doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Need some help - 10/02/20 10:47 AM
I’m not sure the nomenclature, but the “Safe” on my gun has fallen out. It was a plate that had safe inlaid on it. Is there anywhere I could get this replaced?
Posted By: SKB Re: Need some help - 10/02/20 11:27 AM
Certainly, a good engraver can make one up easily enough for you. They are usually dovetailed in place. Sam Welch could do this for you. If you need more names let me know.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Need some help - 10/07/20 09:02 PM
Yeah they were a no go! 300 to 600 for the replacement, there has to be something cheaper!
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Need some help - 10/22/20 02:07 PM
File fit a piece and have it laser engraved. Do two or three while at it. They frequently slide out and get lost.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Need some help - 10/23/20 07:45 PM
What gun?
Maybe a spare around?
Posted By: damascus Re: Need some help - 12/23/20 12:50 PM
This missing part is not that common but it does happen and the cost for a hand engraved replacement far outweighs its size. I have replaced a number of missing "SAFE" plaques using a simple and inexpensive method that does pass for that is OK looking. Obtain a piece of Brass sheet thick enough to fill the depth of the space it is to go but larger all around, obtain a set of Alpha Numeric metal stamps I found that the 1/8 inch fitted the bill in most cases though there other sizes available, all of reasonable cost. Using the letter "S" punch as close to the center of your piece of brass file the dovetails so the "S" is in the correct center position, when you have obtained the correct fit in the action polish the Brass ink in the "S" with some India Ink. It is not the perfect replacement for the engraved safety plaque and all I can say I never did get a gun back to have the expensive full engraved safety fitted.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com