doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Amigo Will Change - 08/18/08 11:58 AM
When the post about Jim being crook recived fifty more post than the passing of one of our dearest friends Bill Wize the new pattern was clear.Its seem about fifty percent of those posting for OWLEYES have left or just sneek peeks at the forum hopeing for its return to the old days of polite information and shareing of knowledge.Sure there have always been the tuff folks but we loved them,Herr Klunkermiester,Ol,Lighting,Wanko the Sane.All thats left from the first forum Texas shoot is John and Frank out of about fifteen shooters. The EEIOEIEIO group lead by Greg Taggart the Aggie seems defunk ecept for Walt holding it together.The passion of folks like John Mann trying to bring back a new gun equal to the Lindner Daly. I know a couple of Mikes that were here for a long time whos new babies we gave prase to should be ten or eleven by now. Wonder how Slate is fairing in the north country,getting ready for ducks to be sure.Don't hear from Capt Dan much and Bunker is gone along with all their Japan gun knowledge,we do still have Larry to help some thank God.To all you old timmers that have been able to hang in here God Bless and yes even you Bill S who I know it bothers some but you have to admit I've cut back.Big thanks to Dave for keeping this beast alive even though the outcome has changed some from the vision.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Change - 08/18/08 01:20 PM
I haven't been around as long as many others, Amigo. The nastiness, the uncivil tongues drive members away. I've felt like leaving many times but am drawn back by the generous, knowledgeable contributions to the board. I'll kick the addiction one of these days.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Change - 08/18/08 01:33 PM
I know what you mean, Will. Pete Hiatt is still here but doesn't post much anymore. Most of the old timers are gone. I must have come on here a few years before the old site moved here and I have enjoyed every minute of it through the years. But things change. Kinda like seeing the Superposed change to the Citori. Same gun but of a new era.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Change - 08/18/08 03:32 PM
I wish the world was still the same as when I was 8. But it's not. The world of double guns is a competitive, not cooperative arena. With the internet, it is now a worldwide competitive arena. Behavior and prices show it. Most of these sites are foyer's to the marketplace, not chatty boardrooms.

It is a mistake that people would choose to take their expertise to their graves with them.

Keep in mind, that most craftsmen share their knowledge as much for ego and marketing as friendly help. It does however become somewhat repetitious after a while, decreasing one's interest in telling the story a 10th time.
Posted By: eeb Re: Change - 08/18/08 03:56 PM
Casting aside the poltroons who air their dirty laundry in public, or the ones who post stream-of-unconsciouness drivel that has nothing remotely to do with double guns, it's a great board. I still learn something most times when I visit and my thanks are to those people who share their knowledge and to Dave for keeping it all going.
Posted By: jack maloney Re: Change - 08/18/08 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: eeb
Casting aside the poltroons who air their dirty laundry in public, or the ones who post stream-of-unconsciouness drivel that has nothing remotely to do with double guns...

What a great idea - let's do it!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Change - 08/18/08 04:55 PM
The "stream of consciousness" as well as the "dirty laundry" offenders have been eliminated from another site, a site that is regularly maligned as elitist by posters on this site. It worked like a charm. No more offenders followed them. Strange, huh? I'm with Jack Maloney, "let's do it". My good friend, Owleye, would have approved.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Change - 08/18/08 05:45 PM
The Parker board is not elitist. It serves a high standard of human values. We are corrupted to the extent that we allow primitives access to this board. We wouldn't allow them into our homes.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Change *DELETED* - 08/18/08 06:43 PM
Post deleted by Michael Petrov
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Change *DELETED* - 08/18/08 06:48 PM
Post deleted by Michael Petrov
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Change - 08/18/08 07:22 PM
My world is still basicly the same as when I was eight as I chose not to let the rest of the world effect me or my morals,standards,politeness and respect for those that do the same.
Posted By: JM Re: Change - 08/18/08 08:12 PM
I can understand the occasional heated debate or even the occasional outburst. Been there been through that on this board and on other boards related to different topics. It happens to just about everyone at some point. Disagreeing is part of human nature.

However, state your case, make your point if you must, and above all let it go! It's nothing personal. The "dirty laundry" stuff needs to go.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Change - 08/18/08 08:58 PM
Dirty laundry and cowpie fights help identify the mentally melted. The streams need damning though.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Change - 08/18/08 10:29 PM
Hombre Will, after 262 posts, I don't think you have any idea of what the old days were about.
Sorry to be the one that has to tell you this.
Btw, after 9/11 Bill Wise and I never replied to each other again.
He was very wrong on the "evil doers" of that day!
The rush to judgement turned out to be fact.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Change - 08/18/08 10:50 PM
Jimmy,

If you'd have seen some of the absolute trash Pete Hiatt posted over on the Parker Forum a few years ago you wouldn't long for his return.

