doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nero BSA thick wall Martini advice wanted. - 04/09/09 08:50 AM
Is it ok to use a 220 Swift in a BSA thick wall Martini or should I stick with a necked down 30-30 case.
Regards.
Posted By: trevj Re: BSA thick wall Martini advice wanted. - 04/09/09 05:04 PM
That's a hotter round than I'd want my face next to, on a 3/4" barrel shank, thick walls or no.

I read of guys fitting the Small Martini's in a .223, and still don't like the idea. Not based on any numbers, just, well, not comfortable with it.

I figure either a smaller diameter case, or a lower maximum pressure cartridge is probably more appropriate.

Will the 30-30 go around the "curve" and feed into the chamber on the small Martini?

Or are you dealing with a Large frame Martini? (ex .303, or 577-450)

Cheers
Trev
If it's thick wall, it will be a small-action BSA - and Trev is right, the barrel shank is too small for the round. The action will handle it though.
Barrel shank size is important here. A good number for a varmint round in a small-action BSA is the 5.6 x 50R, a bit like a lengthened .222 mag. It will get you close to 22-250 MV's.
And not to worry, it will warn you in time when pressure are getting too high - that's when the cases will be hard to extract. A Martini doesn't have the extracting power of a bolt action.
These small-frame actions are actually stronger than the large ones - better steel, thicker receiver walls.
Main limitations are barrel shank size, rimmed cartridge (not much of a limitation though) and cartridge length for chambering - especially with straight cartridges: it needs to be able to "make the bend"...
Posted By: 38_Cal Re: BSA thick wall Martini advice wanted. - 04/09/09 08:38 PM
Personally, I would suggest going with a 219 Zipper, which is based on the 25-35, for the small Martini actions. Moderate pressure, rimmed, enough body taper to make the bend, and it looks neat!

David
Montezuma, IA
Posted By: Nero Re: BSA thick wall Martini advice wanted. - 04/09/09 09:49 PM
Yes small Martini and the 220 Swift goes round the bend in my 7mm Waters ok.
Thinking of using the 30-30 case instead of the 25-35 as its available off the shelf where I live.
So its a resounding no as regards the 220 Swift.
Regards.
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: BSA thick wall Martini advice wanted. - 04/10/09 03:08 AM
I have small Martinis in 219 Zipper and 219 Improved Zipper, my friend George the Knifemaker has them in 5-6 different 30-30-based wildcats from 22 to 35 caliber and 44 Magnum. Neither George nor I load these cartridges past about 45Kpsi or slightly above the leverguns' original pressure specs. We both, and also several professional Martini-builders, agree that the 225 Winchester as factory-loaded past 50K is slightly too much for the little Cadet's small-shank barrel. The 7-30 Waters, OTOH, is ideal (~45K) except the rifles usually end up being so light that the recoil is fairly stout (G). An inexpensive way out would be to chamber short with a 225 reamer, cut the rim recess with the lathe tool and then grind off the bottom of the resizer and set the cartridge case shoulders & OAL back a like dimension. This approach would allow use of the relatively common and inexpensive 225 Winchester reamer, dies and brass while at the same time ensuring that high-pressure factory ammo won't fit. The 225 rim is unique, you may want to cut the rim recess for the 30-30 rim and use that brass as a basis although it's somewhat of a hassle. The Donaldson Wasp is anotheer splendid choice except for the greater expense and case-forming hassle. Been there & done that on several of these & similar and can give more details if wanted.
Regards, Joe
Another possibility is a .218 Mashburn Bee. The blown out Bee case should give over 3000 fps with a 40 grain bullet, a bit less with a 45. With the boattailed polytipped bullets of today, the ballistic coefficients on such bullets are significantly higher than the earlier styles with which the Bee was originally loaded. Not a .22-250 or a .220 Swift, but a reasonable 250 yard varmint rifle.
Posted By: tomc Re: BSA thick wall Martini advice wanted. - 04/10/09 05:55 PM
Joe
I realy like my 30/30 wesson on a 310 BSA Used a barrel from a 308 tactical rem 700. handy size. My 600 350Rem mag handy also. I want to do a 35 cal ss in either rem mag or 35 whelen.I have a very acurate rcbs 180gr sil mould. Maby even a 357 max.
tom
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com