doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Michael Petrov Something you don’t see everyday. - 04/26/11 08:17 PM

It’s a .250-3000 Savage Niedner barrel Sedgley stock and action.

Posted By: Remington40x Re: Something you don’t see everyday. - 04/26/11 08:22 PM
Very nice, and chambered for one of my favorite cartridges. Is the other scope base mounted under receiver sight or out on the barrel?
There is another block on the barrel.

I'm also told that a shade over an inch was removed from the action.
Fantastic to think of the work that went into creating that "short action".

That is a true custom work

Michael, thanks for the stuff you post. I don't jump into many discussions, but I read and learn from them all.

Jerry
F.Y.I. My grandson is using it now for a painting but I have one of their MANNLICHERS iN 300 Savage in a short action. It must have been a "special order" as I have the original Mannlicher factory booklet with it marked .300 SAV in FOUNTAIN PEN.Looks to be unfired, with a Zeiss ZEIKLEIN in a mount I've never seen, but European for sure because of those damned shallow and narrow WINDAGE adjustment screws made for turnscrews. Grrrrr! Jerry
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Something you don’t see everyday. - 04/27/11 01:02 PM
That rifle is the stuff dreams are made of. Thanks Michael for sharing. Anybody got a spare Niedner .250 barrel laying around? Ha ha.
Posted By: LRF Re: Something you don’t see everyday. - 04/27/11 04:22 PM
Michael,
Do you know the date the custom work work was completed?

Thanks
I think the Niedner barrel dates to around 1938-39.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Something you don’t see everyday. - 04/28/11 11:10 AM
That is a nice rifle. Love that sight.
Posted By: LRF Re: Something you don’t see everyday. - 04/28/11 08:39 PM
It is a very nice rifle, no doubt; however the question I am wondering about is why if you went to all the work to shorten the action (which as most of you know is no small job with guaranteed rsults) would you then have such a so so bolt handle? By the late 1930's the makers were very much aware of improved bolt handle designs. Of course there may be a number of reasons why it was as it is, but just my comment. Maybe the customer wanted it that way, the reasons could be many. I guess I am just speaking to the concept of total design. I do look at things different then maybe people doing gun work for customers and trying to make a living at it. I respect that. Probably why I don't do work for others just myself and then I give it away. IMHO
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com