Destry
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Change - 08/18/08 10:55 PM
...summer reruns. Nothing for the hunters to do but stir the pot about nothing. Boredom, with pent up energy looking for an outlet. Whatever you call it, it's at its worst around here during the summer.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Change - 08/18/08 11:04 PM
A members post count really has little to do with their standing in my eyes. One member has close to 6000 posts and has hardly ever said anything worth remembering. There's another guy that's put up well over 3000 in under 3 years and he too has said little of consequence. Yet another that celebrates his mental disorder, he thinks he's a television character, what's with that?

If some of you want in to the cult of personality there are plenty of forums for that. But if you wouldn't be tolerated in person, no need to be tolerated here.

Nuke LaLoosh: How come you don't like me?

Crash Davis: Because you don't respect yourself, which is your problem. But you don't respect the game, and that's my problem.

"You have to respect the game."
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Change - 08/18/08 11:25 PM
Rob, nothing in what you say diminishes one's guncabinet.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Change - 08/19/08 12:29 AM
Lowell, I'm not sure I'm clever enough to understand the meaning of your comment, but in case I have it right...

Men aren't judged by the contents of their gun cabinets.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Change - 08/19/08 12:53 AM
I really like 16ga.com. In fact, I may pick up that early 50s Remi 870 light 16 and join up. It has nice barrel band, "matted" plain barrel, and nice panel-type cut checkering on the wood. It's a bitter pill to gulp down, but it's a better gun than my 1949 vintage Mod. 31.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Change - 08/19/08 01:07 AM
"Change"....

I thought this thread was about that Northern Muslim/Baptist that's running for US President.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Change - 08/19/08 01:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Hombre Will, after 262 posts, I don't think you have any idea of what the old days were about.

Lowell,I think you got that one wrong. Will is an OLD hand around here...Geo
Posted By: Timothy S Re: Change - 08/19/08 01:33 AM
The thread that is running 25 pages long or so is a subject that is very near and dear to us. We are on the computers now, therefore, we are probably people that are going to be buying and selling on the net. We must be able to talk about such matters. If we can not hash it out here, where can we hash it out? I agree that we should use the same manners that we would if we were face to face with someone. Whatever names we use we must step it up, we are better than this.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Change - 08/19/08 01:47 AM
Lowell I remember when you came to this new forum we all thought you were a troll we had run off from the first forum. My first number on this forum was 14 and I have not posted for about three years,when I left I had well over three thousand post. On the first forum I was Daly and the new one Welhelm Gregor. Folks like to old Win 21 remember me. I admit you have been here quite some time Lowell but many of the old folks still believe you to be the troll we ran off years ago.God Bless
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Change - 08/19/08 01:50 AM
With all those handles you've had...could you be the troll ?
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Change - 08/19/08 02:07 AM
Rob, think all here are monks sworn to proverty?
Your clever enough to see all these glamour shots of - hey look at me and see what I got!
Pretty material, I'd say.
Posted By: Norm Re: Change - 08/19/08 02:16 AM
Will:

I'm glad you're back. I hadn't realized you were Wilhelm. Had wondered what became of you.

Lowell was on the old board too, as FH I believe. And I don't think he was run off of this board, it was the SSM one.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Change - 08/19/08 02:21 AM
WILHELM GREGOR 'n DALY you say hmmmmm!
No wonder you changed your name.
I don't get the "Amigo" part...not an ol'fart anymore?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Change - 08/19/08 02:22 AM
His cOwboy name maybe ?
Posted By: Cary Re: Change - 08/19/08 04:57 AM
Will: As I told you in a private email some time back, "Welcome home, Jarhead! You've been missed!"

Will is one of the finest, most knowledgeable persons to inhabit this board. He also one of the most humble. When a few old memories came around to haunt me, I sent Will the first of several private emails. Better advice couldn't be found.

As I said in a post when he sang his swan song, "God bless you Wilhelm Gregor."

I meant it then and I mean it now. WELCOME HOME JARHEAD!

Cary Nelson
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Change - 08/19/08 06:57 AM
All members have some value sometimes. Some have more than others. That's life. If you start deciding posting privileges based on the perceived worth of posters you will wind up like the famous BBS run by the magazine.......about ten boring posts a day....but only by the valued members, of course.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Change - 08/19/08 07:48 AM
Amigo Will and Wilhelm Gregor!! I should have known. Back then none of us had our real names. On the first board I was Don Nolan. Remember that, Will? I was afraid that since I didn't know anyone, I didn't want them to find out where I lived, so they could come and rob me. But things haven't changed that much for me. I still live in the same house that I grew up in and my parents built in 1951. And I still have the mentality of an eight year old!!
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Change - 08/19/08 12:26 PM
Cary you are special and we share alot.Yes I have tied most of the old names together but good folks are good folks no matter the name.As said buy others, post numbers mean nothing if there is no content or positive to it.Some that have helped to most post the least.Owleyes had few post but before him most called them Linder gun.Oscar had lots of real job work to do but now many are browning or blacking damascus barrels.Much like CC today he don't have to say much but listen when he talks. I remember lots of folks who wrote letters to Russian goverment to help a loved board friend years ago so we were all amigos to him.
Lowell, Amigos is what is on my back most of the time so I realy understand your Hog problem
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com