doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AmarilloMike Time to get ready for dove season - 08/18/08 11:36 PM
On another thread Chuck H wrote: "...summer reruns. Nothing for the hunters to do but stir the pot about nothing. Boredom, with pent up energy looking for an outlet. Whatever you call it, it's at its worst around here during the summer. " I started to reply to it there but decided to start a new thread instead.

Dove season starts soon. I have been getting my fat dogs back into shape by running them. Me too for that matter. Started scouting for the opening day spot for me and my buddies and family. Agonizing over which gun to take.

Talking to my Buds about their plans and what they have scouted. Started reloading - extra special loads of course. Got to get over to Riverfield's and get a license and look at the nice little used Perazzi 20 gauge that calls to me everytime I go in the store. Which reminds me I need to talk to their gunsmith about fixing a pad.

Need to get the hunting rig cleaned up and cleaned out a little. Is it time to have the oil changed? Wouldn't hurt to wash it once this year.

My fiberglass snake gators are cracking. Need to get out to Gander and pick up another pair or two. The birddog club is having snake avoidance training this weekend - have to get the two new pups in on that. And the other three retrained for that matter.

Got to call my Son and remind him to get his license. Might wash my game vest as it smells pretty gamey. Might as well drive out to WalMart and grab a half dozen cases of bottled water to get me through the season.

Lots of Eurasion dove showing up this year - no limit.

The stream of thought on this can go on and on and I am getting excited.

What are you guys doing to get ready?

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Robt. Harris Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 12:29 AM
Besides the usual stuff, I've been busy trying to locate a good field notebook and some write-in-the-rain pencils....so when things get slow in the blind, I can get in on writing some of those inane responses that will get Jim Legg over the thirty page mark! Just incredible, and what a distinction!!

But seriously, just seeing the full-body dove decoys lying around next to my 16 ga. Model 12 for the week prior has always been a favorite here. Which might suggest that I need to get out more often, eh?

Wishing you a hot corner on the opener, Mike.

Robt.
Posted By: eeb Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 12:43 AM
We usually plant sunflowers on a little bit of bottom land here, but this spring was so wet nothing could be done until late May, which was too late for sunflowers to be ready for opening day. I did millet instead and have been cutting a little bit at a time for a couple weeks, but have seen few birds. Yesterday my middle son and I were walking the edge of the field and flushed a nice covey of bobwhites. That was better than seeing a field full of doves. For me waiting for dove season is like waiting for Christmas. I'm using the Parker D2 hammergun. Here's hoping everyone gets their limits.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 12:49 AM
I have been loading 28 guage shells, got 3 2 lb coffee cans ready to go. Shot up my rejects this afternnon, did pretty well. We seem to have a LOT of doves this year, including a few of those funny ones. They, for some reason, seem to stick close to town, so may have to shoot a few in the Co-op yard. We always do a BBQ on the opener, sometimes 30-40 of the local farmers show, drink some beer, tell some lies. My old hunting partner comes over, he will be 82 this year. Gotta savor all the time he has left. Its a good time of the year....Prairie grouse in Nebraska open on the 13th, so am really looking forward to that. Mike you best get Joe Wood to help you sharpen up, so's you dont embarass yourself..
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 12:57 AM
I'm heading home to Southern Illinois for the opener. We're invited to shoot on a friend of my Father's farm, he actually manages the place for doves and holds an amazing amount of birds.

Got to call Grandpa and make sure he's coming along. He turned 90 this summer, when I talked to him on his (and my) birthday he said he was keen to go. He had his eyes worked on back in the spring and doesn't even need glasses now so I'm anxious to see his shooting improve.

As far as getting ready, I've got the dove stool out, gone over my cartridges. Need to wash the old short sleeve camo shirt and sew a hole up in my khaki shooting pants.

For a gun I think I'm going to take the family Stevens 311 this year. Grandpa has it's mate in 20 gauge (marked JC Higgins) so it only seems right to take them both out together.

Hopefully will be able to stay home an extra day and make a squirrel hunt with an old friend.

If I said any of this in another thread please excuse the repeat, I'm still recovering from a hang over.

