doublegunshop.com - home
I'm looknig for a recommendation for a gun case for travel with a double shotgun. I know this has been discussed before and I wasn't paying attention. DUH!

What I'm seeking is something that will handle one (or perhaps two) o/u or sxs shotguns broken down (with up to 32 inch barrels), meets airline standards regarding locking mechanisms and will secure the guns so that they don't move even with the roughest handling. I can't say price is no object, but I would spend a reasonable amount of money for the "lasts a lifetime and will never fail you" product.

Thanks.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Recommendations for a Gun Case for Travel - 08/28/08 06:01 PM
http://www.starlightcases.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=cases
I have used both I Impact Case and Container (ICC)and Cabela's cases that are made by ICC. They are very well made and are heavy but do a very good job of protecting the contents. The cost is not all that bad. Two thickness are available .063 and .080 they will also build a case for you if you need something special. I have several plastic cases but for travel only use them when I run out of good cases. I do have a case made by Aluma Sport case by Dee Zee that I traded into and there is no way I would purchase one.
http://www.icc-case.com/
Cheers,
Laurie
I've used the SKB cases to travel pretty extensively, but one member here has related a story where a case cracked from impact. I've had a number of different types that I've traveled successfully with including a cheapo Doskosil and a Americase or two.

One or two members who said they travel extensively highly recommended the Kalispell type all aluminum construction.

Personally, I don't care for traveling with an Americase as they are HEAVY and I don't think the construction with pop rivets is all that strong relative to their weight. The cheapo's are on the other extreme in terms of weight and price but provide pretty good protection but for their latching mechanisms in most cases. Pelican cases are also heavy. I've never seen a broken one, but some claim they can be broken. I've traveled around the country on business with a couple moderate sized Pelican cases for airplane tooling with no problems. If an all aluminum construction is what you determine you need, the Haliburton cases are the lightest and probably the strongest due to their hydro-formed shapes and heat treating.
Posted By: binko Re: Recommendations for a Gun Case for Travel - 08/28/08 06:06 PM
I've got the "Browning" double gun case, $200.00, and am very happy with it, but if you want total protection against REALLY ROUGH handling, I would look for an "Anvil" or anvil type of case.

Check this out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MEZZI-ALUMINUM-RIFLE...bayphotohosting

Looks really good for the money.

binko
Posted By: APS Re: Recommendations for a Gun Case for Travel - 08/28/08 06:35 PM
Aside from shooting moving technical gear is what I do- I have about 600 "Anvil" type cases- known as ATA cargo cases. I would never move a gun in such a case. The ATA case has a place but not for moving a gun on commerical flights- they are heavy and can run from cheap and expendable to so expensive it will make you cry.

I use and like Pelican for security, the weight of the case and the ability to protect the contents. I hae used these for guns and my electronics with grat results.

Storm case is another company that makes a simular product that has become popular as the empty weight of these cases is a bit less that competeing Pelican products- more payload.

al
I have had good luck with the SKBs.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Recommendations for a Gun Case for Travel - 08/28/08 06:42 PM
I have traveled with Tuffpak and prefer it. They are not cheap.
http://www.tuffpak.com/

Pete
Posted By: binko Re: Recommendations for a Gun Case for Travel - 08/28/08 06:53 PM
Al,

If you noticed I referred to REALLY ROUGH handling! If I had a $150,000.00 pair of Boss, Purdy, or Holland & Holland Doubles, I don't think the price of shipping or the excess weight would make much difference, just so long as they were protected as well as possible, and from my years of playing music, and touring around the country, there is none better, for protection, than a true Anvil case, IMO.

binko
Posted By: MPE Re: Recommendations for a Gun Case for Travel - 08/28/08 06:57 PM
I use a Browning Travel Vault and have been very happy with it. I think it is the same as the Pelican case. My Dad has the same case in bright orange and says he can spot it a mile away and no one will walk off with it. I use master pad locks on it and also carry a spare pair in my carry on in case TSA cuts them off. I have not needed the TSA locks yet.

Take care,

Mike
I watched some airline folks push gun cases and other long cases off the conveyor belt about waist high into a pile on the tarmac then drive around with the cart picking them up last at Vegas. Buy the best case you can afford. When flying back from the winter custom gunmaker show in Reno the TSA gal reset the combination TSA locks and had to get a supervisor to unlock them. Then the airline lost the case with two rifles for a couple of days. I'm about done flying with guns.
Posted By: APS Re: Recommendations for a Gun Case for Travel - 08/28/08 07:25 PM
I am in the touring business- ATA cases have there place but when weight is a factor and for overall protection for gun size items the Pelican wins every time.

Look at my site http://www.paragon-productions.com

all of that is in ATA cases

al
Originally Posted By: MPE
I use a Browning Travel Vault and have been very happy with it. I think it is the same as the Pelican case. My Dad has the same case in bright orange and says he can spot it a mile away and no one will walk off with it. I use master pad locks on it and also carry a spare pair in my carry on in case TSA cuts them off. I have not needed the TSA locks yet.

Take care,

Mike

Mike,
I think the Browning cases may be made by Pelican for Browning. Pelican is about 1/2 mile from my house and is a fairly large outfit with no direct retail sales that I'm aware of.
Originally Posted By: binko
Al,

If you noticed I referred to REALLY ROUGH handling! If I had a $150,000.00 pair of Boss, Purdy, or Holland & Holland Doubles, I don't think the price of shipping or the excess weight would make much difference, just so long as they were protected as well as possible, and from my years of playing music, and touring around the country, there is none better, for protection, than a true Anvil case, IMO.

binko

If I had a pair of $150k guns, they'd never get handled by a baggage handler at an airport. I'd take the "cheapo" guns for trips. Something I could afford to loose.
As others have said, I like my Pelican. $200 for the 2-gun model. An internet search should yield you a small savings over the Cabela's price.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Recommendations for a Gun Case for Travel - 08/28/08 08:41 PM
Wonko the Sane recommended a case made in the US. that starts with a Z when this discussion came up here several years ago. I bought two of them and have been well pleased. Someone correct me, the name is Zenil or something like that. They were a great aluminum case for the money several years ago and I assume they still are.
These are a nice design. Makes carrying a possibly high dollar double, not so obvious.

http://www.roostersporting.com/luggage.html
Posted By: Tyler Re: Recommendations for a Gun Case for Travel - 08/29/08 01:30 AM
It is Ziegel Manufacturing well built cases for a fair price
http://www.ziegeleng.com/
I have both Pelican and Americase. They are both good and both heavy. Americase did some drop testing if I remember correctly, of course to prove thier superiority.

One thing about Americase. You can now get them to make a case sort of custom fit for your gun. I have one and like it.

The best way to fit a Pelican is with a reciprocating knife(electric turkey knife). Pelican is the standard case for rifles of the tactical variety.

APS, you don't have a real 59 narrow panel bassman that you area tired of do you??
I use Hardigg Storm Cases. Have them for luggage and gun cases. Co I work for did extensive testing vs Pelican a nd chose Hardigg for multiple reasons to protect equipment. Gun case has african trips, short breakdown case is what I ship in all over the place and my luggage has 100's of thousands of miles on it. Never an issue. The latches are more secure and easier to open and close.
Just returned from RSA/Namibia and took a double rifle and a sxs shotgun. Used the Cabelas "Bullet Proof" case that has beveled corners, uses a rod through all four latches, and costs $170. Worked well.

Regards
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com