doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mike325 How to protect color case hardening? - 06/17/21 06:32 PM
Hello, what have u guys used to help protect traditional color case hardened receivers?

I was thinking of using a poly type car wax (not a cleaner wax or abrasive wax, just a poly coating like meguiers next wax 2.0), rennasaince wax, or eezox (a clp that is good for protecting bluing resists acid fingerprints and is excellent in preventing rust). I read somewhere that carnuba wax should not be used but have no idea if that is accurate or not.

Any ideas?

I have a couple guns I'm interested in protecting one is a 1913 gun which has traditional case hardening and the other a 1970s gun which I assume is a chemical type of case hardening plus varnish but I don't really know on that one.

Thanks!
Posted By: gunut Re: How to protect color case hardening? - 06/17/21 07:01 PM
spray lacquer.....
The late Oscar Gaddy, an authority on case coloring, recommended Behlen's spray lacquer to protect the surface.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: How to protect color case hardening? - 06/20/21 02:13 AM
I use Formby’s Tung Oil commonly found at any big box hardware store. Clean action with acetone or alcohol and using a 3/8” camel hair brush apply liberally but not enough to run. Oil self smooths and dries within a day in a dry climate. Maybe two for a more humid environment. Formby’s has so little solids in it that when dry only a very thin coat remains and does not fill engraving cuts. Easily removed with alcohol or acetone. Be sure none of the solvents touch the wood finish. By far the best and most attractive finish I’ve ever seen. I also use the same process on damascus barrels. Would really brighten blued steel barrels too.
Posted By: damascus Re: How to protect color case hardening? - 06/23/21 01:48 PM
Keep the gun while not in use out of direct strong sunlight, UV does have a tendency to bleach out the co lours over time. so if you want to apply some form of coating try to find one with some UV protection. Though at this point I would like to add one of my pet hates "Case Co lours " and the percentage thereof on a gun is just one other method of the gun trade to wring more cash out of the second user gun purchaser.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com