doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gomiata How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 11:27 AM
How many guns is enough? What would you consider a good collection for upland hunting?
Posted By: JimfromTrafalgar Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 11:43 AM
The NEED for GUNS
" AS a practical matter, the average shooter with somewhere between two and six shotguns, depending on the gauge mix, has enough. Anybody ought to be happy with a couple, a few, or several. Other than that, it is not possible to have enough shotguns, and it is not desireable to have enough, since you then might not have any more. Conversely, it is desireable to have too many shotguns, but it is not possible to have too many. By definition, too many shotguns is not enough, less than enough is not too many, and enough are way too few."

This has been posted here in the past. As far as I know it is from an anonymous source, but I deem it quite accurate.
Jim
Posted By: ohiosam Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: gomiata
How many guns is enough?

Just a few more
Posted By: King Brown Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 01:05 PM
Possessions are a burden, generally. How many cameras, cars, aircraft, fishing rods, reels, outboard motors etc do we need? Two go-to guns are all I need, a 20 and a 12. That's enough. It reflects my age. I'm winnowing the others now.
Posted By: gunut Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 01:09 PM
Well thats just disgusting...what kind of example are you setting for the young?!....
Posted By: KY Jon Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 01:33 PM
You will find that as you age your needs change. A few get to the point that they want as few things about them as possible and learn to use what they have to get by. Some find that change adds spice to their life. It is personal. I like a lot of different guns and many never get shot or hunted from year to year. I am their keeper as much as their owner.

If you like to shoot different guns and do not get stuck on one gun for everything, then your check book is your only limit. Just make sure that the gun value is written down and the way to dispose of your collection is written down as well. I have seen more than one collection bought for a pennies on the dollar because those who inherited the stuff had no interest or idea of the true value. You owe it to your family that if they do not want your guns to help them get as much money out of them as you can after you die. That way they can use the money to have fun just like you did and hopefully pass the money or fun on to others.

The desire for one bow and one arrow is a Canadian thing I hope. I am not that far behind King in years. If it is an age thing and if I feel the need to get down to just one or two guns, I hope that my doctor can treat me for the disease, in time.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 01:33 PM
Concider that most folks in the world get by with none.For a hunter shooter one is a must. I believe most when they look back through life find that many of their best times in the field were with their cheapest guns,their first.Haveing moor than one tie is a waste in my book but many pairs of boots are needed,some need lots of ties and one pair of boots.I have had a hundred shotguns at one time and now get by just fine with one. no matter how many guns you have you will have one gun you use 90% of the time and would work for the other 10%.If you hunt and shoot sporting trap and skeet four guns would probably be nice but with choke tubes one gun will do it all unless you are serious and shooting for brass.
I shot a cylinder choked gun for many years both in the field and on the range and it never failed me but with trap did stick to 16yd but found nothing in sporting i couldn't hit doing my part.I passed on 50yd crossing phesant and let doves come in abit more but ducks fell in the decoys and those were fun years. When I shot for brass and to try to impress I used two guns a two barrel trapgun,unsingle and O/U and a sporting gun with tubes that worked for fun skeet that I never got serious about.
When someone comes over and you show your guns you can pull out one and say this is my baby or you can pull out twenty and then for the final gun pull out your baby. "To many guns is when your family goes without so you can have one more"
Posted By: B Frech Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 01:34 PM
A general rule of thumb is "If you know how many you have, you don't have enough". I lived by this rule for several years, but find the older I get, the more I can be happy with fewer. Occasionally I will give one I rarely use to a younger person who shows a genuine interest in shooting, hunting and doubles, but is not in a position to lay out the $ to buy one. For me, it's kind of like planting trees with seeds I won't ever use myself. It's rewarding to watch them grow. Bill Frech
Posted By: Snipe Hunter Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 02:14 PM
I could easily get by with two. One would have to be a 12 gauge waterfowl gun and it would be an auto. I'd have a hard time choosing what the other would be. It would get used for 90% of my shooting. It would be a double choked around IC in the right barrel and mod or tighter in the left. I wouldn't want to carry the bulk of a twelve and the puny four-ten would be out of the question. I love the twenty-eight but there are times when the birds I hunt are wild and it isn't enough gun. That leaves the twenty and sixteen. I currently have about the same number of each but if I had to choose one it would be the twenty. Wait, I'd like to change my answer to four guns.