Destry
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 01:09 AM
I've got a couple hundred 12 ga. black powder shells loaded...I guess I'm ready to smoke some doves.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 01:15 AM
Well, I believe in staying relaxed before the games (been watching the Olympics) so I've been doing a lot of trout fishing and sleeping. Reloaded a bunch of shells a few months ago and don't want to shoot them and have to reload more so haven't been to the gun club much. Sure haven't developed a flinch while catching all those trout.
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 01:15 AM
The 14ga. SXS Ml'er is ready and so am I. Been doing the same as some of you folks. Scouting the area for the best fields and finding some that will be great.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 01:28 AM
Down to one gun so that choice is easy. This will be the first time in three years that my mind is right to hunt again. Still have about five flats of AA Feather lites and I will just sit behind the barn in the shade.The doves watering on the other side of the barn get a free pass.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 01:42 AM
I've been walking a couple of miles every night since June and shooting two rounds of 5-stand every weekend this summer. Someone gave me a 1908 Ithaca Flues 12ga last Spring and I intend to shoot it opening weekend. I ordered a flat of RSTs this morning and I'm 'bout ready to go...Geo
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 01:49 AM
I have about 7 flats of 16 gauge one ounce loads, which I'll shoot in my Austrian hammergun. Cannot wait.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 02:13 AM
These are my dove dogs. They are not as good of retrievers as labs but not bad. All are French Brittanys.

Dubya - 4 year old, 46 pounds, retrieves to hand. He actually belongs to my 27 year old son but has been "staying" at my house for two years:

This is Mollie. 18 months, 28lbs, retrieves to hand:

Belle - 5 months old about 20 pounds:

Red - Belle's litter mate, 25 pounds:

Best,

Mike
Posted By: coloradopaul Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 02:15 AM
Lets see…. Lunch today with a client that is going to let me do opening day on his property. It’s forty-five minutes from my place in Denver, has about a mile of creek, a small pond and lots of cottonwoods. Lots of birds too. I’m a VERY lucky fellow this year. It doesn’t get much better than this living smack dab in the center of Denver. I bought lunch! I’m taking a buddy who has never shot dove before and who is a much better shot than me.

The following weekend it is my annual trip to the San Luis Valley for dove. A friend owns an organic farm down there and he lets me hunt. A long drive, not a whole lot of birds, but the sunrise over Sand Dunes National Monument is worth the trip. I’ve already loaded up 75 fiber-wad, bismuth shells to keep it all bio-friendly, as requested.

Lets see some photos when the time comes.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 02:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Sure haven't developed a flinch while catching all those trout.

Haven't developed much people skills either.
Posted By: chux Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 02:17 AM
Why only take 1 gun! I am taking 3, they of course will all have a turn. Taking a vacation, will be fly fishing in North Georgia, coming home the day before dove season, cant wait!
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 02:35 AM
Having been antagonized by the little buggers every week while shooting skeet and trap, I'm ready to exact my revenge. Hard to focus on clay birds when you have live ones flying down your barrel to gravel in the parking lot right behind you!! Lord knows I'm ready having shot a boat load of shells this year.Northeast Oklahoma dove populations are generally spotty. Out west is where the real numbers are.
Posted By: M&M Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 02:51 AM
Checked with my hunting buddy last week about a flyway we hunt. Lots of birds, 90%+ white wings. High, fast, but plenty of shooting. Plenty shells lined up. My 16 ga. model 21 has been fitted to me. A very informal pasture shoot this weekend to warm up. Life is good.

We did get a flood today, which we needed badly. Guess I'll wait to see how, if any it affected the birds.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 04:32 AM
'been shootin clays pretty reglar on the Satardays. 'Thinkin bout heddin down to to the Tejas panhandle to see if I kin outfit miself on stuff layin aboot in the fields. I hear theres all kina stuff Texans drop out there huntin. Trainin the Lab to find and pickup huntin gear.

Probly take my gun "Angie" along. 'works for 'tractin hunters to gain intel for findin hotspots of lost gear.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 06:35 AM
Good looking britts Amarillomike.

Here are some pictures of mine when I first got him...
http://www.beeslife.com/adam/rusty%20points%20005.jpg
http://www.beeslife.com/adam/dog%20pics%20002.jpg
Here's him now...
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z84/dovehunter92/NEWCAMERAPICS029.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z84/dovehunter92/NEWCAMERAPICS028.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z84/dovehunter92/NEWCAMERAPICS148.jpg

I want my next Britt to be liver and white.

