doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: johnr Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/08/14 03:29 PM
Hope it's ok to post this, it's later than the rifles I usually see here,picked up this pawn shop 03 custom today, Really well done, built on a high number 1918 receiver, Timney trigger and safety, McGowen barrel in 35 Whelen Improved.
Wood is very well finished with excellent checkering, bluing also very well done. Whoever did the work knew what they were doing.
Shop said it had been built in the 80's and the woodsmith was from Woodwardville MD with the last name of Fleming, can not find any information on him, Looks to be a Richards rough stock that has been expertly finished, inletting is very tight and even. Metal work supposedly done by Dempseys Gun and Taxidermy in MD,there again can find no information
Does not look like any corners were cut when this rifle was made. If anyone has any information on the smiths I would appreciate it.I do hope to find a between the wars American rifle some day, for now this will have to do.

Posted By: danross70 Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/08/14 06:55 PM
Looks like quality work, but the proof will be in the shooting. Hope you already reload!
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/08/14 07:56 PM
From the styling, I wonder if it was made earlier than you think. The roll comb and angled forearm cap look more like the 1960s to me.

I don't recognize either of the smiths you've named, but hopefully someone will know them. At least they signed the rifle, so you've got a great starting point for your research.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/09/14 11:19 AM
I was wondering the same thing, Terry. Certainly appears to be quality work but by the 80's the "classic" look was pretty much back in vogue, except for Roy Weatherby's shiny canoe paddles. 'Course, in the late 80's there might have been a successful, middle aged sort of fella who wanted a custom rifle as he remembered them from his youth or young man days. Ain't this just another example of "if only it could talk".
Posted By: eightbore Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/09/14 12:57 PM
Richard Dempsey is the taxidermy guy, don't know about gunsmithing. He is off Cabin Creek Road and Route 258 in Anne Arundel County, don't know the town. As far as Woodwardsville goes, google says there are only 27 structures in that town. Knocking on doors and talking to older residents should get your guy very quickly. Good luck. Nice gun.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/10/14 04:47 PM
Dempsey (or his son) does my deer butchering. Hopefully I'll have a reason to see him this fall and I'll inquire re: past gunsmithing.
Posted By: johnr Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/12/14 12:15 AM
Thanks Gary, hope you get a deer and would appreciate any info you might find out.
Someone on another forum suggested pulling it apart, the McGowen barrel may be dated on the underside, I'm a little leery of doing that as the inletting is so tight I'm afraid of doing damage.
Terry, it might be earlier, going by what was relayed by the shop and that could be wrong.
Eightbore, thanks for the info on Woodwardsville, I had never heard of it and I've lived in MD most of my life, shop was in AA county,same as the town.
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/12/14 12:20 AM
Sure looks 60's. I have a couple of stocks bought back the that are very close in design. I think Roy Weatherby started the trend.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/12/14 12:28 AM
Looks a lot like the Fajen "Aristocrat" style of stock that they offered in their catalog.
Posted By: johnr Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/12/14 12:47 AM
RHD45, I think you nailed it, found this online, Thanks.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/12/14 01:08 AM
Wow. My memory is holding up while everything else is falling apart.Not my cup of tea but still an artifact worth preserving.Kind of like all the 50's classic cars that got customized with some inspiration from Barris and Roth.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Pawn Shop 1903 Custom - 08/12/14 03:58 PM
One of my Idaho friends has used a .35 Whelen Improved for many years and MANY elk. Worth the price of the dies if you need a medium boomer, and easy to load down to deer/pig potency.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com