Skip
Posted By: gunut Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 03:15 PM
youd have to ask your wife or if in Kalifornia your significant other?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 03:18 PM
You can easily accumulate "too many" if you don't set some limits to what you are interested in. For myself, as a hunter I NEED only a Remington 11-87 12ga for ducks & turkey, a .22, a Ruger #1 .270 for deer and a Browning 20 O/U for upland.

As a collector, I've tried to set my LIMIT at the best example of all the American classics I can afford and I'm slowly moving from the field grades to the low-grades. As I find a better L.C. or Ithaca or Parker or Fox or Lefever, I try to trade or sell off the gun it replaces. Well, except for Lefevers; I'm keeping every one of those that come my way...Geo
Posted By: DRM Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 03:57 PM
How many guns is enough?

Did your wife make make you ask that question to prove to you that you are over the universally recognized limit? or Did you ask the question to prove to her that she should consider herself lucky?

I know a guy who now buys only high grade Parker's and I asked him one time how many he has. His answer was something like in the order of 50-60 feet worth (that means racked vertically side by side on the walls around his den). He does admit as well to having been divorced three times.
Posted By: Chicago Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 04:03 PM
I only use two, a 16 for grouse, woodcock and quail and a 12 for pheasant. My gun case holds six and I have more than that.

A good friend of mine always says "I don't know how many guns I have but I know I need one more".
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 04:06 PM
"Never underestimate the shooting skill of a man who owns but one gun".

We would all be better off if we could heed this. But, it is hard.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Ian Nixon Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 08:01 PM
If you're outta room for more gun safes, and your safes are chock-a-block full with the guns stacked cheek-to-jowl, if they are scratching/marring their neighbours.....
you've got too many.
Posted By: eightbore Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 08:07 PM
OK, I won't underestimate the shooting skill of a man who owns only one gun, but I will put my money on the guy who owns a hundred in a shooting contest. I, personally, will shoot for money against any man who owns only one gun. In my opinion, owning and shooting only one gun is highly overrated.
Posted By: Timothy S Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 08:43 PM
How many guns is enough? What would you consider a good collection for upland hunting?

