doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rocky mtn bill High wall firing pin - 08/06/13 03:22 PM
I seem to recall but can't find a post explaining a simple repair to a high wall firing pin. It may have come from JD Steele shortly before he died. My problem is to replace the tip and maintain its temper while fastening it securely in place. Any help will be much appreciated.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: High wall firing pin - 08/06/13 09:04 PM
Bill,

Not sure what JD's technique was. But it is possible to drill the pin (on a lathe) and insert the appropriate size(press fit)drill rod. No tempering required.

Regards,
Ken
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: High wall firing pin - 08/06/13 10:25 PM
Bill,

I tried to find my high-wall parts but no luck. I did the the very thing Ken said and I'm sure when I pressed it in there was a little red loctite.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: High wall firing pin - 08/06/13 10:42 PM
Speaking of high-walls now that I have lost my friend and gunsmith I am clueless as who could barrel a high-wall for me.

I need someone who UNDERSTANDS how to to find the proper placement for the main (flat) spring. I can even supply the fixture for this.

With all the down time I have been thinking of all the projects that I have backed up and it's daunting. Any Borchardt folks you would recommend to install a set of Zischang DST? I know we all look at these things different and if you would like to make private recommendations that would be fine.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: High wall firing pin - 08/07/13 01:31 AM
MP,
Without a doubt one of the very best persons to rebarrel a highwall is right here (at least sometimes). Glenn Fewless understands how to barrel a highwall like few other folks. He can fix your pin too. Lots of methods for doing that. Drilling it out and replacing the tit with a roller bearing, S7 Steel, or spring wire are all well recommended by many accomplished shooters.

Brent
Posted By: Harris Highwall Re: High wall firing pin - 08/07/13 01:37 AM
use stress proof or fatigue proof steel
no heat treat required
drill rod ( o1 or a2 etc) is too brittle and will fail over time

I prefer to set up in lathe (made a 5c collet with clearance for leg of firing pin) and face back around 1/8 inch then drill hole bigger than firing pin and make press fit pin
with shoulder same diameter as old firing pin and then smallest diameter to go through breach face ... simpler than it sounds and very strong.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: High wall firing pin - 08/07/13 03:38 AM
Originally Posted By: BrentD
MP, Without a doubt one of the very best persons to rebarrel a highwall is right here (at least sometimes). Glenn Fewless understands how to barrel a highwall like few other folks. He can fix your pin too. Lots of methods for doing that. Drilling it out and replacing the tit with a roller bearing, S7 Steel, or spring wire are all well recommended by many accomplished shooters.
Brent

Thanks I had thought of Glenn a while back and now that you reminded me a good idea.

My pin is fine ;-) as a matter of fact my high-wall action has a Mann-Niedner pin.

Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: High wall firing pin - 08/07/13 02:29 PM
Piano wire will work for you virtuoso's. smile
I like like M-N pin!!!
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: High wall firing pin - 08/07/13 07:09 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I cut off the old tip, drilled out it's base, fitted a new tip of drill rod, and Loctited it in place. When it fails, I'll follow Harris' advice re alloy.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: High wall firing pin - 08/09/13 06:43 AM
I have used RCBS decaping pins for replacement firing pins a trick I got from Bob Snapp.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: High wall firing pin - 08/12/13 03:25 PM
Drawing by John Wills.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: High wall firing pin - 08/12/13 03:27 PM
Drawing taken from the pin in this rifle.

Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: High wall firing pin - 08/12/13 07:40 PM
MP,

Is a firing pin return spring used with the MN conversion?

Thanks,
Ken
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: High wall firing pin - 08/12/13 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken Nelson
MP, Is a firing pin return spring used with the MN conversion? Thanks, Ken

Ken, Good catch I never even noticed that and yes, there has to be a return spring.
Posted By: Poorhouse Re: High wall firing pin - 08/14/13 06:48 PM
Sounds like you have a successful repair. For future reference Wyoming Armory is advertising "indestructible High Wall firing pins" for sale @$40 plus shipping.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: High wall firing pin - 08/15/13 05:07 PM
Thanks again for further suggestions. I think the Mann- Neidner firing pin is the best solution of all. Years ago I knew a gunsmith, now deceased, who fitted the pin and bushings from the Browning "high wall" into the Winchester. The result was essentially the M-N firing pin from ready made parts. When I built a high wall .30-06, I used the M-N pin. I'll try to post some pictures of that project soon.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com