doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Michael Petrov Anyone want to take a shot at this? - 03/10/13 01:21 AM

Here is a picture of the three barrel set, .400-Whelen, .35-Whelen and 30-06.

Posted By: KWill Re: Anyone want to take a shot at this? - 03/10/13 02:19 AM
I'm assuming C.W.L from Delaware.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Anyone want to take a shot at this? - 03/10/13 02:37 AM
maybe WL deC ?
Posted By: waterman Re: Anyone want to take a shot at this? - 03/10/13 03:14 AM
I put W.L. deC?? into several searches in Ancestry.com. I came up with possible surnames of deCou, or deCoit or deCalf, all scattered across Canada and in the northern parts of Michigan and N. Dakota, all places where someone might own a pre-war custom hunting rifle.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Anyone want to take a shot at this? - 03/10/13 04:28 AM
I'd go with W.L DE C. also.
Given the layout and the overlap of the letters.
I think the DE portion was done in caps just as a convenience and to make it look right

There's several ways the DEC can appear in a last name.
De C,,deC,,DeC,,de C
I don't know if that makes much difference when searching the universe on the net for names or not.

Then again it could be WLC with the DE having a completely unrelated meaning to the initials of the name.
I ran across the monogram at the top several years ago that was on a Griffin & Howe rifle (very early) three barrel set.

Today I was asked about this G&H rifle, the only thing my notes of old show as I found a W. L. De Camp but have no idea if this is the person or not. I need to try to find the owner (he may be on this board) of the three-barrel set and maybe by now he knows who the owner was.

Lots of good information, please keep it coming. Another day another mystery.

Posted By: waterman Re: Anyone want to take a shot at this? - 03/10/13 07:45 AM
I went back to Ancestry.com again. William L DeCamp, 1901-1993, Cincinnati, Ohio. That fits the letters, but Mr. DeCamp worked as an assemblyman in an automobile factory. In the 1940 Census, he had a wife & 3 kids. All that would suggest that this Mr. DeCamp is not the man who commissioned a high-end G&H rifle.

There is more than one L.W. DeCamp. Sometimes people reverse their given names.
Posted By: grogel Re: Anyone want to take a shot at this? - 03/10/13 04:29 PM
No lack of sighting options on that one smile

A possibility, In the book "Venetia, avenger of the Lusitania" you will find a chapter on Lieut W.C. DeClamp, U.S.N. along with a photo on page 20 here.
Posted By: A10ACN Re: Anyone want to take a shot at this? - 03/12/13 10:23 PM
How about some more on the three barrel set?? (Drool!)
The three barrel set is an early rifle back when they had the numbers assigned to blocks of calibers. Although made at the same time you can see where the numbers progressed.

The,
.30-06 is No. 145
.35-Whelen is No. 162
.400-Whelenis No. 226

It has a Noske side mount with a (I think) Hensoldt scope, a Lyman 48 and a Howe-Whelen sight.

I wish I could remember who has it now because I would like to ask a couple questions.
Posted By: A10ACN Re: Anyone want to take a shot at this? - 03/13/13 11:35 PM
That's so HOT!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com