I have been here in Houston, TX for about a month and a half. I'll be here for about another month. So unfortunately I have no idea how things are going back home in Alabama. Although, in the Southeast Alabama, the season does not start until Oct.... the rest of the state starts in Sept.... like everyone else in the country. So I will be home in time for the opener. I may end up driving to the Montgomery area to get in on some shooting a little early.

But I have heard great things about the dove shoots in Texas. Anybody know of anything going on close to Houston. I would be willing to pay up to $100 or so.

Thanks

Adam
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 07:00 AM
Just sighted in the scope on my pellet gun. The doves are starting to gather around the bottom of the upside down bird feeder, picking up all of the hulls of the niger seeds left by the Goldfinches. It shouldn't be too hard to pick them off, setting the pellet gun in a gun rest and shooting off their heads. Dinner every night for the next few months and spending the winter without dozens of doves sitting on my deck and pooping all over the place. So stop on over guys. All that is required is a gun and a cold six pack of Heineken. Cigars optional.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 07:03 AM
Pretty dogs, Mike. I grew up with a Springer and a Party Cocker when I was young. Great dogs.
Posted By: KMcMichael Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 12:06 PM
I am almost ready. I will continue to shoot old style skeet with my 12 ga Arrieta and 7/8 oz loads until September. My Draathar is one year old and this will be her first outing.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 12:39 PM
Adam S there will be lots of day hunts listed in the paper. Most well probably be towards Liberty or Magnolia area. RocDoc may no of a plase closer. I'll give a shout here if I find something bigger with birds.
Post deleted by Run With The Fox
Mike,
Your mention of the Eurasian doves made me think about an area in NM near Portales where I hunt each year. They have almost completely taken over down there. This year during the long NM 4 day pheasant season, my brother and I plan to hunt phez in the morning and Eurasian Collared doves all afternoon. Incidentally, my brother is also in Amarillo. PM me and I will provide you the information and perhaps the two of you and ultimately the three of us will link up for a hunt somewhere.
I have to get batteries for the Flock. An Air dove and two Mojo doves. I never would have believed a dove would come to a decoy the way they do.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/19/08 10:14 PM
I shot dove over decoys in a field last yr during the late season. Worked so good I could hardly believe it.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/20/08 01:31 AM
Chuck that story Joe tells about me dropping stuff all the time is a big lie.

Adam you have a nice looking dog too!

Thanks Jimmy.

Perry that sounds like fun. Did you find the Eurasians in the fields or flying out of town?

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Jack Ward Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/20/08 02:38 AM
I'll be out behind the dairy on the edge of the pecan orchards in the lower Rio Grande Valley of New Mexico, as is my custom. I'm using the P. Webley and Son (1892) with Federal Vintage ammo. Did a little minor repair work on her over the winter and she's fit as a fiddle now. Mourners and Whitewings and Eurasians. We have lots of tiny Inca doves around the house, but I've never shot one. I think I'll give the Webley a good waxing. Thorney, what's that you wax your Beesley with? I'd like give it a try. --Jack Ward
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/20/08 01:03 PM
Mike
Are you just trying to keep me from finding your 'hot spots'?
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/20/08 02:49 PM
I had the best opening day ever 14 yrs. ago when I hunted over a lowly milo field between Alvin, Tx and Santa Fe, Tx that day. I have been hooked ever since. The guns are cleaned and oiled and I'll be taking my newly acquired LC Smith #3 grade out to knock them down. The fields of recently harvested corn here in Red River Co.,Tx hold lots of birds. Happy shooting to you all.

