doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: montenegrin Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/22/13 01:08 AM
There appeared an interesting Hartmann & Weiss SS rifle on eGun (Germany). I have no interest but I guess some of you wouldn't mind seeing it...
eGun #4154615

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/22/13 02:12 AM
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4154615

H&W
Posted By: postoak Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/22/13 02:17 AM
Interesting Rifle, but WTF on the 2.5-10x52 mounted on a .458 Win. ???
Posted By: Ryan McNabb Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/22/13 12:51 PM
Germans. cool I guess for those 600 yard shots on cape buffalo.
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/22/13 05:29 PM
If you only have one shot, you better take your buff at a healthy distance... Cheers, Jani
Posted By: Kutter Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/22/13 08:20 PM
Jumbos probably don't wander any closer to the AutoBahn than 500m or so, even on the hunting preserves.
Posted By: xausa Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/22/13 11:19 PM
Back in 1970, when I was attending a university in Germany, I walked into a gun shop and was amazed to see a Model 70 Winchester in .375 H&H for sale on the used gun rack, equipped with an 2.5-8X variable power scope featuring a huge objective lens. When I inquired about the reason for this apparantly incongruous outfit, I was told that it was used for hunting wild boar by moonlight from a "Hochsitz" or free standing elevated blind. I can only assume that this combination was used in the same way and that the scope was chosen not for its powerful magnification, but for the light gathering qualities of the objective lens.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/23/13 12:16 AM
Very fine looking rifle indeed. I would like to use it from an elevated stand for feral pigs in TX- I agree, a one- shot rifle in .458Win for Cape Buffalo- Nicht zer gut.. But can you imagine what a Hornady Dangerous Game 500 grain solid would do to the porker? Wow--
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/23/13 03:07 PM
Xausa,
Was that at the University at Wuerzburg? During the 70s,I had a Forester friend in the Spessarts that used a 375 on Red Deer.He also needed a scope useable near dark.Such an outfit as this isn't "out of the way"for this use.He reported that a 375 kills Red Deer "good".
Mike
Posted By: xausa Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/23/13 05:32 PM
Mike,

The University I attended in 1969-70 was in Freiburg, which was blessed with two shooting clubs, one with a skeet and trap field and a 50 meter running boar set-up, and the other with a 50 meter smallbore range with automatic target return and an Olympic Rapid Fire Pistol range. I belonged to both and thought I had died and gone to heaven. I could shoot skeet with my Perazzi Skeet 1, running boar with my BRNO 602 .375 H&H, smallbore three position with my Anschütz 1407 and rapid fire pistol with my Walther OSP.

The local gun store just sold me the guns and since I was an American, for some reason I didn't need a Waffenerwerbschein (firearm license). I just shot them, took the BRNO to Bulgaria for driven boar, and at the end of my stay turned them back in to the store and had them shipped to my gunsmith in Tennessee. However, both the Perazzi and the BRNO came from Waffen-Frankonia in Würzburg, and the 602 was modified to my specifications, with the barrel shortened to 22" from 26" and re-crowned, and the front sight relocated.

I also ordered my Krieghoff Teck O/U double rifle, .458 WM, with interchangeable barrels in .375 H&H and 20 gauge/76mm through them, and they shipped it along to me when it arrived in the spring of 1971, just in time for my first safari in October.

Quite a far cry from the mound of paperwork required at both ends now!

Bill Warren
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/23/13 10:47 PM
Bill,
Did you have a Jagdschein? If so,it was the Waffenerwerbschin.Waffen-Frankonia(now Waffen-Jagd)was wonderful,one of my favorite places. When I came back(in 74 and 82)I just had to submit a Form 6a. That was before both Governments turned anti-gun.
Mike
Posted By: xausa Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/24/13 03:17 PM
Mike,

Nope, no Jagdschein. I could have gotten a temporary Jagdschein, good for a week or so, but I only had one opportunity to hunt in Germany, and that was with a friend who was a forestry student. He assured me that as long as he was with me, everything would be OK.

At the time I was still a captain USMCR and a former member of various service shooting teams, which may have had some effect on the situation.

We were in such close proximity to France that the store manager was used to selling firearms to French customers who would then take them with them back to France. I never knew whether it was legitimately or illegitimately. I guess I fell under the same category as they did, in the eyes of the dealer.

Bill
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/24/13 03:40 PM
Bill,
It seems that you had a really good time. If you had been able to stay longer, you would have found that hunting from mid May until the end of Dec. is great fun.Maybe we can get together and share "war stories".
Mike
Posted By: xausa Re: Hartmann & Weiss on eGun - 01/24/13 09:30 PM
Mike,

Sounds good to me. The latch string is out, as we say in West Tennessee. Would "East Alabama" be around Anniston/Fort Benning?

Bill Warren
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com