doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Harry Eales Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/14/09 02:14 PM
A very nice range of classic British and American Rifles. Some look too good to be true finish wise. See :- http://www.pugsguns.com/findCategory.action?id=2

Don't look at the prices, click on any rifle pictured and another dozen or more pics of it will appear. Have tissues handy for either tears or drool

Harry
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/14/09 02:17 PM
Harry, Pugs is well known to be a high-priced dealer. If you ever get over here, a trip to Duluth is well worth it. Lots of other things to see than just Pugs, but his shop is on an old bank on the back side of town. An interesting, and improbable place.

Brent
PS. A really cool new contestant for the ugliest gun of all time.. http://www.pugsguns.com/findItem.action?id=1702
Posted By: waterman Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/14/09 04:23 PM
About 6 years ago, a local dealer & friend had a Triplett & Scott carbine stamped "KENTUCKY". Remember, they were Civil War carbines made in 1865, just when breech loaders & metallic cartridges became really practical. It's personal, but I did not find the T&S to be ugly. Odd, yes, but not really ugly. It handled well, came to the shoulder pretty naturally, and once you got the hang of flipping the action sideways, I think you could have fired it about as rapidly as a trapdoor. We did not shoot it, .50 Spencer rimfires being somewhat costly. I think the T&S later sold for $650, or maybe less. How much would you pay for something that has little historical value, that you can't shoot without going to extremes, and that is basically a wall hanger?

My nomination for the ugliest commonly encountered gun is the Swiss Vetterli.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/14/09 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: BrentD
Harry, Pugs is well known to be a high-priced dealer. If you ever get over here, a trip to Duluth is well worth it. Lots of other things to see than just Pugs, but his shop is on an old bank on the back side of town. An interesting, and improbable place.

Brent
PS. A really cool new contestant for the ugliest gun of all time.. http://www.pugsguns.com/findItem.action?id=1702

Hello Brent,
Despite 10 years on the WWW I've never heard of 'Pugs' before today. I only came across his site doing my monthly search for Sharps Borchardts for sale on various sites.

Harry
Posted By: eightbore Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/14/09 05:52 PM
Serious collectors of Parker shotguns have an interest in the Triplett and Scott rifle since it is one of the first firearm products of the Parker enterprise.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/14/09 06:46 PM
when i hit it big i will take the 10gauge elephant gun aka "ole' english smoke pipe".
Posted By: Boltman Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/15/09 02:13 AM
No Ross rifles

I have been to Puglisi's before. Interesting place.
Posted By: stu c Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/15/09 06:06 AM
Nice site. Thanks for pointing it out.
While on this subject, where else do you go to look at photos of nice rifles on the web? I cruise Hallowells, Champlins and the gun rooms at Cabelas, Griffin&Howe, H&H and Westley Richards.

What other good sites are out there?

cheers,
- stu
Posted By: eightbore Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/15/09 01:30 PM
The best one by far is Dave Weber's "Classic and Custom Single Barrel Sporting Rifles" site.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/15/09 01:59 PM
here you go stu. take a peek at that knockabout ww greener in .318westley richards kaliber...
looks like a solid ango piece built on military mauser action. just the thing for 'neo' african setler.
i know next to nothing about english finished german-style mausers (front sight reminds me of some american military rifle) but that one looks quite affordable to me. ammo might be available from wolfgang romney as he loads current westley richards stuff.
Posted By: Boltman Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/15/09 02:43 PM
I looked at about 20 rifles on this site. Amazing. Had to go change my shirt because the drool stains were so bad.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/15/09 05:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Boltman
I looked at about 20 rifles on this site. Amazing. Had to go change my shirt because the drool stains were so bad.

Heh,heh.

I did warn you tissues were needed. lol.

Harry
Posted By: stu c Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/16/09 06:59 PM
eightbore, have to agree. There's been some pretty awesome stuff posted here thanks to M. Perov, SDH and others.

Jaegermeister, thanks for the Schwandt link. I have visited there before but didn't have it bookmarked and had forgotten about it. It's a good one for sure.

Just today I came across this site that someone else had posted a link to on another site - http://www.feine-jagdwaffen.de/cms/index.php?id=6,0,0,1,0,0 Some fantastic rifles photographed there.

cheers,
- stu
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/16/09 09:09 PM
Holy Cow !! I love the .222 Remington Magnum Mauser on that site.
Posted By: BobM Re: Whatever rifle you like, look here. - 05/17/09 02:37 AM
Brent
There was a master engraver NE of Ames that did engraving for several years for Pugs. Unfortunately she stopped doing all engraving when her son was killed in a accident. Her work was outstanding. Stopped and visited with her on a few occasions. She was studying the facial expression of game birds so she could get her engravings more realistic. Her work truly looked like a photo that was transposed onto the gun.
Bob
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com