doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: grogel Krag sporter - 06/19/13 12:21 AM
This is my first Krag, a friends love of them is infectious and Im looking forward to shooting it. Its not a professional job, but I would say it was a skilled amateur.

Ill need to get proper fitting screws...

The inletting looks machine done to me, I can see the swirl lines under the trigger guard and the rest is very flat and clean.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Krag sporter - 06/19/13 02:38 AM
Great looking rifle, I like that cheekpiece and the Niedner butt plate. What does the engraving say? Is the forend tip ebony, bakelite or horn?
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Krag sporter - 06/19/13 11:58 AM
Indeed a nice Krag. I like the lines of it a lot. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Looks like ebony to me. Bakelite? Bakelite was (is) a laminated material consisting of cloth impregnated with resin. I don't know how it entered our lexicon as an alternate name for hard rubber used to make butt plates and pistol grips in days gone by. Bakelite (and its modern counterpart Garrolite) is still used in certain electrical constructs, and as such finds its way into my laboratory workshop.
Posted By: garyg Re: Krag sporter - 06/19/13 01:35 PM
The tip is ebony. I had to scratch the inside to see if it was wood because it is polished so smooth I wondered myself what it was.

The only marking I found is on the inside of the trigger guard, it reads, "6-1-52 F.S.H.".
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Krag sporter - 06/19/13 02:18 PM
Gary,

Have your tried to trace the ER Olson name?

Ken
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Krag sporter - 06/19/13 02:53 PM
Checkering at least looks "professional" to me.
Posted By: garyg Re: Krag sporter - 06/19/13 03:17 PM
I have not looked into the name. The seller told me this was his grandfather's rifle and the name on the side was a friend of his grandfathers. Ill email him and ask if he knows any more about Mr. Olson.

The checkering is straight but in some places its not quite finished out to the borders. In the photo of the barrel you can see where the forarm checkering stops before it makes it to the forward most tip of the outline.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Krag sporter - 06/19/13 04:01 PM
Compare it with the Stoeger Krags in old Shooters Bibles. Not all of them are alike, but yours looks like it could be one of the variation. Earlier Stoeger Peerless conversions used the wide Winchester style swivels (I forget the brand name) but later ones probably used lesser quality swivels like yours. Post a picture of your grip cap and I'll compare it to my Stoeger Krag. By the way, mine has a plain metal buttplate. The Neidner style was probably extra cost.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Krag sporter - 06/19/13 04:10 PM
Yeah, now I see that. Looks to me like a professional checkerer working to a price point, maybe on a stock production line. Used to see some of that on standard checkered factory guns like Savage 99s and Remingtons.
Posted By: grogel Re: Krag sporter - 06/19/13 10:24 PM
Here is the grip cap,

The rear swivel,

And the inletting for the trigger guard,

There is no front swivel or barrel band, that is something it will be needing.
Posted By: garyg Re: Krag sporter - 09/21/13 07:32 PM
I have a cosmetic question. This Krag has nothing holding it into the stock but the two trigger guard screws. I planned on making a barrel band from a barrel band sling mount.

I picked up a barrel band and screw from a Savage 340. It would be much less work but is kind of thin, and fits the barrel a little farther up (about the middle of the forarm checkering) than where I pictured the band to be.

Three questions....

Ive never seen one up close, is the typical barrel band made of thin stock or are they usually a little thicker.

Where do the typically sit in relation to the forarm? (middle, toward the tip)

Would I want to find a screw echelon for the underside or is just the screw head enough?

here are pics of the band in question.

This is about where it would sit in relation to the forend.

I like this rifle and don't want to be bubba.
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Krag sporter - 09/21/13 09:42 PM
IMO such band should sit tight in the stock but let the barrel float free when shooting. So it seems that you could assembly the band a tad forward, maybe just in front of the checkering.
Posted By: BobSmalser Re: Krag sporter - 09/22/13 12:51 AM
I'm looking for an old, sporterized Krag myself, as they have a long history in our family, here seen in 1935 at a picnic celebrating a successful Oregon Mulie hunt by a couple generations of ranch women.

Just an opinion, but I don't believe that light, stamped band matches the rifle very well in either construction or quality. Were this rifle one of mine, I'd dovetail in a storebought dovetail filler block to the underside of the barrel beneath the forestock, drilled and tapped for a swivel base.

Otherwise I'd spring for a milled band. These are 200-yard-max deer rifles, not thousand-yard target guns. Accuracy isn't a big issue.

http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifles-custom-prestige.php
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com