RedofTx
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/20/08 03:08 PM
Milo,soybean and rice oh my.
Found them in the fields Mike. We hunt about 15 miles or so southeast of Portales in the Arch Community. It is a special hunt they have been staging for almost 20 years now to raise money for their community and church. Yeah, the birds are released each night before the days hunt, but they still taste just as good and the food served at the community center for breakfast and lunch is hard to beat anywhere.
Posted By: David Hamilton Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/20/08 09:07 PM
I'm loading my 2 5/8" brass shells for my old Parker hammer 10 bore with black power. I only have 50 shells so they get recycled often. The doves around here have moved off so I'll be going further afield. We used to have Quail around here but the only quail these days are released! I've been thinking about habitat restoration but it is a big job to establish the native grasses. One must get rid of the fescue first.
David
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/20/08 09:35 PM
Have been shooting a good bit lately, mostly sporting. Shot the NWTF tournament at The Meadows last weekend. Shot 400 registered targets. Leaving for Cordoba on the 27th to really get warmed up with the twenty ga. SP II. Will be on a field opening day here and will be just as happy with a limit of 12 (maybe 15) as with the bag in Argentina.
Just today, got my invite for opening Saturday and Sunday in two different dove fields near Starke, FL. BBQ, friends, shotguns, dogs, kids, ribbing on misses...and after all is done...sunset with a sip of shine! It don't get much better!!!
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/20/08 10:50 PM
I have never used decoys, but got some from Cabelas rhe other day, including some spinning wing decoys. Have them set up on 10 foot poles, they are so realistic, they even fooled 2 of our cats...Cant wait to see how they work on the real thing....
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/20/08 10:56 PM
Chuck,
I found that concealment when using the decoys is important. Some camo and cover will go a long way to help make use of the decoys.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/21/08 12:09 AM
I've used decoys on doves for years, and have found that the best place ever to set them up is atop a center pivot irrigation system. Doves will light right beside them. Put up a Mojo with about three or four stills on each side and sit by the tire and you can limit all by yourself in a 100 acre field.

Make sure anyone around you knows not to shoot at a dove sitting on the pivot, though. There is a very expensive electrical cable with many conductors inside it running along the top of all of them, except the old water drives. Many have been ruined by stray shot. Matter of fact, don't even shoot in that direction.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/21/08 12:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Make sure anyone around you knows not to shoot at a dove sitting on the pivot, though.

Chuck H and Joe Wood please take note!

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Jack Ward Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/21/08 02:10 AM
Perry, what birds are you referring to at Arch? Don't think they are releasing doves. Pheasants? Bobwhite? What is the date? Do you have a contact # in Arch? I am originally from Portales and Clovis. Maybe we can meet in Arch. --Jack
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/21/08 02:14 AM
I'm all but convinced of trying to get the limit with a 16 bore muzzle-loader. Anyone have any advice besides not to get in a hurry and shoot the ramrod at the birds. I've read of using dry grass, hemp or tow in lieu of an overshot card to tamp the shot down. But I'll have a leg-o-mutton or 2 with hammer breechloaders.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/21/08 02:33 AM
Raimey I have no experience with that but certainly encourage you to do it. Single barrel or double?

Best,

Mike
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/21/08 02:37 AM
I've shot doves a few times with a muzzle loader. I finally came to my senses and started shooting black out of cartridge guns....

Tip don't stop to reload untill you shoot both barrels because when you do doves will trying to land on your head and two barels load about as fast as one.
Reloading can be done fairly quickly with a shot snake and a proper powder flask. Myself I like the Irish measure on a shot snake....I "think" Highsmith prefered the English measure.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 08/22/08 02:26 AM
AmarilloMike:

It's a Belgian double with a 16.7mm stamp on the right and a 17mm stamp on the left.

HomelessJOe:

Yeah, Mr. M.V. Highsmith is my inspiration. I wouldn't doubt it if High just made a mound of powder in his hand to suit him and then dumped it into the barrel. I'll ask him and see. One issue I have is that if my left shirt sleeve cuff isn't fully extended(possibly taped), the underside of my left arm smarts when the left lock fires. I wouldn't shoot one in short sleeves and short britches to check the 96:1. And then there's a very slight delay before the powder ignites. Hell of a cloud of smoke, smell of spent powder, sulfur and it really excites the dogs. I almost think they like to watch the gun rather than the game.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 09/07/08 01:13 AM
Well, with the mist this a.m. and the overcast afternoon, I decided to shoot the muzzle loader but didn't harvest the limit of 15 for Alabama in that I fell 5 short. I just don't see how the folk in the 19th Century shot as well as they did. The smoke for one thing pretty much eliminates a closer follow up shot. With the weather they were high and the muzzle loader seemed to cotton to that. And there's the reloading issue. I had a campaign chair as a gift from my mother-in-law that I used as a make shift reloading station. One can really go thru some powder. And occassionaly during a rush you get a weak one and sometimes a strong one from a double dollup somewhere. If anyone is interested, I can tell you what not to do.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 09/07/08 01:31 AM
Dove season finally opened at noon today in the humid Georgia heat. We had a good group of guys and a reasonably good set-up with a narrow powerline r/w in the 4 year old pines planted in corn and partly mowed and harrowed with the rest cut up with a silage cutter and sprayed over the bare ground. I was a little out of the flite-line but surprized myself with some pretty fancy shooting using a 1908 Ithaca Flues.