First of all how many guns is enough part of the question. I would say one. A nice 16 bore that can handle both upland and phez. And the second part of the question, for a good collection, I would say 12 to 15 guns so you could cover examples from the US companies and also some from England and Europe. The problem with this idea is that once we start gathering our little collection together, it is very hard to stop.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 08:53 PM
Can't say I know how many is too many, not even for my own purposes. I have all my needs covered with four guns in 12ga, two 20s and one 16ga to which have been added then subtracted a couple other 20ga guns, a 10ga 2 7/8", and a 28ga. Now I am sort of inspired to play with a .410 double for some reason but haven't found one I like yet. Will it come and go, displace one of the four, or increase the count permanetly - I don't know. One thing is certain if I don't use it, it will not stay as I am not a collector.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 09:04 PM
Dean, your thrice divorced Parker owning pal "Has his priorities right" to paraphrase Kipling: "A woman is only a woman, but a good shotgun is a: Purdey, Boss, Parker etc." How many guns is enuf?_ I think there will always be "One" favorite-for me, and yes, sometimes sentiment enters the picture- My favorite shotgun is my late Dad's older Tournament Grade Model 12 30 inch Full solid rib- checkered buttstock-- fits me like an Armani suit on a "Wise-Guy" and I kill birds consistently with it-Now- I am strictly a waterfowler and pheasant hunter-(in MI. and I hunt in SD and MT too) and in off-seasons shoot crows ( with decoys and also a Johnny Stewart caller, and barn pigeons) There are two things that govern my choice here- I'm in my mid-60's but still have 20/15 distance vision and this is truly a "God given gift" I_have always worn safety or shooting glasses afield-but my reflexes show my age-I am still in good physical shape, my hearing is going South-so open bored guns- not any more-most birds I flush and kill are at a distance. I read in one of Gene Hill's books that he had shot a Boss 16 Over/Under and a Woodward 20-but Gene also liked side-by-sides. So, how many is too many? I can't say- went through the Phil B. Field & Stream Top 50 Shotguns article- If I could pick Four of the 50 he listed to do all of my clays, bird hunting (including dove and quail) duck and goose hunting, box pigeons shooting with- but no duplicates: The 12 bore Purdey shown with 30 inch barrels DT front hinged, choked Mod. and Imp. Mod (his No. 1 pick), the 20 bore Italian Over/Under with 28 barrels choked Imp. Cyl. and Mod.(his No. 4 pick) the Win. Model 12- in the 3" Magnum duck model 30 inch Solid Rib choked Mod. (for steel shot today-his no. 7 pick) and the Perrazi O/U 12 bore for clays and live birds 32" barrels choked Mod. and Full (no choke tubes) (his no. 30 I believe). With those four "escopetas" in the gauges 12 and one in 20-so that ammo is most readily available (and affordable- that's why I excluded the 16 and 28 gauges herein) and assuming they fit me, I believe I could handle all my upland bird shooting, waterfowling and both sporting clays and live pigeons- I said if $ is no object-a nice collection of fine Parkers and Foxes and Smiths and LeFevers and Ithacas would just be "frosting on the cake"-Paul A, Curtis in 1934 "Guns and Gunning" wrote about the "All around battery" added the note that in some cases, too many guns can become a burden-we can only shoot one at a time- and the late Rudy Etchen was a "living legend" with a Rem 870!! RWTF
Posted By: cadet Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 09:07 PM
All of my hunting and shooting needs can be covered with a modest battery of 3-4 working guns and rifles. But I want (and have) a lot more. Too many is when I don't know exactly what I have. If I don't know I own it, how can I appreciate it and deserve to own it?
If I can't regularly appreciate and understand them well in the field or on the range, or at least in the hands, then someone else who has the time and opportunity to care for and use it deserves it more than me.
But then what does "appreciating" really mean for a fine old gun?
RG
Posted By: Dave K Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 09:23 PM
Don't worry Obama will clear out our safes and then the question will be "Whats the best way to protect them when you bury them in the yard?"
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/22/08 11:44 PM
I shoot three sxs these days, just enough so that each one gets it's rightful attention in the field and by the fireside.
Two handsome rimfire rifles which see the most of the great outdoors.
Posted By: jerry6stl Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 12:41 AM

I wouldn't propose to tell anyone else how many guns he/she should own. But I can offer a thought...

Since I now collect social security, I am in the process of reducing the number that I own. Especially the ones I haven't used in the past five years. The question then becomes "Which favorites to keep?"

It was great fun accumulating them all, but now it is time to pass some on to new owners/caretakers. My widow shouldn't have the bother of disposing them at some future date (hopefully not soon).

JERRY
Posted By: leo toralballa Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 01:57 AM
Is this one of those Jeff Foxworthy type questions?

You may have too many guns if......

"You keep saying, "I had no idea I owned that Purdey (Ithaca, RBL28, 870, etc)"

Some of the game your guns were made for have now gone extinct.

You have near duplicates differing only by obscure differences in the safeties, trigger guard, engraving, your pick.
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 03:12 AM
I don't know how many, is too many. I don't have them all yet.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 05:11 AM
I can't say I've got too many guns, I've got quite a few but most of them see action at least a few times a year.

My old 32 inch Parker DHE is out and about the most of any of them though. I'm taking it to Argentina next month actually.

Destry
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 10:39 AM
I don't know what would constitute "too many". I do know I'm one short of "enough".

