doublegunshop.com - home
I just took delivery of an E Merkel Cape gun in 16GA and 8X57JR. It is marked for 14 gram (216 grain) bullets. The most readily available ammo is S&B which is 12.7 gram, 196 grain bullet. Should I expect the rifle barrel to shoot high or low with the lighter S&B ammo? Is there a .318 diameter bullet weighing around 215 grains available for reloading?
That's only 20 gr. difference in bullet weight so if you're fortunate, at the velocity it is travelling, hopefully there won't be much difference. If I were anticipating a difference I would suspect it to be lower due to shorter barrel time and less barrel rise under recoil. I would also think that the load could be juggled, velocity-wise, to make it shoot to POA. I had a similar situation with a 16 X 16 over 7 X 57 Mauser drilling and by juggling powder charge the rifle was made to shoot to POA with a 160 gr. bullet instead of using the more normal 175 gr. for that era of drilling.

I'm not familiar with the 8X57 JR other than what it is, consequently I can't offer any info on what is available. If you cast bullets I would assume something is surely available in a mold of that weight. Sounds like a fun firearm!!! Good luck with it.
I finally took it out and shot it. It shoots 10 inches high at 100 yards. I'm going to get an .060 taller front sight and shoot the 196s.
Shooting therm is always definitive.
Sorry to get into this thread so late...

Buffalo Arms offers .318 bullets in 200 and 176 gr. I'm using the 200gr in my drilling and working up to a hunting load. I managed to get some RWS ammo and it clocked at 2500fps. I also have S&B, but have not chronographed it yet.

The RWS shot 6" above POA at 50yds, and I've been told the iron sight is indexed at 150m and it hits about 1-2" high at that distance (still have to do some more 100yd range time.)

My load so far is 39.5gr IMR4064, but will try 41, 42, 43 grains of same. 42 grains is the starting load for the .323 size 8x57JS in the Speer manual.
I bought some Recknagel front sights and a milling cutter for them. I just got the gun back from the gunsmith who installed the new taller front sight. If my trig is correct the gun should shoot to the top of the new sight.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com