doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: sharps4590 Refinishing Damascus barrels - 11/27/18 11:56 AM
I did a search and given my considerable lack of computer skills came up blank on the subject. I have recently acquired a Manton, 16-17 bore muzzleloading double gun. The entire firearm is in absolutely remarkable condition and has Damascus barrels. I want to refinish the now blacked barrels to brown and have that stunning contrast between metals.

I know how to strip the blacking, get the barrels ready to brown and have rust browned several other muzzleloader barrels. My knowledge and experience stop at how to "wash off" the browning from one kind of metal yet leave it on the other. Is there a description of the process I've been unable to find? It cannot be that difficult If someone can direct me to a source or, tell me how it's done I would be grateful.
Posted By: SKB Re: Refinishing Damascus barrels - 11/27/18 12:18 PM
let me just say that as someone who does many different metal finishes for a living, a learning curve exists for a good damascus finish. I would recommend practicing on several scrap barrel sets first. The Oscar Gaddy double gun Journal articles are a good starting point. My process differs substantially. I use a very diluted(3% to start) Ferric Chloride solution to bring out the pattern in the metal. My browning solution also has Ferric Chloride in it. The Angier's book is useful but be careful on the conversions. Same with carding, you can over card a spot easily so be sure to do so in good light and very evenly. As and excellent gunsmith I know recently said to me in frustration "why this is as much art as it is science!" Good luck and have fun.

Steve
Posted By: mark Re: Refinishing Damascus barrels - 11/27/18 01:11 PM
I agree with SKB on the learning curve.

Lot of info here :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EGInyr3CsRadXkmTYRak4TWK-pCB3cN5Wgg51u_SnEM/edit

Trinidad has a Damascus finishing summer class.
Posted By: mark Re: Refinishing Damascus barrels - 11/27/18 01:12 PM
Here is some more.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18MIvJwHhLh87zYiUDOQ4RkZKw7b42sUhVKz_9HMDdv4/edit
Posted By: horsleyofyork Re: Refinishing Damascus barrels - 12/23/18 06:20 PM
sorry Im hopeless with links but see if you can find Tony Treadwell's book Vintage English Shotguns and their restoration.
It was available as a PDF download - that's how I got mine and its a great read with detailed instructions on barrel browning from a person who taught himself.
Ive tried following his recipe twice so far - once with great results and once definitely so so I couldn't get the finish glossy and smooth it seemed to bite too deeply into the metal.

Sadly he died soon after publication; a lot of members on this site knew him
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com