doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Michael Petrov Were you the high bidder? - 10/10/11 05:29 PM
If you were the high bidder on lot 1116 at Poulin Auction Company please contact me at mjpetrov@acsalaska.net.

http://poulinantiques.auctionflex.com/sh...m=1&lang=En
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/10/11 05:58 PM
WOW!
Just color me envious, Joe
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/10/11 08:53 PM
Very Germanic looking, to me. Carving, forend key, butt shape and checkering, sling, barrel...
Great rifle, too bad about the cartridge.
Posted By: 1878 Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/10/11 10:06 PM
What is the purpose of the screw through the serial number? A takedown of some kind?
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/10/11 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: 1878
What is the purpose of the screw through the serial number? A takedown of some kind?

I have one done the same way, I suspect it was for a takedown.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/11/11 12:18 AM
It is definitely Germanic looking but the proportions look odd even so. Very very heavy butt stock and then everything in front of the receiver looks spindly in comparison. I wonder how it balances in the hand?

I wonder if the proportions are screwed up by the photography somehow?
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/11/11 12:27 AM
looks like a Lyman 144 on the tang
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/12/11 01:26 AM
Maybe a dealer bought it and we will see it for sale in the near future.

I hope someone did not buy it for the engraved action and takes it apart to "Restore".

I'm not sure if I should say anything about the rifle at this point or just wait and see.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/12/11 02:28 AM
Certainly, I would be curious about what is interesting about that particular rifle. Why should you NOT say something? Honest opinion and knowledge is always interesting and justifiable.

The checkering/carving looks pretty unique yet familiar. The rest of the rifle is a bit "off" to me, but then we all know that is just me.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/12/11 02:52 PM
I rather like it, but as stated earlier the caliber would have been the deal breaker.
Posted By: waterman Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/12/11 04:08 PM
.25 Stevens? Is that the 25 Stevens Rimfire? Or is it the .25-20 Single Shot? Sometimes that is called the 25 Stevens. Sometimes the 25-21 and 25-25 are also listed as 25 Stevens.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/12/11 04:24 PM
I guess I would reconsider were that the case. Moot point though at this point.
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/16/11 06:06 PM
Mike,
You might have made the contact @ 24 hour..
Good Luck!
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/16/11 10:16 PM
Mike, Thanks, I've had a couple PM's with him so hope it works out. If I have this figured out correctly over 900 people have viewed my post on seven forums.

As a last resort I'll drop a note to the auction company. Sometime this works, other times not so much.

One time a large well known auction company had a Niedner rifle for sale. I recognized the rifle and as a matter of fact I had (still have) a pile of letters between Niedner and the owner discussing this rifle. I asked that they contact the owner, they told be they would be happy to auction off the letters. I still have the letters and the owner does not have the history. (it's a smooth-bore 1886 Winchester)

I've also had a good experience, I wrote a letter to the company that auctioned the John Amber estate and asked them to forward a letter to the man who bought the Stewart Edward White rifle. They did, we became friends and twenty some years later I bought the rifle.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Were you the high bidder? - 10/30/11 12:35 AM
I've done all I know how to do finding the new owner and have come up with nothing.

The short answer is it was a .25-21 by Fred Adolph and pictured in one of Whelen books.

At this time I just don't know if it was Whelen's or not, he did write about shooting a .25-21.

The rifle has a new buttstock that looks a lot like that guy from Dowagiac.

Without a new owner that I might ask questions of that's about as far as I can go.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com