doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LGF Stock finishing - 07/14/15 03:39 PM
To help kick things off, here is a terrific thread on stock finishing.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=11127&page=1
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Stock finishing - 07/19/15 08:31 PM
OMG, 31 pages of really informative stuff on stock finishing, with NO juvenile peeing contests! Thank you!!!!PS:only got to p 20 today, but will read more tomorrow.
Posted By: oldr31 Re: Stock finishing - 07/21/15 02:04 PM
That's quite a thread! I only got through ten pages, but, like XS said, good stuff and "no juvenile peeing". I'm an amateur and have tried/used many of the mixes mentioned. You could call my results "varied".
Posted By: SKB Re: Stock finishing - 07/21/15 02:15 PM
I'm just finishing up a red oil stock now. The first one I have tried with this new to me technique. I used BLO with ground alkenet root and put on as much as the wood would take over 2 days. Let it sit for a week or so then repeated the process with the root and Daly's see fin sear. I really like it so far. Pics when it is complete.
Posted By: Salopian Re: Stock finishing - 08/28/15 06:58 PM
It really is amazing that this thread could be running for nearly twenty years ?????
Then I asked , 'Did anyone have any idea what was in Tru Oil?' Still no replies.
In the meantime we have had Damascus's very good input.
We used to have Warthog's Purdey Stock Finish which was excellent , but has now disappeared without trace. And surprise ,surprise many stock finishers do actually use Tru-oil as their preferred finish.
Posted By: damascus Re: Stock finishing - 08/28/15 07:39 PM
If you have a look at the Health and Safety submission sheet for “Tru Oil” it states:- 56% Mineral Spirits.
33% Modified Oil
11% Linseed Oil
And it does not need much mental agility to work out what the “Modified Oil” is! If anybody is struggling PM me.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com