Sam
Posted By: eightbore Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 12:25 PM
I have a few too many semi automatics, two or three too many over unders, about the right number of pump guns (give or take a couple of dozen), a few short of enough single barrels, and nowhere near enough side by sides, especially eights and .410s. I haven't decided how many hammer guns I need, but I suspect I'm a bit short on those also. Murphy
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 01:37 PM
gunut hit the nail on the head. Your wife will let you know when you have had enough if she starts taking tabs on them. We bachelors know who rules the roost in YOUR house and who wears the pants in your family. So you better keep her in the dark about them.
Posted By: Theprofessional Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 02:47 PM
Is there such a thing as too many?
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 05:34 PM
Long live the old bachelors, we can have as many guns as we want!!!!

Regards,
Destry aka Single and Loving It
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/23/08 06:25 PM
Amen to that Brother- and you "Old Bacheldors" have the time and means to take care of them, those of us that have faced a divorce court know only too well your great good fortune- My late Maternal Grandfather Sean never let my Grandmother know what his "toys" cost him, how much he won or lost using them in live bird rings- and he didn't let her vote for old Warren G. in 1920 either- To hell with Steinham and Freidan and "Hillary C." ERA means EARNED RUN AVERAGE- well said Sir -deserves another Cuesta Rey!!
Posted By: LGF Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/24/08 09:56 AM
In his illustrious political career, Senator Phil Gramm of Texas rarely said much I agreed with, but he lives forever in my heart with: "I own far more guns than I need but not nearly as many as I want".
Posted By: LGF Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/24/08 09:57 AM
In his illustrious political career, Senator Phil Gramm of Texas rarely said much I agreed with, but he lives forever in my heart with: "I own far more guns than I need but not nearly as many as I want".
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/24/08 12:46 PM
Funny thing some have talked about the wives knowing the number of guns you have. Actually, my wife doesn't care how many I have. She knows I enjoy them and when I am gone, they are hers to do as she sees fit. Kind of like a savings fund, just for her, that I enjoy. Hey, it works for me!
Posted By: JayCee Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/24/08 01:01 PM
Quote:
How many guns is enough?

A gazillion?

JC
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/24/08 05:50 PM
Previous poster's have covered most of my thoughts as well. But I will say that at one time...I thought I had to have them all. In my late 20's early 30's, I had accumulated over 200 guns (hodge podge sort of collection) everything from unique rimfires with 100 round clips to 10gauge slug guns (yes I still own one of those)to military guns to etc. etc. etc..

Then I bought my first double barrel (11 years ago) and I finally realized where my heart was leading me. Slowly over the past decade I have traded out of the hodge podge collection and aquired 40+ doubles. Each one means something to me (unlike the guns I used to own). None of them are true investment grade guns. But most American guns are represented -ie. 1Parker, 2Fox, 2Remington, 1LC, 1Lefever, several Pre-war Stevens, etc.

The buying bug is essentially the same. The latest aquisition leaves you all warm and fuzzy - BUT only for a short period of time and then the hunt is on for the next treasure. I try to pass the appreciation of fine craftsmanship and quality of fine double guns to my kids. If they decide to sell them all and shoot the latest semi-auto, then so be it.

For now, Doubles seem to be better than money in the bank!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/24/08 06:15 PM
I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that I can't have every one of the guns I like...girls as well. BUT...I can still appreciate them ... both.
Posted By: Dave K Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/24/08 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that I can't have every one of the guns I like...girls as well. BUT...I can still appreciate them ... both.

