's of waving you off the wrong path down the tree and a lot of trial and error, but with persistence and patience, it works--even if you have to let an idea rest a while and come back to it later.

I'm updating you from Rhinelander, WI, site of our annual family fishing tournament for smallies, the name of which he invented:
WFELDWSMBFT. I'll let you all ponder that! (hint: SMB= smallmouth bass).

The immediate-family consensus was that Roy was not able to make the trip up here at this time, and his son and his family could not join us, either. But my dad, brother, and I are up here carrying on as usual.

You can read about it all here if you want: http://gnasdls.blogspot.com/

Roy also invented the acronym for GNASDLS, come to think of it.

The next big event is October hunting, also named by Roy, the "Bonasa Blast", so hopefully we'll get him out for a drive in the fall colors and see some "road birds", before the bleak Wisconsin November weather sends us inside.

Wish I had more "progress" to report, but it is slow going and steady. You don't see it so much day-to-day, but week-to-week, he has a little more movement, and a little more vocabulary.

We'll have to see if he's up to viewing the auctions again soon. I downloaded the RIA stuff and looked at the catalogs online and I don't know how he correlated all the data for you guys. It looks like a lot of work!

Anyway, any of you ever seen any woodshop jigs or workbenches for handicapped folks? I don't know if he could ever checker anything with his left hand, but, it may be worth a shot just to handle some nicely grained wood again.

Still a long way to go, I know.

Brad
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 09/04/08 12:10 PM
To hear he is still hanging in there and trying is great news to me.I just found a crate of twenty new Nitro Specials in .410 still in the box with tags all 30" barrels and stright stocks. I figure I'll cut the barrels to 18 1/2" and make cowboy guns for the junior class of SASS members.Gave fifty a piece for em and should be able to get $150 once they are fit for cowboy shooting. God Bless you Roy and God Speed
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 09/05/08 01:33 PM
I don't know Roy from Adam, but it sounds like he has good people looking out for him.

Best of luck with the smallies.
Brent
Posted By: King Brown Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 09/29/08 01:02 PM
Brad, is Roy interested in the election? That would get the juices jangling!
Posted By: brad eckrose Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 10/05/08 03:28 PM
As far as the election, I believe he's not allowed to vote while he's under guardianship, but I'm not positive.

I haven't been to visit him since mid-September, but I'm sure he would be quite amused at the whole trillion-dollar banking crisis and bailout. Nothing like piling more government on top of bad government to raise his blood pressure!

As far as a general update, his medications were adjusted to account for pain and depression and that really helped a lot. He looks like the old Roy, except for the speech and paralysis. Also, having a fairly regimented diet and no smoking has got his weight under control and his color is much better. If you didn't know better, he looks much healthier.

I showed him my new Dremel Stylus tool and some rudimentary things I did with it (I am no artisan or even craftsman; I originally got it to see what it would do to a pumpkin!), but he was very supportive and he examined the tool with great interest and made a few cuts in some scrap wood. Can't quite tell if he'd be interested in working with wood in such a limited capacity. He was such an artisan when it came to gunstocks and checkering.

You know, I don't know how much work he has done for all you, but it would be kind of cool to get pictures and a create a photo gallery.

This weekend would have been his usual gunshow where he's had a table for the last umpty-leven years. I imagine he's feeling the blues about missing that.

Next week is the usual Fall P-bird hunt. He'll be missing that too. He is sorely missed in September and October, so it is not a good couple months for US (as if THAT mattered).

On a brighter note, his leg is strengthening and he is walking with much less pain, although not very far and with assistance of course. But still I never expected him to stand out of the chair, much less walk. So that is something we are all hugely thankful for. The arm has recovered less than the leg, but I guess that's normal for strokes. He's working like heck on communication, too. So, we keep encouraging him and take every small bit of progress as something to celebrate.

