doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: al Parker barrels - 05/28/22 07:30 PM
I recently acquired a 1895 era Parker. The barrels do not want to disengage from the frame. Forearm removes normally, barrels cock gun normally when rotated. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Kutter Re: Parker barrels - 05/28/22 08:18 PM
Dry Fire at least one of the bbls after you have the forend removed.
The bbls will usually dismount from the frame after that.

The bbls will easily go back on even with one or both of the hammers down.
Put the bbls back on the frame, Close, replace the forend.
Open the gun and it will recock the hammer(s).

The cocking hook is the usual part that is not dissconnecting when the forend is taken off .
It's supposed to so the bbls can be then removed.
Dry firing usually does the trick.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Parker barrels - 05/29/22 03:25 AM
With the forend off you will see a small rod on the right side protruding out of knuckle that should stick out quite a way. If it does not not move freely when you press it firmly then it needs to be removed and cleaned and lubricated. That small rod is what locks the cocking hook in place with the forend on and also releases the hook with the forend off so the barrels can be removed. A very small screw on the flat of the action is what holds the rod in place and needs to be removed to withdraw the rod for cleaning. The tiny screw head is intimidating and you’d better have a perfectly shaped screwdriver to remove it. An alternative you might try first is to squirt some Kroil or similar fluid on the rod and work the rod back and forth to see if it loosens up and works properly.

Another suggestion. Along with being sure the rod is free and working easily (it does have a coil spring in it), be sure the cocking rod moves freely. There is a small hole in it where a lubricant is supposed to go. I’d again suggest something like Kroil to free it up. The gun really needs a complete stripping and cleaning. Do NOT take a file to any part—it is already perfect.

PM me if you have questions.

Good luck!
Posted By: ed good Re: Parker barrels - 05/30/22 02:34 PM
should work...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Parker barrels - 06/01/22 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by ed good
should work...

grin grin grin
Posted By: al Re: Parker barrels - 06/07/22 08:35 PM
Thanks Joe. After allowing Kroil to soak in for few days the pin in the knuckle moves freely and operates normally compared to my other Parker. Barrels are still stuck. They rotate normally and cock normally. Gun is dirty and will get the strip and clean as soon as I get the barrels off. Any further suggestions? BTW it is a DH that weighs 6 3/4 lbs. and fits me well. Gun is well worn but original except for a wood refinish.
Posted By: mc Re: Parker barrels - 06/07/22 09:26 PM
Pull the stock and bottom plate clean as much as you can .should work:)
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Parker barrels - 06/09/22 02:55 AM
Contact Brian Dudley, a very good Parker gunsmith. He will probably be able to walk you through barrel removal. Good guy.

Brian M. Dudley
PO Box 246
Spencerport, NY 14559
E-Mail: bmdgunstocks@yahoo.com
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parker barrels - 07/03/22 09:30 PM
"Pull the stock and bottom plate" is not as simple as it sounds.
Posted By: mc Re: Parker barrels - 07/13/22 04:55 AM
Well eightbore it is
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com