doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tunes 16ga Husqvarna Rolling Block shotgun - 02/29/12 09:33 PM
Hello,

I have a 16ga roller with straight rifling. I've been shooting it with low pressure 3/4 and 15/16 shot loads with good results.

I'd like to try shooting a solid lead projectile and was wondering what you folks are using? I have access to both brass and paper hulls and have considered a round ball either patched or trying one sized to the bore. Is there a mini-style bullet that was used??

Thanks in advance,

tunes
Posted By: Tom Hall Re: 16ga Husqvarna Rolling Block shotgun - 03/01/12 12:12 AM
Hey Tunes.

I picked up one a few years ago and somewhere around here there is a thread on it. Went two routes - one with a full size .690 Lee ball mold (the groove went .69), brass cases etc. Second with a .66 lyman and some form of patch. May have been paper.
Equal results with both over 100+ gr of FF.
Not terribly accurate but certainly within minute of deer. The loads that I developed were to get it to shoot to the sights which it eventually did do. There are others who have better experiences with the 16 bore, namely Tinker.

Good shooting

Tom
Posted By: fdwjr Re: 16ga Husqvarna Rolling Block shotgun - 03/09/12 10:00 AM
Originally the Husqvarna rollers with straight or normal rifling (gauge calibers) were used with round balls. This is found in all the books and catalogs I have.
Posted By: argolee504 Re: 16ga Husqvarna Rolling Block shotgun - 03/11/12 04:02 AM
there was a law that any large game had to be shot with a rifled barrel so to allow hunters with one gun to be legal the husqvarna factory made straight rifling to allow it to be used for big game and small as the straight rifling will not affect shot patterns
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com