--Brad
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 10/05/08 07:45 PM
Thats great the Roy is still fighting and trying to make it happen.God Bless ya'll and keep giveing him the support that is so important at times like these.
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 10/06/08 03:05 AM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 10/24/08 10:59 PM
Roy we are still pulling for you. You and your family are in our prayers. Jon
Another quick update. Here's a link to a photo of Roy, my dad, and me having a tailgate party at "the manor". Packers lost a heartbreaker though. (photo credit to my brother who never is any pictures because he's got the good camera!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blekrospix/3001989905/

On the subject of Lefevers, Roy noticed that one of the screws on my 16ga Lefever Nitro buttstock plate was not original and through various hand signs, nods and gestures "suggested" that I should have search for the correct screw. Anybody have any Lefever 16ga buttplate screws or know where I can get 'em?

Thanks,

Brad

Great picture of Roy. Brad thanks for sharing. Roy, keep fighting! Your getting better each day.
Chris
Posted By: Pete Re: Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 11/12/08 05:20 PM
Folks I know who have gone through this take about a year for recovery. It is a long time, but the recovery is worth the wait. Best to Roy and family.

Pete
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 11/17/08 04:52 PM
Thanks for the pic,Roy looks to be enjoying himself and that is great.I have some butt platte screws but no idea if they are right for Nitros.
Best to Roy and his family.
I've seen Roy a couple of times since the holidays, and he's doing well. We haven't been on-line in a while though.

He's learned to say "Happy New Year" and we've heard a couple of new phrases that come out almost accidentally. He signed some Christmas cards, too. He's doing pretty well health-wise, too. Some setbacks with those paralyzed limbs once in a while, but nothing out of the ordinary, from what I'm told and what I've read.

So is anybody going to the Vegas show? Or did that happen already? I know he'd enjoy a picture from there if anyone has taken any. It's a long winter in Wisconsin, and we got him a photo frame and loaded a couple SD cards. There's room for more if you've got any interesting pictures.
Brad, just bought a trigger guard screw from the Numrich Arms online site, all original and they have alot of other parts for Nitro specials.
And give Mr. Roy our best, he always carried himself here on this Board as a Gentleman and a Scholar!!!
Thanks, I'll check out Numrich Arms.

I'll give Roy the message.
Brad,

In the March issue of the Lefever Arms Collectors Association newsletter there will be a snapshot of some of the Lefever entusiasts at the January 2009 Vegas show, as well as a short write-up. Roy will know the names and faces. I hope he enjoys the newsletter and the Vegas write-up.

Rich
Posted By: DrBob Re: Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 02/14/09 08:17 AM
I met Roy last year in Las Vegas and provided some of the photos Rich refers to above. I, too, wish Roy the best of health and luck with his recovery. I hope that he sees that his well wishers have generated 9+ pages of good wishes for this wonderful fellow.
Posted By: Montana Re: Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 04/20/09 12:42 PM
Hope Roy is enjoying the spring weather...even the rain is better than snow.
Spring was cold and seemingly unending in Wisconsin... until last week!

And today is sizing up to be the hottest day of the year so far.

I haven't been over to see Roy since Memorial Day, so I don't have a lot of current updates.

He's back home and enjoying the Brewer's season. A lot of busy effort went in to getting the ramp built and the house ready for wheelchair accessibility.

He's taken a few steps and he's enjoyed visits with the local family and visiting grandkids.

I sent a lot of data to the LACA people that he was keeping track of, so hopefully someone will be able to pickup the archiving duties.

I hope to get over there this weekend and I'll post an update then.

Brad
Posted By: DrBob Re: Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 06/27/09 04:00 AM
Brad,
I am glad to hear Roy is making some progress. Give him regards from all of his friends at the LACA.
You mentioned sending some of Roys stuff to the LACA. However, Rich Brewster who was the RP up to the last issue, nor me who is taking over for Rich, are aware of any material.
We are working on upgrading the fine work that Roy did to produce the CD with the old issues. Who did you send the info to?
Terrill Buffum was who I was directed to send the stuff to.
As long as I'm in the neighborhood, a quick update. I stopped to see Roy last weekend and we took a little day trip to Lake Kegonsa State Park, "The Keg", it was a bit too windy to fish off the accessible piers there, but we had a good time and rigged up a telescoping "cane" pole to try out a little longer next time. We did learn that the railings on the pier are a bit high to manipulate a rod with one hand from a wheelchair though!