Someone gave me this closet gun wrapped in a sheet and rusted shut last spring. I cleaned her up so she's presentable at least and she responded today in her 100th birthday year with some clean kills. I used 14 RST lite shells and picked up 9 out of 11 shot down in the thickets...Geo
Posted By: chux Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 09/07/08 03:06 AM
It finally got here today in Bama. Took out three guns to shoot. The Twin Ports hammer gun did ok, took 4 with it. Took the same with the LC Smith 16 ga. The old sterlingworth 16ga took the rest of the limit. Was good to be out shooting.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 09/07/08 02:23 PM
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Well, with the mist this a.m. and the overcast afternoon, I decided to shoot the muzzle loader but didn't harvest the limit of 15 for Alabama in that I fell 5 short. I just don't see how the folk in the 19th Century shot as well as they did. The smoke for one thing pretty much eliminates a closer follow up shot. With the weather they were high and the muzzle loader seemed to cotton to that. And there's the reloading issue. I had a campaign chair as a gift from my mother-in-law that I used as a make shift reloading station. One can really go thru some powder. And occassionaly during a rush you get a weak one and sometimes a strong one from a double dollup somewhere. If anyone is interested, I can tell you what not to do.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Good for you!

OK - now tell me what not do please.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 09/10/08 02:49 PM
AmarilloMike:

Don't be surprised when your dog, who generally keeps a couple yards radius from you, moves out to at least 10 yards. And don't be caught of guard when fielding questions line have you have started a brush fire or are you burning pine knots after the 1st few palls(not balls, but palls) of smoke linger.

Possibly a little lengthy and could be considered verbiage but here it is:

The above is true but you need to begin after cleaning, moping and drying by checking the depth of each unloaded tube with the ramrod for reference. Flash the tubes at home before you depart and be sure to carry the wormscrew with you especially on damp, foggy mornings and a light mallet/hammer wouldn't hurt. HomelessJoe is correct in that it is best to reload after firing both barrels. "Shooting flying" with a muzzle-loader results in a good follow thru and concentration due to the pall of smoke. Don’t even consider the longarm to be a handicap(with the exception of reloading) due to the fact that it will neutralize game just as well as a breechloader. But do pattern it. Don't follow Greener's reloading pic with the butt away from you and the tube near your nose. Always keep the muzzles from your face. If you are right handed, put the butt near your right foot and hold the gun at your left arm's length with the ramrod in the barrel you didn't fire with its hammer at half-cock. Also at this stage it's good practice to look down to see which hammer has been tripped just for a double check. I don't know if it's better to leave the tripped hammer on the nipple or pull it to half-cock which would be the state if you forced some air thru. Always take the time to slightly crimp the cap as you’ll spin around in all the commotion and be without a cap. And you better have either toughened your thumbs or taped them because shooting a muzzle-loader for a couple days will make your thumbs a little sensitive. Do not get in a hurry because you will double either a powder or shot charge or forget the wad and mix powder and shot, which will lead to a long delay. If the birds are relatively high and continuous, I wouldn't worry with the overshot card because in a rush it gets pressed to the side and lands up vertical atop the shot. If the nipples aren't too hot, force a little air thru them and this is where blowing thru the tubes has its origin. A rigid long sleeved shirt is a must as your left wrist will be black, you will smell like spent powder and your wife will think you’ve been to a Civil War Re-enactment. I'd scan over a powder MSDS sheet like http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/msds/Shotshell.pdf , inhaling all that smoke will irritate your throat and I had a headache for a day which could have been sinus related. After shooting some, I'm even more amazed how the sportsmen of the 19th Century did what they did and I tip my hat even more to them. But Colonel Peter Hawker's Instructions seem to be misleading and I’ve read that he chased down fowl with his horse before shooting them with his flintlock; which using a flintlock as a fowling piece appears to be more difficult requiring even more follow thru and possibly an adventure later on this season. Last, be sure to discharge the longarm in the field or you will definitely need the wormscrew. Carry some water with you and while everyone is packing up, wash the tubes with it and the crowd will know you are crazy.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Time to get ready for dove season - 09/10/08 04:26 PM
Thanks Raimey!

That sounds like something I would like to try. I have been looking at double percussion shotguns for sometime now and will increase my efforts.

Thanks again,

Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com