doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: prairie ghost English tang sights - 04/28/11 01:10 PM
Does anybody know of a source for vintage english style sporting tang sights for use on single shot rifles. They seem to be rather scarce. Or were the english inclined to use marbles and lyman sights of the day? Thanks.
Kelly
Posted By: Alvin Linden #1 Re: English tang sights - 04/28/11 01:56 PM
www.jeffsoutfitters.com has a Ballard Style among others. Not truly English but similar. Hope this helps. Jerry
Posted By: whitey Re: English tang sights - 04/28/11 02:49 PM
Check E-bay in England sometimes one will show up. Whitey
Posted By: 38_Cal Re: English tang sights - 04/28/11 04:40 PM
My Charles Lancaster .360-2 1/4" break open single uses a Lyman tang sight. No sign of any other sight on the rifle.

David
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: English tang sights - 04/28/11 05:06 PM
A page from the Westley Richards 1912 Centennial Catalog showing and describing a Lyman cocking piece sight and a folding tang sight of the type associated with German and Continental rifles. Also in this catalog is a WR target type tang sight with Miniature Martini.
1926-27 Manton & Co cataglog has two pages of Lyman sights, mostly tang and Vickers and BSA target tang sights.
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: English tang sights - 04/28/11 06:11 PM
The reason I ask is I am building a S. Earle wesson sporting rifle and would really prefer a tang peep sight vs. open 'v' sights. I am trying to maintain an english style to the whole affair. Any suggestions?
Kelly
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: English tang sights - 04/28/11 08:01 PM
Why not look for or copy a Frank Wesson sight?

http://www.steveearleproducts.com/longrangesights.html

Posted By: whitey Re: English tang sights - 04/28/11 10:49 PM
If anyone should see one of those folding. WR rear sights.That (folds into the wrist area of the stock.I could use one for a WR restoration project. Whitey
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: English tang sights - 04/28/11 11:43 PM
The wesson sights are beautifully made but since this is primarily a hunting rifle I was after something a little more compact. There is an A Henry .360 on Kirby Holt's site that has a sight something like I am after. Does anybody recognize the sight or the maker?
Kelly
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: English tang sights - 04/29/11 12:51 AM
I have a custom made sight and base that would probably fit your needs but would cost about a third of the Wesson price and would require professional installation that I am not interested in doing. Please contact me only if you are serious...
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: English tang sights - 04/29/11 01:40 AM
Steven, please send a photo to my email. I am intrested.
Kelly
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: English tang sights - 04/29/11 03:49 AM
I haven't a clue who you are or how serious..
you can contact me if you are interested.
Finished sight as mounted on custom rifle.

Posted By: CJO Re: English tang sights - 04/29/11 04:10 AM
HI Steve...please check your PM's, just sent you one

CJ
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: English tang sights - 04/29/11 12:04 PM
Steve, I sent you a PM.
Posted By: C. Kofoed Re: English tang sights - 05/16/11 06:45 PM
Nice sight, Steven.

I have a sight exactly like the one shown in the WR catalog. I believe it was made by Mannlicher Schoenauer.

The Volk in east-central Europe have wisely aligned themselves and their rifles to the "Diopter".

Best,

C.
Posted By: joelblack88 Re: English tang sights - 05/30/11 06:18 PM
This is a page from an A. G. Parker catalog. Parker and Parker Hale supplied most of the sights for British rifles. Lancaster, H&H, Cogswell & Harrison all cataloged both English and U.S. sights.

Posted By: prairie ghost Re: English tang sights - 06/03/11 02:03 AM
I am a bit amazed that the English were using American tang sights and do not seem to have developed anything comparable, especially for the medium bores. Does anybody have knowledge of any proprietary designs?s
Posted By: SKB Re: English tang sights - 06/03/11 02:27 PM
Lots stuff for bolt guns, Rigby peep etc. I can not think of a proprietary English tang sight for a Single shot or double. Even Holland just modified a Lyman to work in the tang of their rifles.
Posted By: joelblack88 Re: English tang sights - 06/06/11 09:37 PM
Here are English Tang sights:

Posted By: prairie ghost Re: English tang sights - 06/07/11 11:47 PM
I am starting to understand; no offense to our English friends. BTW, a flip up as posted by SDH on ebay right now for those interested. Search vintage sights
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: English tang sights - 06/08/11 12:26 AM
Sorry. Search tang sights
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com