Had a nice stroll and roll on the paved trail along the dog-beach and people-beach. Also did a bit of "drive by" exploring along the Rock River and Yahara River out in the country. It was a nice long and relaxed summer outing.

There are some immediate-family activities on the agenda for the Fourth and I may head back over there later in the weekend to catch up with my cousins and their munchkins.

Unfortunately, McMiller shooting range is closed for the Holiday, otherwise, I'd like to take him out there and amuse him with my inability to powder clays at the trap range. It's a nice, friendly, gun-oriented environment, with a huge great-room to inspect our Lefevers and have lunch.

All for now. I'll see if I can find some pictures to post,

Brad
Posted By: DrBob Re: Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 08/16/09 04:35 AM
Brad, there is a PM for you.
Hello,

Been a while since I posted an update. Roy is enjoying the holiday season and he has a new i/Pad and email address to go with it. We'll be setting it up with Skype and Facetime and other apps over the holiday and seeing how well he can navigate with it. If you'd like to say hello, PM me and I'll give you some new contact info.

He's still not able to walk or speak, but he seems to read pretty well and enjoys the updates from the real world. If any of you know any apps or resources for iPad that might be of interest to a stroke victim, please pass them along. Also, if those of you who maintain websites are able to make them "mobile-friendly", we'll create some shortcuts on his home screen to go directly to the websites in the IPAD browser.

--Brad
Brad, I'm so glad to hear that Roy is still with us. Can't help you on the techie side, though. I and many others will look forward to hearing from him.
I sure miss his auction reports
Merry Christmas to the Eckrose family and a Happy New Year<
Mikey
Posted By: eightbore Re: Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 12/24/12 12:51 AM
Roy, congratulations on still being here. I am not a techie, so I can't help you, but I am confident someone else can. I can't get "around" either, so I kind of know what you are going through. I hope you start posting here again. Bill Murphy in MD
Hello Roy,
My best regards. Still working on the Lefever articles. Sent one on the Model 4 to the DGJ a few weeks ago.
Later, Walt
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 12/24/12 03:04 AM
I miss your post and am glad to hear that you are hanging in there. Will keep you and your family in our prayers.
Posted By: DrBob Re: Roy Eckrose - stroke recovery updates - 12/24/12 03:27 AM
Glad to hear the Lefever Arms Collector Association Hall of Fame member Roy is hanging in there.
Technology certainly has advantages. We hope to be able to allow Roy to "attend" our annual meeting at the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show in Las Vegas next month via the internet.
That is great news!!!

May God bless him!! smile
Walt,

I showed him this post yesterday and he seemed to remember you. I asked him if he'd like to see your article and it seemed like he very much would like to read it. I must confess that I've let my DGJ subscription lapse some years ago, as it was Roy's enthusiasm and stock work that kept me enthralled with the subject of checkering and Lefever doubles in the first place.

If you know which issue the article will appear in, I can order it and make sure he sees it. If you have a copyrighted digital copy, I can give you his email address if you want to send it straight to him-- just drop me a PM. Or if you'd rather send him a personal note and an "autographed copy" when it is published, I can give you a mailing address.

The winters are long in Wisconsin and I'm sure he'd appreciate a good read about his favorite subject.

Brad
Posted By: brad eckrose Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 01/11/22 11:03 PM
I just wanted to let Roy's old Lefever comrades know of his passing on December 10, 2021. The Lefever side-by-sides and custom stock-making and checkering were his passions.

-Brad
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 01/11/22 11:52 PM
Terribly sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Roy.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 01/12/22 06:03 AM
Brad, very sorry for your loss. He endured a lot and now is at peace. I hope his family is as well. Will say a prayer for both. Jon
Posted By: keith Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 01/12/22 08:43 AM
My condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 01/12/22 12:30 PM
Please accept my most sincere condolences.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 01/12/22 12:44 PM
Thanks for the notice, Brad. So sorry for your loss.

SRH
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Im saddened to tell you this... - 01/12/22 04:27 PM
Roy was quite a gentleman and craftsman, beside having a most unusual business of testing airplane runways all over the continent. He did several repairs and restorations for me, some of which I feared might be lost causes. For 10 years or more he fought a debilitating stroke that limited him in many ways. Bless him and his family and friends.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com