doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: builder Stock painting - 07/31/18 09:30 PM
I have a stock that has several blemishes, mostly small holes filled with colored epoxy (it came that way). I have tried artist oil paint and artist acrylic paint to try to improve how it looks. The acrylic paint has an odd sheen and you can see the difference after finishing with Pro Custom Oil or True Oil. The look is better, I think with oil paint however when applying the finish it dissolves the oil paint and it essentially disappears. Maybe a water based clear finish over the oil paint might work. I was hoping someone had some experience with this and could advise me what to do.
Posted By: susjwp Re: Stock painting - 08/01/18 11:59 AM
contact mark larsen in seattle. he did a stock for me to cover blemishes and was very informative. he does post on this site.
Posted By: GLS Re: Stock painting - 08/01/18 01:03 PM
Larson.
https://www.marklarsongunart.com/

He's the man when it comes to grain enhancement, etc. Gil
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Stock painting - 08/01/18 01:40 PM
If I recall correctly, Mark Larson puts one or more coats of a clear epoxy finish of some kind over the painted grain before applying his final finish. It insulates the painted grain from the final finish, preventing the problem you are experiencing.

Mark did a stock addition for me on a British sidelock and the final product is stunning. The seam between the original wood and the extension is completely invisible.
Posted By: builder Re: Stock painting - 08/02/18 01:48 AM
Thanks Guys! Mark did a beautiful job covering two black marks on a nice gun of mine however this gun is an inexpensive gun and I don't want to invest that much in it. I appreciate the advice and I thought I might have read something to that effect. I am sure I will do my best but it will not be any where near the effect Mark can put on the stock but I just want it so you can't see it a block away (LOL).
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Stock painting - 08/04/18 01:19 PM
Brownells use to sell graining pens in different colors and they work well. Bobby
Posted By: SKB Re: Stock painting - 08/04/18 01:42 PM
https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/product...n-pigment-type/

Mohawk products work well. The tricky part is the build up and blending. you need a finish that is on top of the wood.
Steve
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Stock painting - 08/05/18 05:04 AM
If you sanded the stock and saved the dust you could get pretty close
Posted By: builder Re: Stock painting - 08/05/18 10:30 PM
Again, thanks for taking the time to try to help me. It looks like grain markers and brush tip grain markers covered in light coats of lacquer sprayed over will do the trick. Seems like an important skill to acquire. More ideas or advice will still be appreciated.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Stock painting - 08/14/18 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB

+1 on the Mohawk product.
Posted By: Gary Rennles Re: Stock painting - 08/14/18 10:18 PM

Its not a double but wood is wood
I use a airbrush for large areas , and a small brush for the grain.
I use enamel paints for the grain, and when putting on the finish I do lose some of the graining.
I put on grain, and then a coat of finish and repeat until I have the look I want.
It takes several applications but it gives it depth.

Posted By: builder Re: Stock painting - 08/15/18 03:16 AM
I mixed artist oil paint with 2 part epoxy. It seems to work without being dissolved by the thinner. I had tried spraying with lacquer over the artist oil paint but the acetone also dissolved the oil paint. I was going to paint, then put clear thinned epoxy but the thinner was acetone. The oil over the epoxy mixed oil paint did not dissolve the paint. Not exactly what I wanted but I think it will work. I think there is still a better way but just don't know it.
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Stock painting - 08/15/18 06:37 PM
I've just received a set of furniture touch up markers which I found on the big auction site - eb#y which look to be the business. Just got a patch of light filler to colour on a repaired fore end. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I thought they were just permanent markers but it seems there is more to them, ingredients include resin acids, rosin acide and lots of other esters etc.
Not sure if they're available over the pond, I'm in the UK but it may be worth a search for furniture touch up markers.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Stock painting - 08/15/18 10:37 PM
Milt, you might try these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ideaworks-Tot...13=&veh=sem

I have ones from Lowe's that are just markers, I like these because you also get fill-in sticks.
Posted By: builder Re: Stock painting - 08/16/18 02:32 AM
Thanks David. I bought it. Great product to have around the house and to touch up stocks. I solved the immediate problem by mixing artist oil paint with two part clear epoxy and I do not get running or dissolving. Too early to take pictures.

If I do this again, I would buy some of the Mohawk fine line markers also to add grain and fool the eye. For example, after filling a round hole you might add grain along the top and bottom edge to draw the eye horizontally and not see the circle anymore. Of course it takes more than that but you get the idea.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Stock painting - 08/20/18 03:39 PM
Grain painting could sure improve some of my ugly doubles...Geo
Posted By: builder Re: Stock painting - 08/20/18 05:20 PM
Then you need to study the instruction films on :

https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/product...n-pigment-type/
that SKB sent.

Of course, they make it look easy. It will take some practice.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com