doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Vly_Quail Thomas Shelhamer Stock - 08/23/14 06:52 PM
Hi All, I have a Thomas Shelhamer stock made for a Magnum Mauser 98 action. I am thinking of selling it and am wondering what the value would be. The only negative it has going for it are a possible short length of pull (with a standard Mauser 98 it would be 13.5" with 1" pad installed installed. Don't know how the trigger placement differs on a Magnum action. An there is a repair job with would added where a Lyman 48 sight was added. Thanks for any information that can be provided in advance! Chris

Tom Shelhamer Stock

Posted By: RedofTx Re: Thomas Shelhamer Stock - 12/27/19 07:33 PM
Hello. I know this is a 5+ yr old thread, but I am in need of a Shelhamer Mauser stock. Is this still available, hoping beyond hope.
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Thomas Shelhamer Stock - 12/27/19 07:36 PM
I googled 'Shelhamer Stock', gentlemen, and this old thread came up. I didn't know if it would be on the main forum, or for sale, or where it would show. Is there a way to find out if Vly Quail still posts?
Posted By: keith Re: Thomas Shelhamer Stock - 12/27/19 08:47 PM
The last time Vly_Quail posted here was 8/23/2014. Considering he has a grand total of 10 posts between 2006 and 2014, it's a good bet that he seldom visits here. Unfortunately, there is no email or contact information in his profile. Good luck with your search for a stock.
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Thomas Shelhamer Stock - 12/27/19 09:30 PM
Thanks keith. I will have a Niedner Rifle in my hands in a week or 10 days or so. The existing stock is very amateurishly done. I will separate the action and stock, looking for a 3 or 4 digit number to try and date it, and look for other markings as well. I've already fished around on the net to see what a stock made in the spirit of the era of the rifle might cost. Thanks again. Robert.
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: Thomas Shelhamer Stock - 12/27/19 11:01 PM
Niedner Rifle Corp made and installed barrels. Most of the "Niedner's" for sale are simply guns rebarrel by the company or using their barrel.

There are many many stock makers that can provide a classic style and finished stock but the work is extensive so it does cost a bit.

If your speaking on the .257 Roberts that sold today I would simply see about having someone recut checkering and restore the existing stock.
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Thomas Shelhamer Stock - 12/28/19 02:58 AM
The rifle arrived at my ffl yesterday, 12/31. The number on the bottom of the barrel is 857, so 1931 was when this barrel was installed on this Mauser receiver, acc. to Mr. Petrov's book, vol.1 p.46.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com