Chuck,
I told my wife after we got married "just cause I on a diet doesn't mean I can't check out the menu"

still have the mark on the back of my head
Posted By: James M Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/24/08 10:44 PM
I decided I'll probably have too many guns when I can no longer close and lock the doors of my home or when I have to pole vault over stacks of them to get from one room to another.
Jim
Posted By: Chuck H Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/25/08 04:10 AM
On a less humorous note, I recently had to disperse the guns of a friend that died suddenly. I highly encourage planning ahead as much as practical to deal with this yourselves and not leave it to your widow to struggle with. 50 cents on the dollar when selling off a number of guns expeditiously is doing well.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/25/08 05:18 PM
I thought I had enough until yesterday. I promised my wife I wouldnt buy anymore, and meant it, until yesterday. I ran across a Lefever "FE" 16 that I couldnt live without, so I bought it. When my wife finds out, someone will likley be disposing of my guns, expeditiously. When the FE gets here I'll post pics...
Posted By: rgh2 Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/25/08 05:39 PM
One gun is enough. A 12 gauge, not too heavy but with 3" chambers. By adding 28 gauge tubes and loading 7/8 ounce shells your gun is a magnum 12 gauge, a regular 12 gauge, a twenty gauge and a 28 gauge. Who needs more than that? For some reason I don't fully understand I have about 30.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/26/08 09:42 AM
Nah, you've gotta have a 10 gauge for geese and swans dammit!!! *wink*

DLH
Posted By: jerry6stl Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/26/08 10:58 AM
Chuck H makes an imortant point:

"On a less humorous note, I recently had to disperse the guns of a friend that died suddenly. I highly encourage planning ahead as much as practical to deal with this yourselves and not leave it to your widow to struggle with. 50 cents on the dollar when selling off a number of guns expeditiously is doing well."

....When we turn 60+, we ought to begin to thin out our collection, and not leave the ENTIRE dispersal task to our widow and friends. Keep the ones you actually use, but sell some of those that are seldom used. Let someone else share the joy of ownership.

JERRY
Posted By: popplecop Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/26/08 11:22 AM
When It comes to SxSs, the one I buy after the next 2 or 3 Will be almost too many.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/26/08 11:23 AM
Thats a morbid thought ol'boy!
In our sixties we should know our favorites and get rid of the hangers-on.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/26/08 12:58 PM
That is exactly what I have been doing since I retired- getting rid of the ones I really don't need- the ones I bought just because I thought they were rare or "cool". I do wish I had that sk/sk 12 gauge Superposed back now that I am shooting skeet, but I made about $500.00 on it so I get to go out and buy another one, right?
Posted By: rabbit Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/26/08 09:54 PM
From "maggie4343" on the old Shotgun Sports board:

"This is a metaphysical question that has no strictly practical answer. As a practical matter, the average shooter with somewhere between two and six shotguns, depending on the gauge mix, has enough. Anybody ought to be happy with a couple, a few, or several. Other than that, it is not possible to have enough shotguns, and it is not desirable to have enough, since you then might not have any more; similarly (or is that conversely?), it is desirable to have too many shotguns, but it is not possible to have too many. By definition, too many shotguns is not enough, less than enough is not too many, and enough is (are) way too few."

jack
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/27/08 05:32 AM
My choices:
Small upland birdies: Ruger Red Label 28ga
Large upland birdies: Fox-Sterlingworth 12ga ejector
Heavy upland birdies: IG Modelo 40 12ga 3" Magnum

Light big game: Savage 99EG .300Sav
Medium to Heavy big game: CZ550 'Medium' 9.3x62
BACKUP for nasty big game: .454 Magnum revolver (with 5 rounds of 260gr Winnie 'Partition Golds')

Personal defense/carry: German-made Walther PPK 9mm 'short' stoked with Cor-Bon 90gr JHPs.

Home defense: .454 Magnum stuffed with Cor-Bon 200gr JHPs (.45Colt +P)

Life is great!
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: How many guns is too many? - 06/27/08 01:20 PM
Oops, I forgot two 'starlets' in my meager arsenal: 5&3/4lb 12 ga Remi 31 with 1oz shot @ 1100fps is my favorite carry for birdy all day piece, and HK .45 Auto is my fav 'combat' arm (std load Black Hills 230grJHP+P and Remi 230gr JHP 'Subsonic' is my fav pinkling load).
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com