doublegunshop.com - home
In my spare time I'm still trying to learn what I can about this rifle.

A couple of things that seems, for lack of a better word, different on this rifle is the use of a hook on the barrel but retained the military swivel on the rear.

The other thing that I have not seen before is the shaping of the forend leaving some of the grasping groove.

Anything else that stands out?

The bottom of the grip checkering seems unusually long and it appears as though there is a good bit of the top of the wrist that is not checkered. It looks unusual to me anyway.
I'll try to find a better picture of the top of the wrist.

The forend checkering with the two panels pointing up seems a little different to me as well. I just can't remember this pattern on other stuff.

You have seen orders of magnitude more than I, so if it looks unusual to you, it must be. The long checkering down the belly reminds me of a mid 19th century English gun.

The butt looks short too, which may accentuate the length of the checkering. Does it have a particularly short pull?
The buttstock is still the issue length with the original buttplate.
I've brought in a suspect for Q&A and if I could get some better pictures we could have a line-up.

If you have the 1995 Guns & Ammo Annual and a scanner you would be a big help.
Michael,
I have the 1995 annual. (And my wife thinks I am crazy for keeping all these old magazines!)
Are you interested in the "...1910 Paul Wolff conversion for Merritt Adamson.." that is shown on page 93 in the article by Jack Lott?
Let me know how I can help.
Lou M
Originally Posted By: LouM
Michael,
I have the 1995 annual. (And my wife thinks I am crazy for keeping all these old magazines!)
Are you interested in the "...1910 Paul Wolff conversion for Merritt Adamson.." that is shown on page 93 in the article by Jack Lott?
Let me know how I can help.
Lou M

Thanks Lou,
I have a poor copy of that article, I'll post below the picture I have. looking for a clear picture, or at least better than what I have.

The rifle in the article was done by Paul Wolff. Unfortunately the article contains no information on Wolff.

I have very little information on Paul Wolff. He was reported as working with Dyes & Cline Los Angeles California before and after 1920.

There was a sporting goods store in LA called Cline & Cline. I don't know if Dyes & Cline was later or a different one altogether.

I have not verified this but it seems that Dyas- Cline became Cline-Cline about 1913.

It's Dyas not Dyes. One little letter sure makes a difference ;-).

Getting interesting now, both William H.(Billy)Wilshire and Joesph Singer worked at Dyas & Cline.

It's late I'm seeing double but it looks like the Wundhammer shop was less than three blocks from Dyas & Cline.
Thanks to Lou we have a better picture.

Back when they were converting Krags to sporting rifles there were a lot that had wood added for a high comb and a pistol grip.

Back to work on Pachmayr, the reference I found to Joesph Singer working at Dyas & Cline is a newspaper article from 1910.

When Pachmayr first came to LA I have read that he worked for Singer so now I need to dig a little deeper.
Back when they were converting Krags to sporting rifles there were a lot that had wood added for a high comb and a pistol grip.

Funny you should mention that. I saw a Krag sporter conversion at a local show today that had been pieced to add both the higher comb and the pistol grip. If I recall correctly, there were at least 4 pieces of wood spliced into the original stock. Very well done, but no way to tell if they were simply glued or had been pinned as well. The seller was asking less than $400 for the rifle and I was tempted, but I'd gone looking for something specific and didn't want to spend the money on anything but my target (Browning Hi-Power, Belgian, 60s era - which I did locate and am considering).
Buy it!
I agree, buy it!

A few months ago there was a nice one like that on GunBroker, I'm not sure if it sold or not.

There were a lot of them done that way but only a few show professional workmanship.
(I meant the HP ;>)
Hard to believe but another one just crossed my desk. A gentleman sent me some photos of a rifle he would like to identify and this one was next to it.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com