doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jamie243AI Stock Pitch - 11/14/22 02:51 AM
I have a new Browning White Lightening in 16ga and it seems to shoot low. When I mount it, I can’t really see the front bead. I only see a minimal amount of the rib. Is there an ‘easy’ method to help determine the amount of negative pitch necessary to get the point of aim up?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Stock Pitch - 11/14/22 04:15 PM
Jamie243AI,
You might build up the comb temporarily with taped on (painter's tape) cardboard or leather until it shoots where you want it to impact, then have someone bend the stock to match.
Mike
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Stock Pitch - 11/14/22 09:38 PM
Jamie243AI,
Checkout the "For sale Forum", above. Pipeliner has contoured comb risers for sale that may solve your problem.
Mike
Posted By: Mark II Re: Stock Pitch - 11/14/22 09:47 PM
Ifyou want to tempoarily change the pitch you can make shims from old shot shell boxes and put them under the butt plate or pad. From your post it seems a comb raiser would work better.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Stock Pitch - 11/15/22 12:06 AM
If you're certain the problem is with the pitch, and not with the drop, Brownell's has wedge shaped, black spacers that can be used to change pitch without cutting the wood. They are used between the wood and the buttplate/pad.

I'd try adding to the top of the comb first, as others have advised.
Posted By: AGS Re: Stock Pitch - 12/03/22 03:41 AM
Is it shooting low when you pattern it or is it a perception you have when you miss a flying target? I ask this because most people I have observed patterning a shotgun shoot low. I think this is for one of two reasons. Wingshooting is a reflexive act, but patterning is like shooting a rifle to some extent. Most people in that situation tend to put an open rifle sight at the bottom of a bull and shoot. If you do this with a shotgun on patterning paper, you can shoot a foot low or more. Try putting a 4" dot in the middle annd cover this up with the bead.

Another issue is simple flinching. Flinching is not always fear of recoil; it can be anticipation of the shot. I don't know the number of people I have seen over many years who are not familiar with a gun and don't realize the automatic safety has engaged. When they try to shoot, you see them try to pull the trigger and nothing happens except they lunge forward into the gun and the muzzle drops downward. People seldom shoot rifles from a standing position anymore, or you would see the same thing. With shotguns, they are always standing, and it is easily apparent what is happening. These same people have no problem shooting at moving targets.

I have owned a bunch of Browning O/U's and I never owned one that shot low. Unless you have a really weird shoulder, pitch would be the last thing I would think to tinker with. I like straighter stocks, but don't have trouble adjusting to comb heighth if I have too. The real payoff for me is to have the cast right, and even a little more at bottom than top. If you are shooting low at flying targets, try the comb risers. If it is with patterning, pattern the gun using a low gun stance, then shoot in with smooth motion using a mount, point, shoot technique and use a center dot. You may find a big difference.
Posted By: Jamie243AI Re: Stock Pitch - 12/21/22 01:45 AM
The wedge works perfectly. Plus, nothing on the wood comb.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Stock Pitch - 12/21/22 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jamie243AI
The wedge works perfectly. Plus, nothing on the wood comb.

That's great, Jamie. I like easy "fixes" that can be undone without any unnecessary work.
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Stock Pitch - 12/26/22 04:41 AM
Bend the stock up
Posted By: Jamie243AI Re: Stock Pitch - 12/26/22 09:56 PM
I’ve thought about that…
Posted By: Hank01 Re: Stock Pitch - 12/31/22 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jamie243AI
I have a new Browning White Lightening in 16ga and it seems to shoot low. When I mount it, I can’t really see the front bead. I only see a minimal amount of the rib. Is there an ‘easy’ method to help determine the amount of negative pitch necessary to get the point of aim up?

Yes, there is a very simple way to check the pitch of your gun.Start by standing the shotgun on the floor with the butt flat. Keeping the butt flat on the floor, slide the shotgun back until something touches the wall. If the muzzle touches the wall but the breech does not then the pitch is positive or up. Measuring the distance from the wall to the breech provides the amount of positive pitch. If the muzzle and breech both touch the wall then the pitch is zero. If the breech touches the wall and the muzzle does not then the pitch is negative or down. Measuring the distance from the wall to the tip of the muzzle provides the amount of negative pitch. From this discussion it's easy to see that a shotgun with 26" barrels has less pitch than the same shotgun fitted with 30" barrels and that the length of the barrels must be included when describing a shotgun in terms of pitch. Positive pitch is rarely encountered and zero pitch, unless your shoulder is shaped as a brick, will work for just about, well, no one. The majority of shooters find the correct amount of negative pitch, usually between 4 and 6 degrees provides the best shooting experience. Hope this helps! Hank
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com