doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: WJL Krag sporter ideas - 07/13/13 01:34 PM
It looks like I'll be acquiring a good Krag action suitable for building a rifle. I'm thinking a nice, trim, light rifle for hunting in the heavy Louisiana woods. Easy to carry, quick to the shoulder, and quick to cycle. Perhaps a full stock with 20" barrel and iron sights or a G&H style rifle like the one that gets posted on this site occasionally. I'm open to ideas and suggestions and would appreciate any pictures of decent Krag sporters or other rifles that might serve as a model.

Jerry Liles
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Krag sporter ideas - 07/13/13 05:11 PM
Make it simple,

Posted By: WJL Re: Krag sporter ideas - 07/13/13 11:27 PM
Simple is always better. Walnut stock with G&H prewar type cheek piece, point checkering pattern, rust blue, plain steel grip cap, steel or red rubber recoil pad, receiver sight, and sling swivel studs. No more and no less. Much like the good looking rifle you posted. I am thinking shorter barrel and full length stock.

Thanks for the picture.

Jerry Liles
Posted By: grogel Re: Krag sporter ideas - 07/14/13 01:26 AM

On this subject of Krag sporters, does anyone still make barrel bands?
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Krag sporter ideas - 07/14/13 04:35 AM
PS:

The pictured Krag is a Niedner-Shelhamer.
Posted By: A10ACN Re: Krag sporter ideas - 07/14/13 06:56 AM
Lust.
Posted By: WJL Re: Krag sporter ideas - 07/17/13 07:03 PM
A wonderful rifle. Just beautiful.

I've just acquired a stock blank from the Richters and Steve has an action so the project is a go. Still looking for good pictures of other custom Krags particularly pre WW II for inspiration. We will certainly be following Michael's advice and "keep it simple". I appreciate he left out the stupid part.

Looks like it's going to have a 20" barrel with full length stock, metal forend tip rather than schnabel, stocked for offhand with iron sights. I suspect I'll keep it a .30-40 but, maybe a .35 Krag?

Comments and suggestions are solicited.

Jerry Liles
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com