doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: David Furman how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 04:27 PM
I have a sterlingworth that I am restocking. For the moment at least I just want to do a turbo-cleaning on the action and parts while I have it all apart. I am sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything significant. Apart from "scrub, kid" what would you use to clean inside/outside, any tips, etc? (There is a small amount of case color left if that makes any difference) Anything else I should do while I'm at it?
Thanks,
Dave
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 05:19 PM

An ultrasonic cleaning is the best way but expensive.

I've boiled them in water and TSP, rinsed in hot water, blown dry and soaked in oil afterwords. Has worked well for me.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 05:21 PM
Mr. Robs way is easy & no cost so to speak. It will work as well as any other method & is quick. Ken
Posted By: David Furman Re: how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 05:26 PM
Thanks guys. TSP??? That's a new one for me...obvious I'm sure but I be slow.
Posted By: keith Re: how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 05:36 PM
TSP is tri-sodium phosphate. It is available at hardware stores like Home Depot and is usually packaged in paper milk carton like containers, and found near the painting supplies. It is cheap and effective and won't give you liver cancer like many organic solvent degreasers. Use it as you would with any strong powdered detergent, rinse and dry well, and re-lubricate.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 06:05 PM
brake clean works real well also. auto parts store.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 06:11 PM
Dipping the whole thing in carbureutor cleaner works very well. Not much scrubbing required. It takes off all oils and greases that have 'lacquered up'.
Posted By: OB Re: how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 06:19 PM
A regular residential dishwasher does a great job except for the truly oxidized/polymerised lube oils. Aerosol heavy duty oven cleaner will remove those. So will automotive choke/carb cleaner.

OB
Posted By: David Furman Re: how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 06:53 PM
I have heard people say that some of the automotive cleaners (brake?) would remove case colors. Am I thinking of something else, or is that still the case?
Posted By: David Hamilton Re: how to really clean old action - 08/20/08 08:49 PM
None of the Break cleaners or such that I have used would remove case colors. I would think that a cleaner would have to be acidic or corrosive to affect the case colors. One would not want to put anything like that on break parts or carburators for that matter. My solution was to buy an old but working ultrasonic cleaner from a dentist. Nothing I know of will clean as well. David
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: how to really clean old action - 08/21/08 12:17 AM
I use boiling TSP just like Rob does, and hit it with water displacing oil immediately after a pat dry to avoid light surface rust.
If I'm going to file or polish after, don't even do the wdo, just dry.
Boiling TSP gets the insides sparkling clean, even removes nasty built up grease and Rangoon oil.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: how to really clean old action - 08/21/08 12:55 AM
I use Walmart spray carb cleaner, cheap, effective but the gun is DRY, it must be well oiled to prevent rust and gauling.
bill
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com